Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFF.com: QBs in Focus: Griffin and Cousins

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/06/23/qbs-in-focus-griffin-cousins/

Highlights:

RG3

Positives

•  Throws best to the right (+4.3).
•  Handles blitz pressure better than most (0.0).
•  Showed well on shorter drops (4-6 yards) at +2.6.
•  Among the league’s best on throws between 5-10 yards (+7.9), including an above average Accuracy Percentage of 80.7%.
•  One of the league’s best on third down at +9.5, particularly 3rd-and-Medium where his +6.2 ranked fourth in the league, and showed well whether blitzed (+3.0) or against traditional rush (+6.5).
•  Best grades came while throwing to outside wide receivers, including +3.2 when throwing to a tight end that was split wide.
•  Best route was post routes (+6.3), including +2.3 on play action

Negatives

•  Graded at -4.0 on passes in the 11-20 yard range.
•  Among the league’s worst on throws of 20+ yards (-7.1), particularly the 21-to-30-yard range (-4.0).
•  Below average on throws to the left (-1.3) and over the middle (-2.0).
•  Struggled against traditional rush at -7.0, particularly when pressured (-10.2).
•  One of the league’s worst on 9+ yard drops at -3.8.
•  After a strong showing as a rookie, Griffin was one of the league’s worst on play action at -5.3, including -9.0 on first down.
•  Graded poorly on crossing routes (-1.5) and go routes (-1.4).

Tendencies

•  Led the league with 148 drop-backs in the pistol, 27.9% of his total drop-backs
•  55.8% of passes came in the 1-to-10-yard range, second-highest percentage in the league. 33.9% of his passes came in the 5-to-10-yard range to lead the league.
•  Threw 58.9% of his targeted passes in between the numbers, well above league average.
•  24.1% of passes went to the right compared to only 17.1% to the left, one of the highest right-left discrepancies in the league.
•  Faced the blitz 31.7% of the time, right around league average.
•  22.5% of drop-backs in the 4-to-6-yard (3-step) range, one of the highest percentages in the league.
•  Only 15.8% of drop-backs in 9+ yard range, one of the lowest percentages in the league.
•  23% of drop-backs last at least 3.6 seconds, one of the highest percentages in the league.

Cousins

Positives

•  Sample size is small, but Cousins completed four of his 11 attempts on throws of 20 or more yards, including his only attempt over 40 yards.
•  Graded at +1.1 on his 19 drop-backs against blitz pressure
•  Graded at +1.0 on 7-to-8-yard drop-backs

Negatives

•  Graded at -7.4 on first downs
•  Struggled on passes between 1 and 10 yards, grading at -3.7 including -4.8 on passes in the 5-to-10-yard range.
•  Was average throwing outside the numbers, but -6.3 over the middle.
•  Graded at -7.0 against a traditional pass rush
•  Graded at -8.5 when taking a drop of 9 or more yards. Threw four of his seven interceptions.

Tendencies

•  8.0% of his drop-backs were designed rollouts, above the league average.
•  Attempted 59.0% of his passes between 1-10 yards, would have led the league with more attempts.
•  Threw 65.3% of his passes to the middle of the field, also would have led the league with enough attempts.
•  Threw 31.5% of his passes in the 2.1-to-2.5-second range.
•  Only threw screens on 4.2% of his passes, well below the league average of 9.7%.
•  Most commonly thrown routes were crossing routes, slants, and hitches.

I read this article earlier and was gonna post some of the observations in this thread:http://es.redskins.com/topic/374998-one-fans-look-to-the-futurerobert-griffin/page-7

Anyhow these are some thoughts looking at the postive vs the tendencies and how they could relate to Grudes/McVay passing game.

Positives
Handles blitz pressure better than most (0.0).

Not surprising but good news.

Showed well on shorter drops (4-6 yards) at +2.6.

If this offense is anything like the Bengals being good on short drops is good news because their offense had a lot of them. (30% of Dalton's passes were on 4-6 yard drops)

Among the league’s best on throws between 5-10 yards (+7.9), including an above average Accuracy Percentage of 80.7%.

Again not surprising but more good news because the bulk of the NFL passing game happens 5-10 yard range.

Its funny to see Griff's accuracy % in the midst of some people that swear he has/had accuracy issues.

One of the league’s best on third down at +9.5, particularly 3rd-and-Medium where his +6.2 ranked fourth in the league, and showed well whether blitzed (+3.0) or against traditional rush (+6.5).

Ditto above. Its amazing looking at these numbers that the previous staff couldn't build a more productive passing game.

Best grades came while throwing to outside wide receivers, including +3.2 when throwing to a tight end that was split wide.

