Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lorenzo Alexander believes cap penalty forced him to leave Redskins

themurf

Hello again friends. Because you guys seemed to genuinely enjoy when I posted a link to the Phillip Daniels interview my "Two Guys, A Goat and a Sports Show" did a few weeks back, I figured I'd share with the class once again.

This time around we chatted with Lorenzo Alexander, who played in Washington for seven seasons before signing a free agent deal with the Arizona Cardinals. During our conversation, the Pro Bowler talked about a wide range of topics -- including why the 2013 Redskins special teams were so terrible, what stands out to him when he looks at Washington's current offense (which he'll play against Oct. 12) and, most interestingly, Alexander shared his belief that he'd likely still be sporting the burgundy and gold if not for the salary cap penalty placed on the Redskins.

All in all, it was a fun interview with a guy who was definitely a fan favorite during his time here. And the guy was kind enough to even give me a recommendation for where to eat the next time I'm in Arizona.

For those interested, the Alexander interview is the first segment on this week's show. Enjoy responsibly.

I always liked Zo. He really embodies a team first player. Remember his first year, when he tackled the guy without his helmet during preseason football? And he played a variety of positions whenever needed: LB, Guard, tackle (I think). I honestly bodice that he was a key part of the locker room leadership that we have really missed!

Thanks for posting again Murph, always a great topic and read. I always loved Zo and fortunately thought he was the teams only real terrible loss due to the cap penalty. Now as I look back though it appears the entire special teams and depth were severely hampered. 

I've always suspected that Lorenzo, our best special teams player, was a victim of the salary cap "penalty". Bottom line, BAD Skins decision...again.

He got paid more than he was worth anyways. He was paid like a guy who was going to compete for a starting job, we weren't going to pay him that way under Shanahan, cap penalty or no. Shanahan just didnt value ST's.

I've always suspected that Lorenzo, our best special teams player, was a victim of the salary cap "penalty". Bottom line, BAD Skins decision...again.

if the penalty forced the team to let go of a player it normally wouldnt have let go, then isnt it the penalty's fault and not the teams?  So F Mara...again

Thanks for posting again Murph, always a great topic and read. I always loved Zo and fortunately thought he was the teams only real terrible loss due to the cap penalty. Now as I look back though it appears the entire special teams and depth were severely hampered. 

Not a problem at all. I'm not sure how many people actually listened to the interview, but I found his comments about what went wrong with last year's special teams unit to be pretty on point. He wasn't just a bitter guy saying, "Of course they sucked without me." After he got hurt, he actually took time to watch the Redskins on film and then walked us through a few of the reasons why special teams were so bad.

And honestly, how often do you get to hear from an opposing player what stands out to them when they're preparing to play against your favorite team?

He got paid more than he was worth anyways. He was paid like a guy who was going to compete for a starting job, we weren't going to pay him that way under Shanahan, cap penalty or no. Shanahan just didnt value ST's.

Hence Skins had one of the worst special teams in the NFL.

if the penalty forced the team to let go of a player it normally wouldnt have let go, then isnt it the penalty's fault and not the teams? So F Mara...again

Seriously? The penalty's fault? Why not blame the NFL for picking on the poor 'ol Skins?

This only makes sense if you think the Skins went to the league and asked to be penalized lol...

What are you trying to say? That paying Lorenzo was NOT made more difficult by the penalty?

Hence Skins had one of the worst special teams in the NFL.

Seriously? The penalty's fault? Why not blame the NFL for picking on the poor 'ol Skins?

Actually it was Mara and Lurie who did pick on the Skins and the Cowboys.  I hope the reversal of the court decision allows the NFLPA to bring forth discovery and show what a fiasco it really has been. 

Actually it was Mara and Lurie who did pick on the Skins and the Cowboys. I hope the reversal of the court decision allows the NFLPA to bring forth discovery and show what a fiasco it really has been.

Actually, it was the NFL that punished the Skins- individual Owners lack that authority.

Always liked Zo, but not buying this really. I think he wanted too much money, or wouldn't structure a team friendly deal to work around the short term cap problem.

If you "liked Zo" a special team Pro Bowler but were willing to let him go, then you must have really liked Montgomery, Fred Davis, Joshua Morgan, Tanard Jackson, Wilson et al who the Skins decided to pay and retain.

How can you defend the personnel evaluation of a team that wins 3 games and fielded one of the worst special teams in Skins history?

What are you trying to say? That paying Lorenzo was NOT made more difficult by the penalty?

Hoo, boy lol...

Follow along:

- You said losing Lorenzo was a victim of the salary cap penalty.

- You then said not signing Lorenzo was a "BAD decision" by the Skins.

Now, hopefully you're reading those two things and going "Ohhhh...ok, I get what you're saying now" lol :D

But if not:

The salary cap penalty, for all intents and purposes, took that decision out of the hands of the Redskins' FO. It would be like saying I couldn't attend Harvard because they don't accept Black males, then saying it was a stupid decision on my part not to go to Harvard.

Wow! Great comeback.

I'm not derailing this thread to get into it, but you don't have a clear idea of what happened. I suggest going to the cap penalty thread and reading through it for a more complete understanding. This could still result in some severe consequences for the NFL as a whole thanks to Mara's personal agenda. Again why's and how's in the other thread,

Archived