Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help Wanted: Return Guys. CSN, Roberts wants to fill both

SWFLSkins

Roberts wants to fill both of Redskins' return jobs

The Redskins have a “help wanted” sign hanging on both their kick and punt returner jobs and Andre Roberts is applying to take both of them.

The wide receiver, who was signed as a free agent in March, is pretty sure that he will be doing one or the other. Special teams coach Ben Kotwica has kept him busy during the special teams portion of OTAs.

“He has me doing punts and kicks right now,” said Roberts after Wednesday’s OTA session. “I would like to be the kick returner and the punt returner but, you know, everybody doesn’t get what they want. Preferably, probably kick returner.”

He has NFL experience with both.

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/roberts-wants-fill-both-redskins-return-jobs

This is absolutely great, guy got criticized for wanting to play when Jackson was signed didn't pout, but volunteered to start at both return jobs. My bet is he gets one of them. I think we actually have some legit threats now at return if the coverage units are stout enough. 

Agreed - it would be easy for him to sulk and pout after feeling like he was going to be the #2 receiver in our offense, only to have DJax brought in a month later.  His attitude says that he's willing to do whatever to help the team.  That intangible attribute is very much what we need on this team - it's absolutely contagious! 

I really like how Gruden is shaping up our roster right now - lots of hungry guys looking to be great.

I don't remember that.

I remember it being mentioned by the media as a possibility (maybe Jackson said he was willing to) but I never heard the staff say anything about it.

My mistake, it was probably just an assumption on my part. You have a horrible special teams, spend a mint on a receiver whose most memorable play is a punt return TD and you don't give him a shot back there? 

But yeah, I'm sure at this point there's nothing official.

What SWFLSkins said. Word is pretty much that DJax will be resigned to "big moments" when it comes to calling his name for return duties.

I'm okay with this as I wouldn't want to risk him too much or ware him down too much unnecessarily. Roberts is plenty capable, & we still need to see how Crawford has returned from injury, & then we drafted a few who are capable as well.

I feel much better about our return man options than last year...now we wait n' see how the units as a whole are going to perform.

With the talent we have aquired it appears that our KO and punt return yardage will be better than last year. My concern is whether the ST improves on KO and punt coverage.

Hopefully some of those depth guys are going to improve that. It seems some of the FA acquired and even some of the draft picks were gotten just for this job. 

Awesome... And I agree with everyone. In today's day and age where athletes whine over anything, this guy has legitimate beef. And NFL careers aren't long, he signed a good deal, but honestly, DJax deal likely wont allow him to produce numbers going forward.

I hope he remains team oriented. I'll def be pulling for him during his time here just for reason he kind of got his FA experience tainted of sorts. You wonder if DJax was signed prior, would he still be interested in Skins

Hard not to love this guy's attitude. He not only understands and accepts his role in the offense but is looking for any other way to contribute to this team. As for how effective he will be as the main return guy, his past numbers suggest he will be merely competent. However, even that is an upgrade over what we witnessed last year.

Hopefully some of those depth guys are going to improve that. It seems some of the FA acquired and even some of the draft picks were gotten just for this job. 

I am hoping you're correct. 3 punt return TDs and one KO return TD last year had me closing my eyes each time the ST took the field. 

My mistake, it was probably just an assumption on my part. You have a horrible special teams, spend a mint on a receiver whose most memorable play is a punt return TD and you don't give him a shot back there? 

But yeah, I'm sure at this point there's nothing official.

Jackson is also not the most durable guy. I would hate to see him as the full time punt returner - not worth the risk for the one time a year he may break one.  Put him back there as others have said in the Darrel Green role - like when we absolutely need one, but otherwise give it to someone else.

Back in Green's day, punt returners got hit. Nowadays, players are do used to fearing getting a personal foul flag, they tend to give more room. Players aren't hit as often on punt returns like they used to. Sure, they still get hit like Niles did to the Rams returner, but that's rare. I'd love for Jackson to be the primary punt return guy.

• 2 months later...

Man, it was kind of refreshing to see him turn up field and grab some yards ... besides the nice punt return, didn't have a nice return on a kick off?? he also was an inch away from a nice big gain on offense  ... 

Agreed.  I think he had something like a 30 yard k/o return average and almost 20 on punts.  Something we haven't had in several years, if I'm not mistaken. Quite refreshing to see imo.

Lol! Did he lose out on a big gain!?! Couldnt tell?

Pretty sure he did.  I don't have the video in front of me, but I do remember seeing a good bit of green in front of him when DY took him out.

Edit:  Found a video. Sure looks like he had an easy 10-15 yards in front of him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2190304-redskins-players-help-texans-out-by-running-into-each-other#articles/2190304-redskins-players-help-texans-out-by-running-into-each-other

Archived