Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Phillip Daniels speaks out on time with Redskins coaching staff

themurf

While that's true, I kinda think Daniels is extrapolating his own experiences as a player onto the current players to a certain degree...at least when it comes to the players having the mentality of "If the money is close, bolt to another team".

Isn't he suggesting that players 'bolt' because they don't feel that Redskins Park is doing enough for them & their families?

Isn't he suggesting that players 'bolt' because they don't feel that Redskins Park is doing enough for them & their families?

No he is not suggesting this at all. You have not been to Redskin Park since they re-did the facility. New weight room, new cafeteria and a full time chef.. Improvements were made last year. It wouldn't hurt to visit again my friend.

No he is not suggesting this at all. You have not been to Redskin Park since they re-did the facility. New weight room, new cafeteria and a full time chef.. Improvements were made last year. It wouldn't hurt to visit again my friend.

I did visit just a few months ago. I wasn't impressed. A small weight room for an NFL team and a basic cafeteria with few frills. Good simple food, but really nothing to shout about.

I did visit just a few months ago. I wasn't impressed. A small weight room for an NFL team and a basic cafeteria with few frills. Good simple food, but really nothing to shout about.

Yeah, just from viewing the photos and videos posted on Redskins.com I can see that their weight room is really not that spectacular. I would have expected more from a professional level athletic department. IMO it looks like the weight room is cramped with all the guys in their lifting.

Either Dan Snyder simply has no interest in running an organization that focuses on and develops its talent, or he has hired people who have no interest in this stuff. 

As always, it starts at the top 

+1,2,3,4,5,6....10

Sounds about right. Redskins had more player suspensions than any team in the league over the past four seasons and the coach and GM don't think it's worthwhile to meet with the player development guy. A guy who also happens to be a Redskins alum and all around solid guy

A guy like Phillip Daniels deserves better than this perma-dysfunction. Best wishes to him going forward, wish we were not so perpetually dumb

Nice reporting Murf

Or maybe this is what happens when you give all the control to one guy and he has his way with it? I suspect Bruce is not this kind of leader and that this is a result of a Shanahan environment. 

So, Bruce has neglected to organize any "team building" activities, meet with the director of player development, piss off some alums for not getting an invite to the Homecoming game etc., all because Shanny made him do or not do these things?  I think that's a stretch.

I'm hoping the Shanny purge is what we needed as a franchise, and I hope Gruden can take us where we want to go.  

I still can't believe that anyone on here is still willing to give Snyder a pass or a "wait and see" approach.  He's a jackass.

Sounds about right. Redskins had more player suspensions than any team in the league over the past four seasons and the coach and GM don't think it's worthwhile to meet with the player development guy. A guy who also happens to be a Redskins alum and all around solid guy

A guy like Phillip Daniels deserves better than this perma-dysfunction. Best wishes to him going forward, wish we were not so perpetually dumb

Nice reporting Murf

Those suspensions were for PEDs, correct? Daniels reports in that interview that the NFL supplement hotline is/was worthless. Maybe he should have disseminated a little more info on what is/isn't safe to his charges?

I sometimes wonder if any Skins fans will ever be happy with Snyder and company. The Patriots had a serial killer on the roster but their Pro Development guy is doing a heck of a job I bet.

I tend to think that we are too critical of the Skins and what they do. The Skins won the East when Daniels was not meeting with the coaching staff. I think the conclusions being drawn from this interview are overblown.

I sometimes wonder if any Skins fans will ever be happy with Snyder and company. The Patriots had a serial killer on the roster but their Pro Development guy is doing a heck of a job I bet.

I tend to think that we are too critical of the Skins and what they do. The Skins won the East when Daniels was not meeting with the coaching staff. I think the conclusions being drawn from this interview are overblown.

PD is a stand up guy.  This isn't some sour grapes coming from Lavar.

It's not just this interview, it's fifteen years of garbage like this.  I will always hate Snyder, no matter how good we might become in the future.  He's a piece of ****.

The dysfunction of this organization can never be overblown. :)

PD is a stand up guy.  This isn't some sour grapes coming from Lavar.

It's not just this interview, it's fifteen years of garbage like this.  I will always hate Snyder, no matter how good we might become in the future.  He's a piece of ****.

The dysfunction of this organization can never be overblown. :)

I don't think Daniels is upset or trying to hurt the Skins' reputation, I believe that he is sincere in his disappointment that more could have been done especially since he seemed willing to help. I just don't buy that this is a problem or even an indication that the Skins are a dysfunctional mess. 

