Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Israel vows no let-up, Hamas defiant, as Gaza toll tops 120

visionary

And one murdered Palestinian in retaliation, burned alive I believe, plus his American cousin was beaten and jailed by Israeli police. Does that mean Palestine and the US are justified to start bombing campaigns or is three a magic number?

Pssst, that American wasn't white and his mother wears a hijab, so he doesn't count 

https://now.mmedia.me/lb/en/mena/555636-gaza-toll-hits-172-as-israel-campaign-enters-7th-day

Gaza toll hits 172 as Israel campaign enters 7th day

Israeli strikes on Gaza claimed the lives of a man and a woman early on Monday, medics said, raising the overall death toll to 172 as the campaign entered its seventh day.

Both died of injuries sustained in Israeli air strikes on Sunday, when another eight people were killed.

Late on Sunday Israeli strikes killed a 65-year old man in Deir el-Balah, in the southern part of the strip, a 20-year-old in Rafah adjacent to the Egyptian border, and two in Khan Yunis, also in the south.

One strike on the northern town of Jabaliya struck a house, killing a 14-year-old boy, emergency services spokesperson Ashraf al-Qudra said.

Shortly afterwards, another strike killed a woman in the Maghazi refugee camp in central Gaza, he said.

A man was killed in a raid on Beit Hanun in northern Gaza, where the Israeli army has warned it will sharply escalate its offensive and had urged residents to flee.

Elsewhere another person succumbed to injuries from an earlier strike, Qudra said, giving an overall toll of 172 dead.

About 1,230 people have been wounded.

Witnesses in Rafah also reported seeing gunmen killing a man in the middle of the street in what appeared to be the execution of someone suspected of collaborating with Israel.

No Israelis have been killed, and only three people have been seriously wounded since the start of the operation, one them a 16-year-old boy who was injured on Sunday during a strike on the coastal town of Ashkelon, medics said.

On Sunday morning, the Israeli military said it had struck to date 1,320 "terror targets" across Gaza, including 735 rocket launchers, 64 training bases and militant compounds, and 32 Hamas leadership facilities.

https://now.mmedia.me/lb/en/mena/555633-ban-deplores-palestinian-deaths-urges-against-ground-offensive

Ban deplores Palestinian deaths, urges against ground offensive

"Too many" Palestinian civilians have been killed, UN chief Ban Ki-moon said Sunday as he urged Israel to scrap plans for a potentially devastating ground offensive.

Repeating his call for a ceasefire, the secretary-general said he "feels a sense of responsibility for the Palestinians who, especially in the Gaza Strip, have long been denied the sense of freedom and dignity that they deserve," according to a statement released by his spokesperson Stephane Dujarric.

The situation in Gaza, with at least 170 Palestinians killed and no Israeli casualties, "appears to be worsening," Ban said, noting that the UN Security Council's call for a ceasefire had not been respected.

Reiterating his condemnation of the firing of rockets into Israel by the Islamist movement Hamas that rules Gaza, Ban demanded an "immediate cessation of these indecent attacks."

But a "deeply worried" UN chief also stressed that "too many Palestinian civilians have been killed, and any Israeli ground offensive will undoubtedly increase the death toll and exacerbate civilian suffering in the Gaza Strip."

"It is in the interest of both sides that steps toward dangerous escalation be replaced with immediate measures to end the fighting, thus preventing further casualties and greater risks to regional peace and security," the statement added.

"[ban] demands both sides move in this direction now."

http://www.thenational.ae/world/palestinian-territories/palestinians-flee-northern-gaza-as-israel-threatens-ground-attack#full

Palestinians flee northern Gaza as Israel threatens ground attack

In eastern Gaza, residents searched for five bodies of the Batsh family whose home was destroyed by an airstrikes on Saturday night. The attack killed 18 members of the family, including 19-year-old Samah, who was three months pregnant, and her one-year-old daughter Amal.

Samah’s relative, Ehab Al Batsh, 30, said the strike was so powerful that it flung her arm on top of a school dozens of metres away. One of Amal’s legs was found dozens of metres away from the blast site, which Mr Al Batsh called a “massacre and a war crime”.

Residents said the strike happened just after Gaza’s police chief, Tayseer Al Batsh, visited the house to pay Ramadan greetings. It was unclear whether Israel’s military was targeting Tayseer Al Batsh, whose relative, Majid, 50, owned the home.

Residents said Majid Al Batsh and nine other people in the house were killed, along with eight other relatives in surrounding homes, which sustained heavy damage.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/07/14/world/middleeast/israel-gaza.html?emc=edit_ae_20140713&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=67172246&_r=1&referrer=

For Israel, poised between international appeals for a cease-fire and a decision on whether to send ground forces into Gaza, the goal now is to ensure a longer lull in Gazan rocket fire, which badly wounded a 16-year-old in Ashkelon on Sunday. That can be achieved only by seriously degrading Hamas’s fighting capabilities, whether by military means or through diplomacy, Israeli officials say. Part of the strategy, they say, is to cause “pain” to Hamas and its leaders, whose houses — even those without weapons stores — Israel is bombing here.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel, who appeared on American talk shows on Sunday, emphasized that the Israeli Army was “prepared for any possibility” and that Israel wanted “sustainable quiet.” Before the weekly cabinet meeting, he said: “I don’t know when the operation will end. It might take much more time.”

