Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Redskins are letting RG3 call audibles this year...

Hail Em Up

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/30/redskins-are-letting-rg3-call-audibles-this-year/

Posted by Darin Gantt on June 30, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT

Last year, the focus was on Robert Griffin III getting well from a physical standpoint.

But this offseason, he’s impressed his coaches mentally to the point they’re letting him try new things.

According to John Keim of ESPN.com, Griffin will be given the opportunity to call some audibles this year, unlike his first two seasons under Shanahan rules.

He did an excellent job above the neck,” Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay said, “as far as absorbing the new system, some of the terminology, . . . He’s done an excellent job translating his knowledge in the meeting room onto the field, recognizing some of those looks.

“Some of the audible situations we’ll give him the opportunity to call things at the line. He’s shown he’s fully capable of doing it and that’s what gives him a great chance to have success this year.”

Given Griffin’s ability — when well — to make plays with his feet, giving him some options at the line of scrimmage can only add to his potential.

I was, and possibly even still AM, a huge Shanahan supporter.... but the more and more that leaks about the culture during his regime, I just shake my damn head. Glad to see the training wheels off this season. Say what you want about Robert, but the kid is undoubtedly one of the most intelligent people to play the position in a while.

Great news. Griffin clearly is one of the greatest athletes to ever play the QB position. If he gets the mental side down--the downfall of so, SO many great QB prospects--then watch out. The definition of unstoppable.

I miss Marty and "the audible." That was the best.

Refresh my memory? I was out of town for the entirety of Marty's time here (Army--basic and AIT IIRC)

Gruden said that he'd allow for audibles weeks ago, also going to have more no huddle. PFT is behind on this one. It's also a garbage site that hates us and is helping push the name crap. We really should stop linking to them and giving them clicks.

Gruden said that he'd allow for audibles weeks ago, also going to have more no huddle. PFT is behind on this one. It's also a garbage site that hates us and is helping push the name crap. We really should stop linking to them and giving them clicks.

by that logic, redskins.com is the only site on the internet redskins fans would not be boycotting.

by that logic, redskins.com is the only site on the internet redskins fans would not be boycotting.

Wrong. No issue with regular sites other than disagreeing with them. I'm talking about the over-the-top ones that constantly cover it with blatantly one-sided, agenda-driven nonsense. PFT, Post, deadspin, and the like. It's easy to understand the difference.

PFT's agenda is anti-team, not just anti-name. Those who understand that don't click on their links.

Wrong. No issue with regular sites other than disagreeing with them. I'm talking about the over-the-top ones that constantly cover it with blatantly one-sided, agenda-driven nonsense. PFT, Post, deadspin, and the like. It's easy to understand the difference.

PFT's agenda is anti-team, not just anti-name. Those who understand that don't click on their links.

This is true, havent gone to their site in years.

I was, and possibly even still AM, a huge Shanahan supporter.... but the more and more that leaks about the culture during his regime, I just shake my damn head. Glad to see the training wheels off this season. Say what you want about Robert, but the kid is undoubtedly one of the most intelligent people to play the position in a while.

I am clueless and befuddled why any Redskins fan would still be a Shahahan supporter at this point. The man was a cancer. He couldn't get along with his QB. He didn't even meet with his QB. In fact, now we know he didn't even meet with his team as he was very standoffish. He would stand AWAY from the practice players and watch but interract little to none from what people are saying.

If you listen to the Philip Daniels interview you find those things out as well as that the various coaches did not interact well with each other also. Everybody was compartmentalized and perhaps that is why that had a bad team...because there was no TEAM. It was different groups of players practicing in groups and meeting in separate groups with the Head Coach and Son off in their own world.

Nobody was having fun in the Shanahan administration and even the wives and girlfriends were pissed and felt isolated. Phillip Daniels was a great Redskin and he still has loyalty here although he is doing other things...but his perspective as a former assistant was absolutely eye opening and explains a WHOLE LOT about why this team appeared to be discombobulated last season.

Even from my computer room....I can already feel the positive changes brought in by Allen and Gruden!

Nobody was having fun in the Shanahan administration and even the wives and girlfriends were pissed and felt isolated. Phillip Daniels was a great Redskin and he still has loyalty here although he is doing other things...but his perspective as a former assistant was absolutely eye opening and explains a WHOLE LOT about why this team appeared to be discombobulated last season.

Even from my computer room....I can already feel the positive changes brought in by Allen and Gruden!

If you listen to PD93, though, he even says that was going on long before the Shanahans arrived. I'm not defending them, I'm just saying that I fear the fish may stink from further up the head.

But I digress, and in order to not derail the thread any further...I like this direction, and appreciate the positive vibes that seem to be disseminating right now.

Agree on this and it's too bad because the guy who wrote the post (Darin Gantt) is a pretty good writer. They also have some other good writers on there but the guy that runs the site (who I won't refer to by name from now on) is a clown blowhard.

Audibles were already happening.  I caught on to the simplicity of the audibles after seeing it once. 

I attended the Vikings-Redskins game this past year and sat three rows up on the 45-yard line behind the Vikings.

When RG3 would stand up and hold both his arms straight out, like he was making a T, the play became an outside zone to the strong side.  Literally figured it out after seeing it once, and I'm pretty sure the Vikings did for the next 4-5 times it was done.