But I also believe that these football players are men that have an unbelievable opportunity to play a game for a living. They have every incentive to act as professionally as possible. Do you believe that providing a budget to take the wives and girlfriends out to dinner once a month will really make a difference? I don't. I'll bet you that a solid game plan combined with good coaching will do more to win games than taking the wives out for drinks on the Danny. Call me old fashioned.  

PD  is awsome, i love the fact he is always open and I truely believe he says it as he sees it ... and there is a butt comming. Sometimes there is a "some-one-else" should be doing this mentality. And it is not just a dig at PD, it is something everyone experiences at work. Its some one elses responsibility...

If I can take a couple of points from Daniels interview - there was never a budget and he never had a meeting with Bruce or Mike... well if that was stopping him from doing his job then he should have made sure there was a budget, made sure there were meetings... hell I am sure Redskins FO use outlook express or similar ping a meeting request if thats what you want, pester his PA, wait in the coridors or pester the coach/GM at the water cooler... in the car park on the practice field eventually they will relent...

Also the supplements hotline is rubbish ? Wasn't PD an NFLPA rep at one point, is he not involved in personal training gyms etc? Why did he not try and get it improved. Sometimes all it takes is one voice to get others thinking on the subject and making improvements... but again it was someone elses responsiblity- so he can critize it - but not actually do something about it..

And fianally... taking the families on a night out or team building exercises... Football players earn a lot of money even PS players - how hard is it to arrange something amongst yourselves, arrange it and pay fot it - or arrange it then suggest to Mr Snyders finance team that it is a team expense and find some way to work it ... but again it is someone elses responsiblity to do that kind of thing ...

The point I am making is while the comments PD has are valid, i am also sure that he knows looking back he could have probably done more - but these comments were just things that I can bet have been bothering PD and reflective of his time in that role with the team and his own oppinions and perceptions, and Mike Shanahan could do an interview tomorrow and say;

" welll Philip Daniels is a great guy but as a player development guy, he never seemed to push for a meeting to get accross his ideas, you know not once did we have a meeting with him, not even to explain what was going on with the rash of suspensions we had while he was here. He never really seemed to connect with the players either or their extended families, I would have thought he would have arranged a team event or something, maybe where wives and girlfriends would have come along...."

Perceptions change depending on who is telling the story...

To use this as yet another stick to bash the FO with then meh it is a little churlish..

This may be playing devils advocate...but Dan Snyder is relatively new to this pro ownership business. It takes awhile.

Case in point (if you care)...I recently started a contracting company here in the DC area

Snyder wasn't starting from scratch.  He was taking over an established franchise, but he came in with a scorched-earth policy with regard to the non-football organizational structure.  Long-standing employees were let go in place of his own people.  There were many stories about the atmosphere of fear that pervaded the halls of Redskins Park after he took over.    So if you want to bring all your own people in, that's fine, but the downside is you lose institutional memory about how the organization is run.  Fifteen years later, that seems to have been the case here.  Maybe he could have smoothed the learning curve had he took counsel from people who had been there instead of just letting them go. 

?

I sometimes wonder if any Skins fans will ever be happy with Snyder and company. .

You seem to imply here that there is some reason we should. The mantra in the last Snyder thread was "well at least he's not Haslam!" (And they were 100% serious)

It is really quite fascinating.

Snyder wasn't starting from scratch.  He was taking over an established franchise, but he came in with a scorched-earth policy with regard to the non-football organizational structure.  Long-standing employees were let go in place of his own people.  There were many stories about the atmosphere of fear that pervaded the halls of Redskins Park after he took over.    So if you want to bring all your own people in, that's fine, but the downside is you lose institutional memory about how the organization is run.  Fifteen years later, that seems to have been the case here.  Maybe he could have smoothed the learning curve had he took counsel from people who had been there instead of just letting them go.

Better yet, if this is your strategy, have some competence with regard to organizational functionality, talent acquisition, and basic management skills before you tear it down

For the record I think Redskins Park in 1998 needed a shakeup in the worst way, but what we didnt need was a shakeup from an owner that was bad at building organizations

That's all in the past. I can forgive and forget, but damnit if we don't see the same mistakes being made over and over again

Do you believe that providing a budget to take the wives and girlfriends out to dinner once a month will really make a difference? I don't. I'll bet you that a solid game plan combined with good coaching will do more to win games than taking the wives out for drinks on the Danny. Call me old fashioned.  