There is little appetite for a return to the cease-fire of November 2012, which lasted about 19 months. Yuval Steinitz, the minister for strategic affairs, told Israel Radio that while the immediate goal was “quiet,” “the strategic goal is demilitarization.” He added, “We have to finally not be satisfied with a temporary filling, but do a root canal.”

But as the bombing and rocketing continued, there was growing international pressure on Israel to settle for a cease-fire, called for by France, Britain and a nonbinding resolution of the United Nations.

There will never be peace.

Arabs will have some satisfaction when Irsael is wiped off the face of the earth but then then will just turned their anger towards the  U.S.

Now, that is never going to happen.  So, this will go on for thousands of more years.

This is not a 1000 year struggle.    The modern state of Israel dates back to 1947, and that is when they pushed the thousands of year old Palestinian people into these concentration camps 70 years ago.   That's why the Palestinians in Gaza are pissed...

Oh and 1999 was the last year when there were no Israeli casualties due to terrorism...  which really isn't all that long ago.

Likewise the motivation to bloody the Palestinian's nose here is not some ancient grudge.    The excuse is probable the three Israeli teens who were murdered in the west bank.    The actual reason is likely the new unity government the Palestinians have formed with the PA and Hamas.   Israel is going to have a Zero tolerance policy towards the Palestinians because they can't tolerate any legitimization of the terrorist organization Hamas.   The Israelis think committing mass murder against civilians helps their case.    It doesn't.

According to the Israeli I interviewed this week, prior to the Israeli attack there were more than 200 missile attacks. It was Hamas' refusal for a ceasefire more than the three teenagers.

The monstrous killing of the three as well as the equally monstrous killing of the Palestinian teen as some kind of misplaced Hamirabi logic was tragic, but not the key catalyst.

Total Israeli deaths due to the Palestinian Rocket Strikes =  0.

Total Palestinian deaths due to Missile Fire  = 179 and counting  most of them civilians some women and children.

Total Israeli deaths due to the Palestinian Rocket Strikes =  0.

Total Palestinian deaths due to Missile Fire  = 179 and counting  most of them civilians some women and children.

I hear ya, but I've never bought the proportionality argument. If someone shoots at me with the intent to kill me that counts. Hamas over the last three days fired more than 450 rockets. Many missed some were iron domed.

I don't know that I agree with this kind of bombardment even if they are trying to minimize casualties by announcing which buildings they're about to bomb in advance. I particularly don't support any ground operation, but the idea that Israel shouldn't respond to literally hundreds of rocket attacks is baffling.

I hear ya, but I've never bought the proportionality argument. If someone shoots at me with the intent to kill me that counts. Hamas over the last three days fired more than 450 rockets. Many missed some were iron domed.

An incredible slective, self serving, and tourtured argument in favor of terrorising millions and butchering hundreds of innocents. It's an argument only an extremist could embrace.

I don't know that I agree with this kind of bombardment even if they are trying to minimize casualties by announcing which buildings they're about to bomb in advance. I particularly don't support any ground operation, but the idea that Israel shouldn't respond to literally hundreds of rocket attacks is baffling.

There is no military solution for Israel, just like their is none for the Palestinians. Israel is going to have to sit down and discuss their problems with the Palestinians and make hard sacrifices if there is ever to be any hope of peace.

Stupid useless displays of the military mismatch aren't helpful towards the eventual end. They just piss off more poeple and make an eventual peace farther away, or an eventual catastrophic reordering episode closer.

I think another invasion of Gaza isn't in Israel's interest. Even the Israeli's hawks are wary of such a move. The last time Israel tried a punitive invasion to teach a lesson, they lost their first major conflict in their history, and was the first time in Israel's history they withdrew leaving their enemey in the field after committing such a large force to deal with them. I think Gaza would be even worse..

Israel's going to be facing the same kinds of dug in bunkers, the same kinds of defenses, only they are also going to be conducting the operation in the middle of one of the most densly populated areas on earch... It's a no win situation for Israel...

I think Iron Dome is a public relations stunt... It's meaningless. Anytime you spend tens of millions to intercept an unguided rocket attack which probable cost on scale of $100 or $1000 you know it's a mess. It's another example of Israel buying into weapon systems designed to be used by a superpower, which Israel can't afford and will likely bankrupt her if she really has to make extensive use of them. It's a security blanket which isn't effective, and is being used as an impediment to peace...

Intent matters.

Intent matters only if you are trying to justify wholesale slaugher and there is no actual capability you can point too to support that justificaiton. Then

all you are left with is intent.

Palestinians are trying to kill a lot more Israelis then the Israelis are trying to kill Palestinians.

