Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Phillip Daniels speaks out on time with Redskins coaching staff

themurf

If you're asking me if I think Snyder has done more wrong than good then I will obviously say he has done more wrong. I don't think you can question that. I just get a little tired of everything that comes out is the worst thing possible because Snyder and dysfunction and well he's a poopy head too. It is the national narrative at this point.

I'm tired of it too. Mostly because it's true and I'm tired of my favorite team looking like a joke. He's terrible. One of the worst owners in sports.

Synder is not perfect as an owner. He just seems to be a guy, a local hard core skins fan that parlayed his telemarketing company into a goldmine via the telecom bubble, into owning the Skins  And no one expects him to be the perfect owner. While the culture at Redskins Park may not rival that of other organizations, I feel like he is learning as an owner and do expect less stories like this to come out in the future.

It seems like they did Daniels a good deed and got him a job, and while it was not the job he wanted it to be, at least they gave him a job. It just seems a bit ironic he is the one complaining. That old adage, if you don't have anything good to say.... vent to the internet keep it to yourself. 

He should tell Dan how he feels, not the media. That is not the way to get through to Dan, it seems. 

If you're asking me if I think Snyder has done more wrong than good then I will obviously say he has done more wrong. I don't think you can question that. I just get a little tired of everything that comes out is the worst thing possible because Snyder and dysfunction and well he's a poopy head too. It is the national narrative at this point.

It is quite remarkable how much hate we get as an organization despite never winning. We can't even be the lovable losers. We are the losers that everyone seems to hate

As PD stated: he doesn't believe we have the guy's up front on the O-line to protect RG3...and that is our MO under Snyder, a guy who grew up cheering the hogs, has no desire to invest in the O-line...well we did draft 2 players, 1 who may not be able to beat out Tyler Polumbus...how exciting?? And another who is coming off knee surgery. Lauvao is nothing special, maybe an upgrade, but that isn't saying much considering..

If RG3 cannot get comfortable in the pocket, it will be another long season...

As PD stated: he doesn't believe we have the guy's up front on the O-line to protect RG3...and that is our MO under Snyder, a guy who grew up cheering the hogs, has no desire to invest in the O-line...well we did draft 2 players, 1 who may not be able to beat out Tyler Polumbus...how exciting?? And another who is coming off knee surgery. Lauvao is nothing special, maybe an upgrade, but that isn't saying much considering..

This seems like a contradiction: "no desire to invest in the O-line"..."we did draft 2 players". And the 2 players were drafted in the 3rd round. That's a pretty decent investment. 

The fact that 1 has a knee injury & 1 may not be able to beat out Tyler Polumbus (speculation at this point) has more to do with the scouting team, internal player analysis & decision making than it does on Snyder not wanting to invest in OL, doesn't it? 

I get that the Skins aren't tossing large dollars at FA OL (save for a few...i.e., Chester). And I'm not trying to derail the thread, but I think it's unfair to say "no desire to invest in the O-line" when several mid-level draft picks have been used on the OL over the past several years. It's usually those rounds (3 - 6) where starting OL are typically found. Obviously, that doesn't include the stud LTs & all-world Gs, RTs & Cs that are sometimes selected in round 1 & 2. 

Like many here, I haven't been blown away by the selections (LeRib, Long, Moses come to mind) but that's on the people making the picks, not Snyder. 

Perceptions change depending on who is telling the story...

To use this as yet another stick to bash the FO with then meh it is a little churlish..

Completely agree.

And can we stop making the claim that the latest "evidence" of dysfunction is the "difference between the Redskins and winning franchises"...Under Snyder, there have only been two real differences between the Skins and "winning franchises":

1) The Skins never had a real GM...not a de facto GM or GM-by-committee.

2) The Skins never had a franchise QB.

Nothing else really matters. I have zero clue how many family outings the Patriots conducted with their players, or if their Director of Player Development has any gripes or complaints about things within that organization. What I do know, though, is that they've had one guy act as a bonafide GM, and they've had a franchise QB. The number of times the players have all gone bowling together probably is gonna fall further down the list lol.

1) The Skins never had a real GM...not a de facto GM or GM-by-committee.

2) The Skins never had a franchise QB.

Agree,

2.  Yes, you win with franchis QB's

1.  I would specifically say the ability to acquire, through FA and draft, high quality players.  Coaching will get you so far.  Talent is what separates teams in this league and we have not been able to acquire enough of it since before 1991.

FO dysfunction has simply added to the losing.

I like where we are now as an organization.  Just have to wait and see if the "pickers" can acquire the talent needed and our QB can demonstrate he is a franchis QB.

Synder is not perfect as an owner. He just seems to be a guy, a local hard core skins fan that parlayed his telemarketing company into a goldmine via the telecom bubble, into owning the Skins And no one expects him to be the perfect owner. While the culture at Redskins Park may not rival that of other organizations, I feel like he is learning as an owner and do expect less stories like this to come out in the future.

