Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bug bites, help

Spaceman Spiff

Was out taking some photos early Saturday morning and got eaten alive.  

I've got bumps all over my arms and during lunch today I'm going to head up to the store to get something to soothe the itch/burn.  Do you guys have any suggestions?  I was going to go with aloe but if there's anything better, I'd love to hear it.  

If you're a masochist you could hold it under hot running water.  It makes the histamines around the bites go crazy and it will itch like you wouldn't believe, but the cells in that area of your body will quickly run out of histamines and the itch will be gone for a few hours.

Hot water is AWESOME for any kind of itch not shower hot, has to be much hotter.

It feels orgasmically good. When I had an awful case of poison oak I would hold my hands in a sink of piping hot water. Tears would stream out of my eyes it felt so good. And the itch would disappear for hours

Works mosquito bites also. Best to dip a paper towel in hot water and apply directly to bite. Hold it there. Itch will magically disappear

It truly is the greatest home remedy ever

Hydrocortison is really great for poison ivy or poison oak...  Least I've used it for such..

Mosquito bite, I would use aloe vera, Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory properties, stash your aloe vera gel in the fridge, the cold will also help with the itchiness.

For spider, bee, wasp, and ant bites, take a 9-volt battery, and wet the [bitten] area a little bit. Put battery to the bitten area, and it will stop the action of poison and stop the hurt.

Another one for venom injecting insects,  bee's wasps, spiders,  put water into meat tenderizer and plaster that on the bite..   The meat tenderizer can break down the protein in the venom and that's supposed to stop the itch and sting.

Down in Arkansas we have an insect called a Chigger,  which have a unique bite...  They are kind of like mosquito bites but chiggers don't fly, so they always get you on your legs... usually lower legs... like 12 mosquito bites in one tight area...   For these our family solution is to put nail polish on them...  something about the chigger burrowing in or laying eggs and sophisticating them by cutting off the oxygen or something.

Also general practice is  Aspirin which has an anti inflammatory in it which helps to relieve the itch.

And there is always the Greek cure...   windex..  cures everything.. saw it in a movie once... never had the guts to try it though.

Get a spoon and run it under very hot water for a minute and heat it up

Press it on the bug bit that itches. it'll sting for a second, but the heat destroys the protein that causes the itch. (as I've been told)

It'll stop.

~Bang

Just smoke some weed bro. Natural medicine, man.

You may be joking but in high school while camping I had severe allergic reaction to the point I had hives and raised welts on my body. I friend coerced me to smoke some weed and I was fine within 30 min. No joke.

Story time.  Not sure why I'm telling this.  

One summer during a previous decade which I won't specify, I spent my weekends visiting a girlfriend who was working in Norfolk for a few months. During one visit there was some kind of nasty heat wave going on with temperatures just above 100 / heat index of about 110.  I have been out and about in hotter temperatures for a few hours at a time, but this was seemingly 24 hours per day of suffering.  Just inescapable, withering, anvil-on-your-soul heat.  I believe the Norfolk locals refer to it as "July."      

Anyway, the nights were incredibly warm and conducive to.. uhh ... being outside.  As the sun set and the risk of bursting into flames ebbed, we strolled out onto the beach, waited for the night breeze to pick up a bit, and once it was completely dark, climbed into the dunes for some romantic moonlit naked time.

Less than 5 minutes into the fun:

"...Babe, do you feel some mosquitoes on you?"

It was already way, way too late.  We were serving a blood meal to every g**d***** mosquito within seemingly 3 miles.  Back in the calm air of the dunes it is just a mosquito terrorist training ground all summer long, and we had stumbled into the center of their proboscis-jihadist camp in the pitch darkness.  Suddenly aware of the horrifying ramifications, we ran.  Good god, we ran.  We fled like terrified little children.  

Under the dome light of the car (doors closed, windows up, clothes... somewhere) we assessed the damage.  Total carnage.  I had mosquito bites on parts of my body that have no names.  To give a feel for it, I had over a dozen bites just in the little webs between the fingers of one hand.  Now imagine that as total-body coverage.  Everything that was exposed was covered in welts.  And the itchiness was a constant and growing torture.  

We put on bathing suits we found in the backseat (hooray for messy cars), bombed over to a convenience store, and picked up 4 tubes of After Bite.  Walking in there, I would have paid a thousand bucks per tube.  My kingdom for a time machine to save my twig and berries!  Then we sat in the car and just slathered ourselves with the stuff.  It was miraculous.  Less than 30 minutes later we were back in my girlfriend's hot box apartment, and my hundreds of bites were itch-free and nearly invisible.  I did find a few more just by realizing that I still had an itch here and there.  By morning there was no trace of bug bites on me at all.

So I ought to have After Bite sitting at the ready for the family these days, as a pleasant and reasonable end point to this story.  But I don't.  In fact I never bought it again.  And the only real reason for that -- as you might guess from someone who climbed into some of the hemisphere's most densely packed mosquito breeding grounds in an attempt to get lucky -- is that I am a huge idiot.

Hot water is AWESOME for any kind of itch not shower hot, has to be much hotter.

It feels orgasmically good. When I had an awful case of poison oak I would hold my hands in a sink of piping hot water. Tears would stream out of my eyes it felt so good. And the itch would disappear for hours

Works mosquito bites also. Best to dip a paper towel in hot water and apply directly to bite. Hold it there. Itch will magically disappear

It truly is the greatest home remedy ever

^^This. I had poison ivy a few years ago and discovered that hot water really helped. For whatever reason I was compelled to keep making it hotter and hotter until it was pretty much just hot water only. Judt as zoony described, it was as good as sex. And I'm not really exaggerating to say that. Other than when I finally broke down and spent the money for Zanfel, it was the only thing that actually worked.

Hot knife/spoon works for me. I run it under water until it's warm, then put the bug bite under running water & hold the spoon there. Helps if you have scratched them to the point where you get a bump, you'd be surprised how hard it is to locate the source of the itch without the bump.

It's the most effective way I have dealt with really itchy bug bites. For the ankles, do it in the tub, unless you like pulling groin muscles.

deodorant stops the itch/burn pretty well w/o a mess

I usually hit them with ammonia or witch hazel ....cause I love the funk

Ban roll-on.  Works well for poisonous plants and a lot of bites, you won't itch a bit.  Just roll it right on that bad larry and you're good to go.

To heal it up I'd get hydrocortizone or calamine. 

Archived