I don't think you know that... All you know is that this is another example of Israel killing orders of magnatude more innocents than they are suffering. Justifying such a lop sided body count of innocents based upon the devined intent of the Palistinians is preposterous.

Intent matters. Palestinians are trying to kill a lot more Israelis then the Israelis are trying to kill Palestinians.

Admiring your ability to divine the intent of entire nations of people. 

This is just laughable 

not at all, if Israel wished to they are perfectly capable of killing them all.

laughable is JMS dismissing rockets fired at cities and a nuclear reactor.

Intent matters only if you are trying to justify wholesale slaugher and there is no actual capability you can point too to support that justificaiton. Then all you are left with is intent.

If Israel was interested in "wholesale slaughter" they'd simply do it.  Thats not what they are doing.  They are warning residence before they bomnb, and in response, Hamas surrounds those weapons locations with civilains, and then cries on the news about loss of life.

The Palestinian rocket attacks are specifically targeting civilians.

Admiring your ability to divine the intent of entire nations of people. 

Yeah, that doesnt read right.  Im pretty sure though people know what I mean.

This is just laughable 

Why?  Are the Hamas rocket attacks preceded by warnings to leave the areas like the Israelis?

The Palestinian rocket attacks are specifically targeting civilians.

Admiring your ability to divine the target of a weapon that probably has a CEP of 50 miles.

If Israel was interested in "wholesale slaughter" they'd simply do it. Thats not what they are doing. They are warning residence before they bomnb, and in response, Hamas surrounds those weapons locations with civilains, and then cries on the news about loss of life.

While I'm certainly not certain you're wrong, would it be silly of me to ask if you've got some support for this claim?

Creating the world's largest outdoor prison and then economically choking it for decades is essentially killing people.

Netanyahu has no interest in peace, and its been clear in his words and actions over decades. 

Ont he second point, I agree.  It's way to valuable to Israel to have constant war (for both sides actually)

As for the first though, actions have consequences.  Wars have winners and losers.  What would the benefit to Israel be to lossen the chokehold?  It would lead to more (and better) rockets and attacks.

Admiring your ability to divine the target of a weapon that probably has a CEP of 50 miles.

While I'm certainly not certain you're wrong, would it be silly of me to ask if you've got some support for this claim?

Havent they essentially SAID they are launching them indiscrimately to cause terror?

Far different than what the Israelis are doing.

not at all, if Israel wished to they are perfectly capable of killing them all.

Yes they are... so you're argument is folks should be thankful Israel is only choosing to kill hundreds perhaps thousands, rather than millions...

The point is all killings on both sides is irrelivent. Israel can't kill enough palistinians to get them to give up on these kinds of defiant gestures.... and it's not going to be too long in the future when the Palistinian rockets will be capable of hitting specific buildings rather than geographic regions.

When that happens Israel won't be able to kill millions to "protect" themselves either...

All killing there is irrelivent...

Yes they are... so you're argument is folks should be thankful Israel is only choosing to kill hundreds perhaps thousands, rather than millions...

The point is all killings on both sides is irrelivent. Israel can't kill enough palistinians to get them to give up on these kinds of defiant gestures.... and it's not going to be too long in the future when the Palistinian rockets will be capable of hitting specific buildings rather than geographic regions.

When that happens Israel won't be able to kill millions to "protect" themselves either...

All killing there is irrelivent...

WHich is why Israel will continue to bomb weapons locations etc.  To prevent the Palistinians from reaching those capabilities.

And again, they are giving ample warning to leave the areas before they attack.  The loss of life would be tremendously minimized if people there would heed the warnings.

Ont he second point, I agree.  It's way to valuable to Israel to have constant war (for both sides actually)

As for the first though, actions have consequences.  Wars have winners and losers.  What would the benefit to Israel be to lossen the chokehold?  It would lead to more (and better) rockets and attacks.

Havent they essentially SAID they are launching them indiscrimately to cause terror?

I tend to agree. The is nothing Israel could do here that wouldn't lead to more wiping Israel off the face of the earth talk.

Surrounding nations are looking for an excuse to attack, and they are using the Palestinian people as their prop. They support them so much that they won't want them in their countries either.

The occasional ceasefire or truce that will last days or weeks or months. But this will go on forever.

The moment they start aiming and hitting targets with the rockets is the moment there are no warnings about what's coming. They'd flatten everything.

If you think Israel has a future pursuing this sort of actions, then there is no motivation.. Only there is no example in History of a state like Israel's long term security being served by brutal repression rather than negotiated settlement. We have plenty of examples in history right in this same geographic location of that being true.

Israel can not survive another 70 years like her first 70 years.

I don't know if Hamas or Hezballah before htem have said it.. but really that's all the rockets are good for.. they can't target buildings, but only large geographical regions... They shoot hundreds of hte things before they even hit anybody or anything of value... So far they've killed nobody after hundreds of sorte's.

IT is far different than the Israeli's who have kille 150 people with precision weapons which can hit specific windows in buildings or cars on crowded streets.

Archived