Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Phillip Daniels speaks out on time with Redskins coaching staff

themurf

Okay guys, I feel like I have been away far too long. That's my bad. As you may or may not know, I have a podcast called "Two Guys, A Goat and a Sports Show" with Caps super fan Loud Goat.

Well, on last night's episode, we had former Redskins defensive lineman Phillip Daniels on the show. Anyone who knows Daniels knows he's not someone afraid to speak his mind -- and last night was no exception. He was really candid while talking about the NFL's supplement hotline (he thought it was a joke), his time on Mike Shanahan's coaching staff (he basically didn't speak with Shanahan or Bruce Allen for most of the year he was there), an enlightening conversation he had with Charlie Casserly and a bunch of other really interesting stuff that gives fans a peek behind the curtain at Redskins Park.

For those interested, the Daniels interview starts right around the 41-minute mark.

Enlightening!

I always liked Phillip's candor. The part about the wives was something that is never really discussed or ask by reporters, when a player chooses to stay or leave an organization. I'm sure we'll never hear an alpha male admit that the reason he left Dallas was because his wife couldn't find a reasonable place to drive without the smell of cow dung in the air. Or she couldn't stand another wink from that Skeletor owner. 

I remember he got into it with BMitch. I like BMitch. But sometimes he jumps on a soapbox. Phillip is the realest beside Moss I've seen around Redskin's park.

Let's hope the Redskins are addressing this. I also hope it stays here on the forum and does not get broadcast to mainstream media (ESPN etc.) before the Redskins address it. I'd rather them do it in house without all the hoopla. Otherwise it seems disingenuous. I will say that Bruce Allen seems to be understanding and acting on what Daniels is talking about. There is more to be done.

But.....

I'm not sure if you want an open house to all past players. That may be chaos. For instance, like I said, I'm a retired Marine. On occasion, I'll stop by a Marine base and talk to young Marines about what they're doing. But there are a few old retired Devildogs telling "war stories" everytime they open their mouth. That can be a bit of a pain to deal with if a youngin' is trying to get their work in and at the same time try to show respect to a long winded story teller.   

So, I recently met Joe Theisman at a conference. He likes to talk. So does a few other older Skins I've met. Now imagine you're a current player. You walk into Redskins park to workout or get treatment. Lo and behold, there's two or three generations of Redskins oldies hangin' out at Redskin's park. They're lifting weights, sitting in the sauna smokin' cigars, coming out the shower looking like Bad Grand Pa - you get the picture (go see the movie too, its funny!). One of them walks up and says, "hey there son, let me tell ya 'bout when......"  

I agree with Daniels to a point. The family involvement is definitely key. But I'm not sure if that is not a cultural thing. I mean this area when I say cultural. This area has a transit mentality and doesn't lend itself to a family feel in my view.

What the heck? Our GM and head coach never spoke to our Director of Player Development?

I wonder if Gruden would have the same attitude towards positions like the Director of Player Development that Shanahan seems to have had (at least according to Daniels)? Allen's goal with his hires/re-hires seems to be that everyone works well together and that there's a good cohesive spirit among the coaching staff and front office--he had said something like the front office and coaching relationship "wasn't working". Then again, it could be an organizational philosophy, regardless of coach/GM. I don't care if the GM has regular talks with the DPD (or any, for that matter). I would care if the DPD requests meetings and nobody in charge bothers to meet with him, though.

Some bullet points from the interview:

http://burgundyblog.com/post/90182192601/bad-look

Daniels worked for the Redskins while Shanny coached and Bruce Allen was pseudo-GM. These are parts of his description of his experience:

When asked with which team he identifies himself most, Daniels said he would “have to consider myself a Redskin” because he played seven seasons for them and only four each for the Seahawks and Bears. He said it like he wanted to get around it, but couldn’t.

He described his administrative position as “not even part of the coaching staff.”

Daniels says that as Director of Player Development for the Redskins, you are “on your own” and “on an island.” He said “island” at least four times.

He was given no funds or budget for the position and therefore could not implement many or any of the activities he felt were indicated. He felt his hands were completely tied.

He never formally met with Shanny or Bruce Allen during his administrative year. Not a single time. He says colleagues in corresponding roles on different teams (e.g., the Seahawks) meet with administrators “three or four times a week” to discuss progress and new opportunities.

During his playing days with the Redskins, the only former Skin he ever saw around the Park was Joe Theismann, whereas former players dropped in frequently when he was with the Bears.

Daniels feels that Bruce Allen has improved the alumni relations in D.C., but that, in fact, he is now “doing more for the alumni” than for the current players.

Many alumni have been pissed off over the past two years about not getting invited to the Homecoming game.

Last year, after having left the staff, Daniels himself was not invited to the Homecoming game.

Both of his previous teams organized and sponsored many social events for players and families for the sake of player development, team unity, and morale boosting. The Redskins never did that while he was a player or on staff. He recalled his wife remarking several times that “they really don’t do anything for the players here,” and he agreed.

Daniels said that it is a common feeling among NFL veteran free agents that if the money is close from the home team, you stay. However with the Redskins, most players felt or still feel that if the money is close from a different team, you leave.