It seems like they did Daniels a good deed and got him a job, and while it was not the job he wanted it to be, at least they gave him a job. It just seems a bit ironic he is the one complaining. That old adage, if you don't have anything good to say.... vent to the internet keep it to yourself.

He should tell Dan how he feels, not the media. That is not the way to get through to Dan, it seems.

1- No more "He is learning" excuses for Dan a Snyder please. 15 years is not a short time. If the basics of establishing a positive corporate culture still remain absent, it's because Dan wants it that way or he's incompetent.

2- PD isn't complaining that he didn't get the job he wanted when he says they shut him out and didn't give him a budget. What he's saying is they didn't give him what he needed to do his job and they didn't value his position.

1- No more "He is learning" excuses for Dan a Snyder please. 15 years is not a short time. If the basics of establishing a positive corporate culture still remain absent, it's because Dan wants it that way or he's incompetent.

2- PD isn't complaining that he didn't get the job he wanted when he says they shut him out and didn't give him a budget. What he's saying is they didn't give him what he needed to do his job and they didn't value his position.

When did Phil Daniels become the authority of everything Redskins behind the scenes? He sounds very bitter to me so I take his words with a grain of salt. Exactly who hired him, and who didn't give him money, was that Mike, by chance?   I thought Mike had full control. 

If you think team owners learn it all / know it all in 15 years why have so many struggled to win it all?  I see Dan learned to back off and let "the experts" do their thing. Sure he got burned by Shanahan doing just that, so I bet he learned from this past year, too. 

I think the days of Dan the Villain are ending. Its so 5 years ago. Mike just happened to have a bigger ego, and set Dan's organization back. I for one have no problem giving Dan more time, well, since I have no choice anyways.

And can we stop making the claim that the latest "evidence" of dysfunction is the "difference between the Redskins and winning franchises"...Under Snyder, there have only been two real differences between the Skins and "winning franchises":

I said it was different, and not 'the difference'.  Huge, uh...difference. :)

And can we stop calling every person on here who hates SNyder with every fiber of their being a 'chicken little' or a 'debbie downer'?

I wouldn't spit on Snyder if his tutu was on fire, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't go to war with our players and coaches.  

It is possible to despise the man and still pull for our team.  They aren't mutually exclusive.

So, you would be much happier if the Skins "invested" in a 1st rounder, a 3rd rounder, an 11th rounder, and two undrafted free agents for the OL? Because that's what the original Hogs consisted of.  But we can't forget Raleigh McKenzie…he was an 11th rounder also.

Hell, the Skins have a 1st rounder and three 3rd rounders (that they drafted) on the roster right now.  

And can we stop calling every person on here who hates SNyder with every fiber of their being a 'chicken little' or a 'debbie downer'?

Have you met the guy and spent any time with him, because if you haven't i think hating a guy because of your perception of him is a little .... irrational at best. I mean hate is such a strong emotion I cannot think of anyone I personally hate right now. I might dislike people or disagree with them but to hate is well very negative...

One other thing I would like to say about Philip Daniels which I thought was quite interesting. When the team initially released him he was offered a coaching intern position, a position he now says he would like to get into... coaching that is, but at the time he stated he wanted to try and find another playing position. Well that is fine and as it turned out there were simply no opportunities for him.

Then I am guessing he reaproached the team enquiring if the coaching position was still available but I guess that was not an option and the team offered him an adminstrative role with the team insted.... a position I am not sure the team has filled since or really had before Daniels so (and I could be corrected here) but the team seems to have created this opportunity for him. And this is the thing that bothers me. It sounds like it was not what he expected and he and the team moved on, but insted of keeping water under the bridge water under the bridge PD seemed quite bitter in his experience - but also I would say I simply don't think he made enough of his opportunity - or he could not see it going where he wanted it to go...

The media in Washington loves to sell a bad news story and no disrespect to Murph I think your work is fantasitic and I also am not really having a go at Daniels here, but it always seems easier to critise than help....

The FO appears disfunctional because we have not got a history of winning .

I believe part of the reason for that is we constantly change things in the FO more typically because of media and fan pressure... but the more things change the more they stay the same.... I like what we are doing with Bruce Allen and I hope he has an opportunity to build the team his way for the next 5-10 years - establish an identity and the dysfunctionality of the FO will be the Redskins way - Much like the Dysfunctionality of the Patriots has been disguised as the Patriot way for the last 14 years...

So, Bruce has neglected to organize any "team building" activities, meet with the director of player development, piss off some alums for not getting an invite to the Homecoming game etc., all because Shanny made him do or not do these things?  I think that's a stretch.

I'm hoping the Shanny purge is what we needed as a franchise, and I hope Gruden can take us where we want to go.  

I still can't believe that anyone on here is still willing to give Snyder a pass or a "wait and see" approach.  He's a jackass.

