Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Kyle Shanahan: Manziel like RG III

DCranon21

I have a sneaky suspicion that the reason Kyle was hired in Cleveland is that they had a pretty good bet that they were going to draft Johnny, and they wanted somebody who had worked with somebody similar.

I don't think that Johnny is the athlete that Robert is. But he's got enough arm strength to make all of the NFL throws, and enough speed to hurt people on the ground. He's also got that instinct for making people miss that is just sortof an inherited trait.

I think you're going to see a lot of similar concepts in Cleveland that we saw in Washington with Kyle. But I think that Kyle probably learned some things about the scheme that he's going to tweak.

As far as the debate between speed, quickness, elusiveness, etc. I'll say this: I think Robert has enough wiggle to basically make the first guy miss any time IF he feels the pressure. The thing that sets Romo apart is his instinct of just feeling where the pressure is coming from without seeing it. If Robert felt it better, he's got the tools to get out of the way as well as if not better than anybody.

The magic happens for Robert when he is able to take 2-3 steps and get up to full speed and just our-run folks, like he did on that run against the Vikings.

In the Giants game, on that 4th down throw to Pauslen, he showned what he can do when he feels the pressure, and is able to use his athletic ability.

I think that sometimes he just feels things late. That could just be inexperience.

Manziel isn't more elusive than Griffin. RG3 took many hits because alot of times he had more guts than common sense and tried to take runners straight on when he could have easily avoided them. Biggest thing Jay Gruden has to get through to RG3 is to not try and win games by himself which he essentially had to do at Baylor and his first 2 years in Washington. The talent level on the Skins isn't all the way there yet but it's vastly improved from 2012 and 2013.

I agree that Johnny is a more natural runner then Griffin. But as far as the rest...quicker, more elusive, stronger? I gotta disagree.

They are 2 different types of runners both are effective. But whatever Griffin lacks as runner he more then makes up for with world class speed.

I agree though Griff isn't the most aware runner though.

But Johnny has taken some monster hits in his own right.

Old Johnny is gonna find out the hard way just like RG3 is finding out that you can't run around like a lunatic in the NFL the way you could in college. He's gonna end up taking some monsterous shots from guys who are all way bigger, stronger and faster than previous college level opponents.

In that regard I think that KS isn't the best thing for JM, but if he can run smartly and stay healthy than it would be a non issue. I guess we will see what happens.

Back to the original statement in the OP, the answer is in the article:

"They're both talented guys who can make plays with their legs." - Kyle Shanahan

That's all he needs to say, to make the comparison. He also said that they're both intellegent QBs, which I believe is true.

He didn't say that Manziel IS RG3, he just said he reminds him of RG3.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the reason Kyle was hired in Cleveland is that they had a pretty good bet that they were going to draft Johnny, and they wanted somebody who had worked with somebody similar.

That's very plausible. The Browns had enough picks that if they wanted any QB they could get them.

Kyle makes sense because of the offense he built here. And actually Manziel was there for his redshirt season under Mike Sherman who uses the same root offense and verbiage as Kyle. So Johnny actually has a step up on Hoyer.

I don't think that Johnny is the athlete that Robert is. But he's got enough arm strength to make all of the NFL throws, and enough speed to hurt people on the ground. He's also got that instinct for making people miss that is just sortof an inherited trait.

I think you're going to see a lot of similar concepts in Cleveland that we saw in Washington with Kyle. But I think that Kyle probably learned some things about the scheme that he's going to tweak.

I think Johnny and Robert are similar in moxie, playing style i.e. (playmakers/runners), leadership, work ethic, love of football. But physically Robert is superior in every way. That's why Rob was the No.2 overall or 'co-#1' and Johnny was No.22. Manziel reminds me of a Jeff Garcia and I don't mean that as a knock in any way.

I'm actually excited to see what Kyle does there. I expect to see an offense that was similar to the one we saw the past 2 seasons. Which ironically is similar to the WCO A&M ran w/ Sherman. They have a good OL (better then ours imo) and their biggest area of weakness is the one area Kyle has proven he can get more production then the talent. (Remember when Kyle milked 1,000 yards from Gaffney?). Some WR is gonna be the beneficary of Kyle's ability to get WRs open. And I admit I have some hometown love for the Browns because of T.West (good kid that I'm really rooting for). Kyle has some growing up to do both as a playcaller and with QB room relationships, but if they can get along the marriage of Kyle's offense to Johnny skillset is a good it.

As far as the debate between speed, quickness, elusiveness, etc. I'll say this: I think Robert has enough wiggle to basically make the first guy miss any time IF he feels the pressure. The thing that sets Romo apart is his instinct of just feeling where the pressure is coming from without seeing it. If Robert felt it better, he's got the tools to get out of the way as well as if not better than anybody.

I remember watching Griffin juke people out of there jocks back at Baylor. Physically its all there + world class speed.

Rob needs to develop better awareness, I've been saying that since day 1. Back when people didn't yet understand why I would say that Cam and Wilson are more aware runners then him.

They are a lot alike.

Heisman winners

Mobile QBs

Their best seasons are still to come

Will live in Wilson's shadow until they hoist a Lombardi

Will both get crushed until they realize that they must slide and shy away from contact because they are little guys on a battlefield

Both spending (spent) their rookie years under Kyle S. (sigh)

Will light up the NFL for years to come

I with the Browns luck, they have been one of the worst teams (like us) in their conference for a long time.  I'm happy they got Manziel, now maybe that defense can play with a lead .... that would be nasty and fun to watch.  Unless, of course, they are playing us and then I hope he gets the flu.

Hail

Archived