Sad all around and not a good sign.

To pick out something different here, I took interest in the part where he discussed the league phone number and how they were supposed to help you avoid banned products, then he calls and they basically tell him he is on his own.

Yes, he did say the number is now defunct, but isn't this service still a part of the NFL?

Sucks for players and now I wonder about guys that said they didn't know they took anything illegal. Yes, you are in charge of what goes in your body, however, the league should help in this matter. The league wants fierce competition on the field and huge hits. It is what sells. So, they should want to keep their players on the field. Helping them find safe supplements would help.

Daniels said that it is a common feeling among NFL veteran free agents that if the money is close from the home team, you stay. However with the Redskins, most players felt or still feel that if the money is close from a different team, you leave.

The money must not have been close over the past few years from different teams because we've had very few leave. Some have even taken pay cuts.

I'm hoping that things will be different now that Bruce Allen is allowed to talk and act as a traditional general manager. Plus, Grudes seems like a no bull **** type of coach.

Wasn't it supposed to be different when we hired Allen?

I'm genuinely flabbergasted for many reasons.

1. I thought Allen's whole thing was building up a Redskins community and honoring the past while looking to the future while the future is now and we fight our guts out and hey....is that Riggo?

2. Are we sure that Mike Shanahan never had a stroke? Seriously. Every person who dealt with him in Denver talked about his professionalism and attention to detail and human connection with everyone in the organization. It seems like he came here and shut his office door the whole time. I don't get what happened to him.

Either Dan Snyder simply has no interest in running an organization that focuses on and develops its talent, or he has hired people who have no interest in this stuff. 

As always, it starts at the top

This may be playing devils advocate...but Dan Snyder is relatively new to this pro ownership business. It takes awhile.

Case in point (if you care)...I recently started a contracting company here in the DC area supporting the DoD. There's documents such as DFAR that I need to understand and adhere to. There's endless proposal writing, tax issues, payroll concerns, healthcare issues, benefits....you get the picture?

As an owner, there are a number of things you need to be aware of, that you don't even think about early on. It takes a while to get it running like a "well oiled machine". Some issues you never get to unless someone brings it up with significant reasons why its important to your company. For instance, most companies aren't involved in community outreach programs until they are well established. It's not even brought up in meetings.

Bottom line: There has always been programs in place for players to develop lifelong skills and to give back to the community. Some players take advantage of the programs some don't. As a business owner, I'm not that interested in having family outings as I am in seeing someone grow up to be successful. Most NFL careers last about 6 years. Not alot of time to worry about family cookouts in my eyes. But maybe one or two big family events per year wouldn't be bad.

http://www.redskins.com/team/player-development.html

Do we really need a Director of Pro Development? To tell you the truth I always thought these types of jobs were given to ex-players as a reward for years of dedicated service.

It makes sense that Shanahan wouldn't care about Daniel's position or his input because Shanahan only cared about his way. He liked to put players in his famous doghouse and he ruled through intimidation. No sense in having a player advocate in his ear every week when he liked to keep players in the dark. That's counter productive in Shannyland.

And I doubt Bruce had any input with Shanny other than the salary cap. Wasn't that in Shanny's contract? Total control? I think Gruden will be different as he is a players coach and actually listens to input from his coaches. He seems like a real down to Earth guy.

For what it's worth, I can't say I was impressed with Redskins Park when I was there for an event. The finish/decor of the film room, cafeteria, and the weight room are below what you see in many colleges. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some (Texas) high school football programs treat their players better.  :)

As a business owner, I'm not that interested in having family outings as I am in seeing someone grow up to be successful. Most NFL careers last about 6 years. Not alot of time to worry about family cookouts in my eyes. But maybe one or two big family events per year wouldn't be bad.

http://www.redskins.com/team/player-development.html

You might want to reconsider that. Your employees have a choice in where they work. Small things like company picnics, helping with work/life balance, and a corporation's approach to community service make a difference to family-oriented employees. Making the numbers, paying people well and providing career growth are critical, but it's not the only thing to retain employees.

You might want to reconsider that. Your employees have a choice in where they work. Small things like company picnics, helping with work/life balance, and a corporation's approach to community service make can make a difference to family-oriented employees. Making the numbers, paying people well and providing career growth are critical, but it's not the only thing to retain employees.

While that's true, I kinda think Daniels is extrapolating his own experiences as a player onto the current players to a certain degree...at least when it comes to the players having the mentality of "If the money is close, bolt to another team".

This may be playing devils advocate...but Dan Snyder is relatively new to this pro ownership business. It takes awhile

It's been 15 years. I'm pretty sure I could learn how to play the piano or get my medical license in half of that. Better yet, I could just hire someone who already knows how to do those things.

Either Dan Snyder simply has no interest in running an organization that focuses on and develops its talent, or he has hired people who have no interest in this stuff. 

As always, it starts at the top 

Or maybe this is what happens when you give all the control to one guy and he has his way with it? I suspect Bruce is not this kind of leader and that this is a result of a Shanahan environment. 

Archived