PD is a stand up guy.  This isn't some sour grapes coming from Lavar.

It's not just this interview, it's fifteen years of garbage like this.  I will always hate Snyder, no matter how good we might become in the future.  He's a piece of ****.

The dysfunction of this organization can never be overblown. :)

Glad to see you have an open mind when it comes to Snyder, hahaa. Nobody is giving him a pass, I certainly believe he is done more harm than good thus far, I do however see some good and some growth. That said he is probably still a little @@@@ head when dealing with employees, vendors and other subordinates. 

As for PD, we don't know exactly what went down and how, it could easily be sour grapes. I don't understand how you get a title like that with no plan or power to enact policy. I personally would not have accepted the paper title if that were the case and I already had my life plan together. Something is fishy, and I suppose we the "fans" will never know the truth. Certainly PD appears to be a stand up family guy who would give his all for others, teammates especially. Again, don't know where the deal went south, but I am sure some of what both sides did lead to the breakdown. 

I have met Bruce twice and chatted briefly with him, once a little longer. In my background and training I have an gained an ability to judge people, having trained others does that for you. Bruce first is approachable, why would that be different in work place. Two, Bruce talks in visions and growth, he spoke this way about players and the organization. I would be surprised to learn that this was exclusively to impress some fan he had just met.

I really had hoped PD would be with the team for many years, putting his stamp on the moral character and work ethic of the team. You might have a point that it all begins and ends with Snyder's handling of upper management. I do suspect though unlike many that Shanahan's dark cloud of overbearing management and self absorption had many affects on the Qwan surrounding the team. 

I wouldn't spit on Snyder if his tutu was on fire

We? Is there a Snyder Haters club? You wouldn't save a guy burning up wearing a tutu? The Hate is strong in you my friend, I think that is unheathly IMO. I never met the guy, I don't deal with him, do you? I hate telemarketers, does that mean I hate Snyder? 

So, you would be much happier if the Skins "invested" in a 1st rounder, a 3rd rounder, an 11th rounder, and two undrafted free agents for the OL? Because that's what the original Hogs consisted of.  But we can't forget Raleigh McKenzie…he was an 11th rounder also.

Hell, the Skins have a 1st rounder and three 3rd rounders (that they drafted) on the roster right now.

Russ Grimm 3rd rd, Mark May 1st rd, That aside...we do not have the ability to identify talent, we have been beyond mediocre in that dept. in the Snyder era, we do not posses Beathard like ability at talent evaluation, which means you better move your percentages up for a better player into the early rds..

Do you believe under Snyder direction, we will find those types of players late in the draft? after 12 yrs I think it's safe to say no!

We devoted our 1st pick in this past draft to an OLB, that is the mindset under Snyder, so while we prepare for Rak's "possible" departure, there is a good chance RG3 will be running for his life once again, because he will have no time in the pocket.

In one of the most "potentially" talented draft's in history, we can't find a guy to supplant Polumbus? OK maybe we did, but the word is; Moses isn't going to be parting the sea's of running lanes early on, and is learning how to bend, and stay low...next week he start's working on how to properly tie a shoe..it just does not seem all that encouraging.

Kory lichtensteiger will be anchoring this year's line at center, when was the last time we had a center that doesn't get jacked into the backfield on a regular basis?

So using a 1st (Trent) and three 3rds is not good enough because "we do not have the ability to identify talent"…am I getting that right? Because it seems like your argument was Snyder: "has no desire in investing in the O-line". Because, that is what you said.

​So my question to you is…is drafting one 1st rounder and three 3rd round O-linemen considered making an investment? Yes or No?

Your side/deflective argument of Snyder's Skins not be able to identify talent so they have to use every early round pick on O-line is…well…kinda dumb, imo.  Maybe they should trade every pick after the 2nd round also…since they are useless...or are those picks good for other positions just not O-line?  And judging the Skin's draft picks before they even put on pads…well, I don't think that's too bright either.  

Sorry if I am coming off as a dick , but it is infuriating reading such nonsense…even if it is just years of bottled up frustration.  Believe me, we are all frustrated.

So using a 1st (Trent) and three 3rds is not good enough because "we do not have the ability to identify talent"…am I getting that right? Because it seems like your argument was Snyder: "has no desire in investing in the O-line". Because, that is what you said.

​So my question to you is…is drafting one 1st rounder and three 3rd round O-linemen considered making an investment? Yes or No?

You didn't ask me, but my answer is "yes" lol...

I remember back during Shanahan's first draft he was praised to the hilt for not only drafting Williams but also Cook and Capers...in the 7th round lol. That was seen at the time as proof Shanny was investing in/addressing the OLine and that it was something "Vinny would never do".

So yeah, three 3rd round picks used on the OLine in 2 3 years should qualify as "investing in the oline", especially when we only had 2 draft picks (out of 6) in the first 2 rounds to use ON an OLineman over that timespan.

Archived