If anyone has that game recorded, go back and look and it will be obvious to you.

I think it's a bit of an overstatement that Griff couldn't/didn't call audibles under Kyle.  From my understanding, Kyle had options built into each play call to minimize the need for calling totally new plays at the line of scrimmage.  I could be wrong.

You are right, but those options were known by our opposition. Thus, the 'They know what we are calling' talk last season. 

Nothing changed. 

Here's a good article regarding allowing Robert Griffin III checking things more at the line (which he should have been doing regardless), but hopefully Gruden is instilling this much more heavy then previous regime.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/07/02/the-importance-of-letting-robert-griffin-iii-make-changes-at-the-line/

(Sorry if posted already).

You are right, but those options were known by our opposition. Thus, the 'They know what we are calling' talk last season. 

Nothing changed. 

Kyle always had the mentality like the Defense wasn't earning a paycheck as well. He and Mike thought their plays and built in options would work no matter the Defense and it was the players fault if they did not. There was no such thing as adjusting on the fly with them. Everything was scripted. Outside of 2012 when they had Defenses off balance with the read option and play action passes off of it they never had much success with the Pass Offense in DC. 

On the topic of RG3, he got kinda crushed in this ESPN article where coaches, players, exces rated the QBS.  Here's hoping he proves the doubters wrong.

It's an Insider article so I'll just post what I can --

T-19. Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins (3.00 average rating)

Only five of the evaluators who cast ballots for Griffin placed him in the second tier. Fifteen placed him in the third tier. Five put him in the fourth. And when I spoke with a mix of players -- four defensive backs, two linebackers and two QBs -- they gave him a 4.1 grade on average. I decided against including the players' grades in the overall results because they tended to be exceedingly low. One GM put Griffin in the second tier despite some reservations about Griffin's personality. The veteran QBs I consulted separately crushed Griffin in that area. "He does not take any blame," one of them said. A head coach placed Griffin in the fourth tier and said, "I just don't think he can play in the pocket."

Health and durability are key variables. "Pre-injury and with [Mike] Shanahan and all the things they did [in 2012], I would put him in that two category with Wilson and Kaepernick," a defensive coordinator said. "If he is healthy, he adds a scary dimension because the kid can run and he is accurate enough, but post-injury, I don't know."

On the topic of RG3, he got kinda crushed in this ESPN article where coaches, players, exces rated the QBS.  Here's hoping he proves the doubters wrong.

It's an Insider article so I'll just post what I can --

T-19. Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins (3.00 average rating)

Only five of the evaluators who cast ballots for Griffin placed him in the second tier. Fifteen placed him in the third tier. Five put him in the fourth. And when I spoke with a mix of players -- four defensive backs, two linebackers and two QBs -- they gave him a 4.1 grade on average. I decided against including the players' grades in the overall results because they tended to be exceedingly low. One GM put Griffin in the second tier despite some reservations about Griffin's personality. The veteran QBs I consulted separately crushed Griffin in that area. "He does not take any blame," one of them said. A head coach placed Griffin in the fourth tier and said, "I just don't think he can play in the pocket."

Health and durability are key variables. "Pre-injury and with [Mike] Shanahan and all the things they did [in 2012], I would put him in that two category with Wilson and Kaepernick," a defensive coordinator said. "If he is healthy, he adds a scary dimension because the kid can run and he is accurate enough, but post-injury, I don't know."

They seem not to like Griffin's personality, but then they laud Carson Palmer for the attributes that Griffin has in abundance:

T-21. Carson Palmer, Arizona Cardinals (3.12 average rating)

Palmer is an interesting study because his production went from being pretty brutal through eight games last season (10 TDs, 14 INTs, 35.1 QBR score) to ranking among the NFL's best from that point forward (14 TDs, 8 INTs, 68.9 QBR).

Not many people seemed to notice. Twenty-three of 26 voters placed Palmer in the third or fourth tier. The eight players who gave Griffin a 4.1 grade on average combined to rate Palmer at 3.1, something I found interesting and somewhat surprising. "I really like Palmer," a veteran safety said. "He is a tough guy. I respect his game and his work ethic. I like the way he plays."

Excellent! I said it all along, we drafted RG3 in part for his smarts.  Lets use him! 

It seems a QB needs to be on the same page as his playcaller to maximize the offense, for it allows for last second adjustments that no OC can create with static play calls.  

It should also save on the many wasted timeouts we saw in the past 4 years. Not just RG3 backing out at the line - the play snuffed, but also standing there on the field waiting for calls to come in, Kyle fumbling through his playbook for a certain call. And of course, the failed headset that nailed us 2 weeks in a row to start games. Kyle would not even tell Robert what the first play would be. Let Robert call Morris up the gut, yeesh. Finally. 

This is about the best news I could have expected. I have been wanting to see a QB trusted with simple play calling for decades now. 

Easy to bash RGIII he had a poor season and we went 3-13, if he has a big year and we have a big year as a team they'll be back salivating over RGIII saying 2013 didn't count because of the knee.

It's up to RGIII to change the negativity swirling around him, Cam Newton had to go through the same thing and once the panthers had the playoff year this year the media has been salivating over him again all of a sudden. 

Archived