Successful organizations don't see this as an either/or choice. Of course they need to focus on success on the field. But having a few unpaid interns organize activities for the wives and young families a few times a year wouldn't distract from winning a Superbowl.

I didn't know the Redskins organization before Snyder took over, but I can tell you that in all my interactions with them over the past decade and more they haven't impressed me as a professional organization that I want to give business to. When the Redskins try to sell me corporate hospitality it's like dealing with a snotty unskilled timeshare salesman. We take our business elsewhere because the sales process is so unprofessional.

Enlightening!

I'm sure we'll never hear an alpha male admit that the reason he left Dallas was because his wife couldn't find a reasonable place to drive without the smell of cow dung in the air. Or she couldn't stand another wink from that Skeletor owner. 

Lmao!

I think my point is that we as fans really don't know what it takes to run a professional football team, successful or otherwise. And because we lack the requisite knowledge to make an informed decision as to what constitutes best practices I find it disingenuous to make sweeping proclamations about the organization any time some inside information is revealed. 

For example, because Daniels was not meeting regularly with the coaches he cannot tell us what was going on in the meetings that were taking place. Maybe they were very concerned about the players and their personal lives. We don't know because there is no other evidence offered. Yet the tone of the interviewers and the subsequent commentaries were all negative and pointed to this tidbit as proof positive that the Redskins are a dysfunctional mess.

Maybe Daniels feels that he let his employers down by not doing more and is trying to assuage his guilt by assigning blame? I know that when I left the VA I had some guilt as to the work I left undone. Mind you I received" Outstandings" on every job appraisal. I wanted to do more but due to structural problems within the VA I was unable to. It is possible that Daniels wanted more from his time and position with the Redskins, end of story. Why do we have to jump on the organization and start all this handwringing just because Daniels provided info that was exculpatory as to his lack of results?

If you don't like Snyder or his sales staff or the way things are done in Ashburn that is certainly your right. But the kneejerk blame Snyder reaction is just a little played out.

If you don't like Snyder or his sales staff or the way things are done in Ashburn that is certainly your right. But the kneejerk blame Snyder reaction is just a little played out.

The problem here is that you are assuming that the reaction to this is knee jerk.  It's not.  It's another small stroke on the painting of the big picture of Snyder and his reign as owner, and I think most here see it as such. 

The underlying point here, is that for whatever reason, we continue not to do things that winning organizations do.  And I don't have to have a PhD. in running football organizations to figure that one out.

Let's say there is a group of people who hate Snyder and a group of people who love him. Let's also say that one of these groups had come to that conclusion based on what has actually happened over the last 15 years since he's owned the team and the other group feels the way they feel despite that reality.

Which group is which?

This poor reflection of Bruce Allen worries me.  I'm still not sure he is anything more than an empty suit.

I have had a few personal interactions with Allen and he does not strike me as an empty suit.  The empty suit is Larry Michael!!!

Let's say there is a group of people who hate Snyder and a group of people who love him. Let's also say that one of these groups had come to that conclusion based on what has actually happened over the last 15 years since he's owned the team and the other group feels the way they feel despite that reality.

Which group is which?

Is there a third alternative? 

Let's say there's this group of people that realize their reach ends in their fingertips and as they lack the billions of dollars it would take to buy the team choose to support the Redskins through good and bad. There was a Redskins before Snyder and there will be one after him too. Stay medium. :)

Is there a third alternative?

Let's say there's this group of people that realize their reach ends in their fingertips and as they lack the billions of dollars it would take to buy the team choose to support the Redskins through good and bad. There was a Redskins before Snyder and there will be one after him too. Stay medium. :)

Sure, my hypothetical was aimed at the comments like, "people are going to hate Snyder no matter what" that get thrown out when someone criticizes the owner. If there is a person who thinks he's a terrible owner and a person that thinks he's a good owner, which one is basing their opinion on what he's actually done with this team and which one will feel that way "no matter what"?

Edit: it's entirely possible to support the team while admitting we have a crap owner.

Sure, my hypothetical was aimed at the comments like, "people are going to hate Snyder no matter what" that get thrown out when someone criticizes the owner. If there is a person who thinks he's a terrible owner and a person that thinks he's a good owner, which one is basing their opinion on what he's actually done with this team and which one will feel that way "no matter what"?

If you're asking me if I think Snyder has done more wrong than good then I will obviously say he has done more wrong. I don't think you can question that. I just get a little tired of everything that comes out is the worst thing possible because Snyder and dysfunction and well he's a poopy head too. It is the national narrative at this point.

Archived