^^This jumped out to me after reading this tendency in the passing game:

• Threw 58.9% of his targeted passes in between the numbers, well above league average.

From watching Bengals games this incongrunency (gladly) won't be a problem for Grudes. 55% of Dalton's passing were outside the numbers and the Bengals offense frequently flexed a TE out as WR.

It appear that Grudes offense will fit Griff's strength throwing to the outside/TEs. (as opposed to the previous staff, why base so much of the passing game between the numbers when Griff's throws better to the outside receivers?)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Pass-Location.png

You know what? One can argue that all of those negatives can be caused by him not having an off-season last year. Especially when it comes to the deep routes and the crossing routes. 

It also didn't helped that the O-Line was it was last year. However, still think that most of his problems were caused because of a lack of off-season. 

Of all the passes an NFL QB throws I think deep ball is the most dependent upon on other factors like receiving talent and scheme.

In 2012 Griffin was one of the leagues best with the deep ball and play-action because the scheme worked to get people open deep through play-action.

The league caught up to our play-action based passing attack and consequently Griffin went from being one of the better QBs in the NFL on the deep ball and playaction to one of the worst.

But I don't think his actual ability to throw the deep ball has changed, its always been one of his strengths even going back to Baylor.

But I don't think his actual ability to throw the deep ball has changed, its always been one of his strengths even going back to Baylor.

This. The touch on the long ball is either something you have, or you don't. It's obvious Jason Campbell didn't have it. It's obvious RG3 does. 

I think he has had more deep passes in his first two years with us than the Redskins QB's of the 2000s combined lol

If these stats are just based on the '13 season, then not sure how many realistic conclusions one can draw from that given:

- lack of offseason practice for Robert

- struggles in general on Oline in pass pro.

- teams loading the box to stop our run game

- Robert's issues in the pocket (for whatever reason you want to mention)

- overall downturn in WR/TE play unless your name was Garcon or Reed

And....with a different coach....would expect a very different data set this season. 

Think much of this data would be more relevant if coaching staff was the same.....among other items. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/06/23/qbs-in-focus-griffin-cousins/

Highlights:

RG3

Positives

• Throws best to the right (+4.3).

• Handles blitz pressure better than most (0.0).

• Showed well on shorter drops (4-6 yards) at +2.6.

• Among the league’s best on throws between 5-10 yards (+7.9), including an above average Accuracy Percentage of 80.7%.

• One of the league’s best on third down at +9.5, particularly 3rd-and-Medium where his +6.2 ranked fourth in the league, and showed well whether blitzed (+3.0) or against traditional rush (+6.5)

Interesting stats.

How did RGIII become "one of the best on third down" when the Skins were generally not good on 3rd down coversions.

I'm too lazy to find supporting stats :-)

This. The touch on the long ball is either something you have, or you don't. It's obvious Jason Campbell didn't have it. It's obvious RG3 does. 

I think he has had more deep passes in his first two years with us than the Redskins QB's of the 2000s combined lol

Exactly. I don't believe for a second that he doesn't throw a good deep ball. I've seen it time and time again.

Now ball placement is something different. He isn't great at "throwing guys open". Hopefully that changes

I remember commenting on the poor long ball. It's been a long time since we've had someone who could do those. You have to go back before Campbell. Campbell... <shudder>

Hopefully, DeSean Jackson helps that stat.

You only have to go back to 2012 for that.  Griffin was great at the long ball that year.

Does anybody have the Griffin report from 2012?

I really think that the 2014 Griffin is going to look more like the 2012 Griffin than the 2013 Griffin.  Some of that is hope.  

More of it is that I don't think the guy forgot how to play QB, I think he has more weapons, and I think that Gruden is going to be able to coach him up pretty well.  

What's interesting is that this year, I have a lot of confidence in Gruden coordinating the offense.  If he sticks to that, and let's Haslett handle the D, the offense should be pretty solid.  What happens to the defense is anybody's guess.  

But if Griffin has more physical talent than Dalton, and if he's able to pick up the offense, he could really thrive in it.  

Nice post.  Thanks.  It seems that Bob needs to work on throwing to the left.  Hopefully Jackson and Roberts will help with that issue.

I noticed that in warm ups last year and even in 2012.  Before the games, I would show up early with the rest of the nerds and watch warm ups.

His accuracy is way off when he throws accross his body (so, to the left).  Not sure why that is.  I don't know if the WRing talent is what was at fault.

Negatives

• Graded at -4.0 on passes in the 11-20 yard range.

• Among the league’s worst on throws of 20+ yards (-7.1), particularly the 21-to-30-yard range (-4.0).

