Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: Canada: Schools axe 'he' and 'she' in favour of 'xe'

China

Canada: Schools axe 'he' and 'she' in favour of 'xe'

The school board in the Canadian city has approved a new policy which allows pupils to be referred to as "xe, xem and xyr" instead of "he or she", "him or her", and "his or hers". "We're standing up for kids and making our schools safer and more inclusive," board member Mike Lombardi told the Vancouver Sun. Another change will allow children to choose to use any toilet facilities they prefer, including a mandatory unisex option.

Opponents of the policy shouted "dictator" and "liar" at school trustees when it was passed after only a brief debate at a rowdy public meeting which had to be guarded by police. Parents who question the changes argue that six-year-olds aren't qualified to understand identity issues and that as some of them can't even use the toilet yet, much less decide which washroom to do it in, National Post commentator Kelly McParland said.

Click on the link for the full article

--------------------------------

If your six year old can't use the toilet yet I think you've got other problems.

It is discriminatory to gender non conforming kids. I wish I was joking.

So, would they rather be called an "it?"  normally I'd laugh, but i'm not being funny.  you're not a he or a she, so wtf are you?  get the **** outta here with a "xe"

I'm 100% supportive of these kinds of rights for transgender people adults and supporting children who have yet to realize their identity, but dude you gotta pick a side.   Is it Jerry or Geri?

Wait, is this the Onion?

We now know that people can have a mismatch between their gender identity and heir genital configuration.

People say and believe all kinds of things that are not reality. Most of the time is it purely based on unfulfilled desire.

People say and believe all kinds of things that are not reality. Most of the time is it purely based on unfulfilled desire.

Does the "unfilled desires" theory apply to 5 year old children as well?  Honest question, not being a jerk LOL

So let me get this strait....a kid decides there they are neither a boy or a girl? Seriously?

Actually, yes.

ES tailgate is probably the last place we should really start a robust discussion on trans* issues. But yes, this is actually a big issue and over the next decade or so you are going to see a lot of public policy changes regarding trans* issues. It is an issue that particularly taboo and confusing for many - especially when in regards to children. Again, not sure this is the place where we are going to have a productive discussion on it though.

* Not saying I support the changes mentioned in the article - I don't know enough about the situation, just commenting on the issue of kids and gender identification. 

Does the "unfilled desires" theory apply to 5 year old children as well?  Honest question, not being a jerk LOL

Yes,  ya shoulda heard mine at the toy store, or dairy queen  :lol:

Yeah people can end up believing all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons.

Let's get back to the topic.

Actually, yes.

ES tailgate is probably the last place we should really start a robust discussion on trans* issues. But yes, this is actually a big issue and over the next decade or so you are going to see a lot of public policy changes regarding trans* issues. It is an issue that particularly taboo and confusing for many - especially when in regards to children. Again, not sure this is the place where we are going to have a productive discussion on it though.

* Not saying I support the changes mentioned in the article - I don't know enough about the situation, just commenting on the issue of kids and gender identification.

Is there actually enough of these people to be changing he and she to xe? Seems a little ridiculous.

There certainly needs to be a honest discussion about trans issues because this IMO is ridiculous. I will never support abolishing gender from society because a tiny segment prefer to choose neither. I will also not accept that a person with a male body dressed as a woman is a woman, or vice versa, because there is obviously a difference. Clarity in communication isn't discriminatory or wrong. What I will support, and already do, is not discriminating against any of these people. Being different is perfectly ok, embracing difference is great. Trying to obscure our differences and make people pretend that we're all the same is not tolerance. It's wrong minded and lazy.

No, their parents do and then use their kids to push their agenda upon everyone else.

In some cases yes, in some cases no. But why pretend the issue is actually complicated when we can make blanket statements...

There certainly needs to be a honest discussion about trans issues because this IMO is ridiculous. I will never support abolishing gender from society because a tiny segment prefer to choose neither. I will also not accept that a person with a male body dressed as a woman is a woman, or vice versa, because there is obviously a difference. Clarity in communication isn't discriminatory or wrong. What I will support, and already do, is not discriminating against any of these people. Being different is perfectly ok, embracing difference is great. Trying to obscure our differences and make people pretend that we're all the same is not tolerance. It's wrong minded and lazy.

I can tell you that a year ago I didn't really know or understand transgender issues. It is nothing I had ever thought about. 

My wife is a therapist. She sent me some links a few months ago about how this issue is comming up in her work - I was sort of floored by some of the stuff.

A recent study showed that 41% of people who are transgender have attempted suicide sometime in their lives

Let that number sink it. 41% have tried to kill themselves. Many of those are young people. 

It is still an issue that personally I don't understand. I don't know what the answers are and I don't pretend to undertsand what exactly the trans community wants. 

But it is an issue that I think will be discussed more in the future and deserves more than folks laughing it off, which is what tends to happen.

This should be fun -- thread is about to become Exhibit A in the argument against "the ES Tailgate is a liberal board." 

Nah, most of the liberals probably live on the Left Coast and are probably at lunch right now. ;)

I can tell you that a year ago I didn't really know or understand transgender issues. It is nothing I had ever thought about. 

My wife is a therapist. She sent me some links a few months ago about how this issue is comming up in her work - I was sort of floored by some of the stuff.

41% of people who are transgender have attempted suicide sometime in their lives

Let that number sink it. 41% have tried to kill themselves. Many of those are young people. 

It is still an issue that personally I don't understand. I don't know what the answers are obviously and I am not involved in the movement.

But it is an issue that I think will be disucssed more in the future.

Perhaps the same root issue that is causing the gender wires to cross is also behind the suicidal tendencies?

Nah, most of the liberals probably live on the Left Coast and are probably at lunch right now. ;)

Perhaps the same root issue that is causing the gender wires to cross is also behind the suicidal tendencies?

Most mental health experts say that society isolation, extreme povery, harrasment, and physical/mental abuse that many transgender people experience in life lead to the higher suicide rates. 

Again, I am not the best spokesperson on this. I know the very little - but there is a ton of interesting research that is currently being done out there. I suggest searching around if you want more detailed stuff.

This is the UCLA study that I have seen in the past with some interesting information.

http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/AFSP-Williams-Suicide-Report-Final.pdf

Wait, is this the Onion?

Spend 5 minutes on Tumblr and see what happens if you misgender someone. Most of the blogs include the author's individual preferred pronouns, which I guess is somewhat revealing. If some of these people ever went outside I presume they'd need nametags because I have no idea how you're supposed to instinctively choose between "xe" and whatever other preferred pronouns there are.

I have no idea if I'm using the correct terminology here because most of this is connected to the Oppression Olympics scene and you're almost always damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

That being said -- I don't want to build you a straw man here but your post implies that transgenderism (ugh, probably not the right term) is illegitimate. I think there's a big gap between acceptance of transgender issues and the idea that we should overhaul pronouns or something. 

I see two benefits here.  For the person themselves...long bathroom line?  Go use the other one.

For the rest of us, it just got a lot easier to get rid of the X in scrabble.

Brilliant.

Also, you have the best signature on ES.

Wait, what? Maybe I'm not understanding but how is she or he discriminatory.

People have decided to take offense from those words and hence forth they will be banned.  A perfect example of how anyword can be attacked as offensive

Archived