^^Scheme (play-action not working) had a lot to do with this in my opinion, the year prior he was one of the best

• Below average on throws to the left (-1.3) and over the middle (-2.0).

meh doesn't seem very meaningful to me

• Struggled against traditional rush at -7.0, particularly when pressured (-10.2).

Interesting. I think scheme, pass protection and comfort within the shceme had a lot to do with this.

• One of the league’s worst on 9+ yard drops at -3.8.

Scheme issue for me, a deep drops is usually on play-action and our play-action passing game wasn't getting people open like it did in 2012

• After a strong showing as a rookie, Griffin was one of the league’s worst on play action at -5.3, including -9.0 on first down.

See above:scheme

• Graded poorly on crossing routes (-1.5) and go routes (-1.4).

These minor negatives are things is gonna have to improve on to become the QB we all think he can be.

A few quick comments on this:

-I've always been worried about RG3s intermediate accuracy dating back to his college days.  Could be that his system in college didn't require very many throws in this range, and it's something he'll get better at with repetition.   Though it could be part of a larger issue, and an inability to make the tough throws that require both touch/accuracy.  The passes that need to make it over the LBs, but beneath the safeties.  These are some of the most difficult throws to make in the NFL.  Though with the speed we have on the field now(RG3 coming back to health, and D-Jax over the top), these gaps will be a lot larger this season.

-Same for throwing to the left, could be nothing or it could be part of a larger issue.  I would really like to see if this is a trend throughout his playing career (college and pro).  If it is, it may have something to do with his mechanics.  Could have just been impacted by his knee, could be due to roll-outs to the left being that much more difficult to complete for a right-handed QB.  Long point short, if it's a trend it may be slightly worrisome, if it's a one year issue, it's nothing.

-As far as his deep ball, I'm not concerned at all.  Dating back to college he's had one of the best deep balls I've ever seen, and it's one of the better aspects of his game.  Was it the game v OK that he was back pedaling with seconds left in the game and launched a bomb in to the endzone for the W?

I think we'll see a much better RG3 this season as he becomes a dual threat again.  He doesn't necessarily need to run the ball, but when he's a threat to take the ball 70+ yards to the house on his feet, defenses are going to change their rush tactics (play more contain), reduce the % of blitzes, and reduce the % of plays in man coverage.  Expect Jordan Reed to have a field day finding the soft spots in the zone.

Negatives

• Graded at -4.0 on passes in the 11-20 yard range.

• Among the league’s worst on throws of 20+ yards (-7.1), particularly the 21-to-30-yard range (-4.0).

^^Scheme (play-action not working) had a lot to do with this in my opinion, the year prior he was one of the best

• Below average on throws to the left (-1.3) and over the middle (-2.0).

meh doesn't seem very meaningful to me

• Struggled against traditional rush at -7.0, particularly when pressured (-10.2).

Interesting. I think scheme, pass protection and comfort within the shceme had a lot to do with this.

• One of the league’s worst on 9+ yard drops at -3.8.

Scheme issue for me, a deep drops is usually on play-action and our play-action passing game wasn't getting people open like it did in 2012

• After a strong showing as a rookie, Griffin was one of the league’s worst on play action at -5.3, including -9.0 on first down.

See above:scheme

• Graded poorly on crossing routes (-1.5) and go routes (-1.4).

These minor negatives are things is gonna have to improve on to become the QB we all think he can be.

So, dg, in short, you believe the vast majority of the perceived negative aspects of the QB's performance last year cane as a result of flawed scheme?

So, dg, in short, you believe the vast majority of the perceived negative aspects of the QB's performance last year cane as a result of flawed scheme?

Yes. Absolutely. Scheme/playcalling had a huge roll in the issues on offense last year.

The offense was very predictable.

Don't want to re-hash as I'm a broken record the topic.

But yeah the offense would run a series of 'set-up' plays to establish play-action passing that didn't work. (normally it was a few Pistol I-read option look with a mix of RB inside/outside, QB keep and 2-man route max protect play-action where the Z runs a go and the X runs a deep over/crossing route...and defenses had this covered often goes as far as to double both WRs at times). You know what a QB does after they hit the top of their drop off play-action and no one is open? (Panic) j/k they hold the ball or scramble around or force a throw...they could also throw it out of bounds or hit the checkdown (when/if its open). Ideally you want/expect play-action to work much better then ours did last year BUT when its not working you can't keep doing the same thing.

The passing tendencies bear this out as well. The passing game threw mostly over the middle when Griff's strength was on the outside.

Griff did his best work throw quickly and with short drops....you know kinda like spread shotgun no huddle which Griffin did well but wasn't called often.

The best news is that Griffin's strengths seem to match-up with Grudes/Dalton Cinci offense in terms of throwing quickly, throwing outside, throwing deep.

Archived