Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DCranon21

ESPN: Kyle Shanahan: Manziel like RG III

Whoa there now spark plug. He must have forgot RGIII has a better arm than Johnny, faster than Johnny, and actually a better passer than Johnny. I like Johnny, but this is putting the cart before the horse. 

Kyle Shanahan likes what he sees so far from Johnny Manziel, saying that the Cleveland Browns rookie reminds him of Robert Griffin III.

Shanahan, who was hired this offseason as the Browns' offensive coordinator, said in arecent interview with USA Today Sports that Manziel's skill set is "very similar" to Griffin's.

"Johnny and Robert are very similar," Shanahan, who spent the last four years as the Washington Redskins' offensive coordinator, told USA Today Sports. "They're both talented guys who can make plays with their legs.

"But there comes a time in the NFL when they're going to keep you in the pocket, and you're going to have to have that ability to make the throws with your arm and mind. And Johnny, just like Robert, has that arm talent and intelligence to do that."

Griffin thrived during his 2012 rookie season under Shanahan, passing for 3,200 yards and rushing for 815 while leading the Redskins to the NFC East title. The 2011 Heisman Trophy winner struggled last season while recovering from major knee surgery.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11011562/johnyy-manziel-very-similar-robert-griffin-iii-cleveland-browns-offensive-coordinator-kyle-shanahan-says

What do you expect him to say? That he likes his old QB better than his current one? He's talking up his QB. I would expect nothing less.

What do you expect him to say? That he likes his old QB better than his current one? He's talking up his QB. I would expect nothing less.

Exactly. Nothing more than coach speak.

Whoa there now spark plug. He must have forgot RGIII has a better arm than Johnny, faster than Johnny, and actually a better passer than Johnny. I like Johnny, but this is putting the cart before the horse. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11011562/johnyy-manziel-very-similar-robert-griffin-iii-cleveland-browns-offensive-coordinator-kyle-shanahan-says

Johnny is quicker, more elusive, runs stronger and imo has more awareness. I can't remember him taking the hits I've seen our guy take.

Johnny is quicker, more elusive, runs stronger and imo has more awareness. I can't remember him taking the hits I've seen our guy take.

j0303364.gif

Then become a Browns fan. Sick of seeing this in here. It's getting old.

Appears like Kyle is leaning toward Johnny Football over Hoyer.  Perhaps, Hoyer is not 100% after his season ending ACL tear.

Appears that like Kyle is leaning toward Johnny Football over Hoyer.  Perhaps, Hoyer is not 100% after his season ending ACL tear.

I was actually kind of high on Hoyer, he seemed to have that offense clicking.  I was hoping Manziel went somewhere else so I can see Kyle S run his offense with non-mobile QB like Shwaub again.

Anyway I see nothing wrong with what Kyle said.  What is he suppose to say "Yeah Manziel is good, but he's no RG3"

I was actually kind of high on Hoyer, he seemed to have that offense clicking.  I was hoping Manziel went somewhere else so I can see Kyle S run his offense with non-mobile QB like Shwaub again.

Anyway I see nothing wrong with what Kyle said.  What is he suppose to say "Yeah Manziel is good, but he's no RG3"

Agree with you on Hoyer; I'd like to see him play. However, it's not clear if he is fully recovered - we went down that trail last year. Perhaps, Kyle knows something that we dont.

I was unaware manziel has played a down in pro football to warrant this comment....

I was unaware manziel has played a down in pro football to warrant this comment....

That was kind of what I thought.  Sure the guy looks fast when he's playing in college, so did Eric Crouch, but Crouch couldn't pass the ball and ended up being a receiver in the NFL (or at least tried to be a receiver).

We'll see what happens.  Manziel might surprise people, with no receivers and no RB to speak of (at this point).  Sure, it's possible he could have an incredible year, but the Browns sure didn't put him in position to win.  People thought we didn't give Griffin enough, well their cupboard is bare when it comes to skill positions on offense, since Gordon's out for the year.

I agree that Johnny is a more natural runner then Griffin. But as far as the rest...quicker, more elusive, stronger? I gotta disagree.

They are 2 different types of runners both are effective. But whatever Griffin lacks as runner he more then makes up for with world class speed.

I agree though Griff isn't the most aware runner though.

But Johnny has taken some monster hits in his own right.

I agree that Johnny is a more natural runner then Griffin. But as far as the rest...quicker, more elusive, stronger? I gotta disagree.

They are 2 different types of runners both are effective. But whatever Griffin lacks as runner he more then makes up for with world class speed.

I agree though Griff isn't the most aware runner though.

But Johnny has taken some monster hits in his own right.

Johnny IS quicker and more elusive than RGIII though. RGIII is more of a straight-line runner that beats people w/ his speed, while Johnny Football is very shifty and adept at making people miss.

Johnny IS quicker and more elusive than RGIII though. RGIII is more of a straight-line runner that beats people w/ his speed, while Johnny Football is very shifty and adept at making people miss.

Lol, well since you used caps you must be right...

Because of Griffin's (let me try this caps thing out) WORLD CLASS SPEED RGIII!!! He has an option that Manziel and most other runners don't have: he can usually out run his defenders.

So yeah, his WCS makes Griff more a straight line runner, but make no mistake he can beat defenders with quickness and shiftiness too.

How quickly have we forgotten Griffin at Baylor:

Quick and elusive?

The jump cut move at the 20s mark alone proves my point.

Lol, well since you used caps you must be right...

Because of Griffin's (let me try this caps thing out) WORLD CLASS SPEED RGIII!!! He has an option that Manziel and most other runners don't have: he can usually out run his defenders.

So yeah, his WCS makes Griff more a straight line runner, but make no mistake he can beat defenders with quickness and shiftiness too.

How quickly have we forgotten Griffin at Baylor:

Quick and elusive?

The jump cut move at the 20s mark alone proves my point.

So let's put it this way... Russell Wilson and Kaepernick are better runners.  They aren't the fastest guys, but they know how to use their moves and their quickness to their advantage to get leverage to where they want to run.

Griffin is fast.  As you say, he's world class fast.  He's used to being the fastest guy on the field, so he's never had to learn what guys like Wilson, Kaeernick and Manziel have had to learn.

And they do take less hits because of it. 

If you want to prove me wrong, show me some vicious hits on Russell Wilson during a run.  I haven't found many if any.  I've got a reel of number 10's greatest hits.

Nothing against Rob, he has the ability to correct it, we just haven't seen it yet.

And you know better than most that there is a difference between speed and quickness, DG.  Come on brother.

So let's put it this way...

You mean change the argument.

Not only change the argument; but change it to an argument that I'm not even making.

You mean change the argument.

Not only change the argument; but change it to an argument that I'm not even making.

I think that's the argument everyone else is making... unless I've totally misread everything.  I did put on a birthday party for a four year old yesterday, but I think I'm close. :lol:

Is Tony Romo more elusive than RGIII?  I say yes, he is.

And yes, I saw the Giants game in 2012.  That was fantastic.  Romo just does it more consistantly.

Griffin has the tools, he just has to learn to use them.

Hence why you're showing Baylor highlights and not NFL highlights to prove your point.

I would agree that Romo is more elusive then RGIII. Romo is one of, if not thee, most elusive QB in the league.

But, Johnny Manziel isn't Romo.

And the argument isn't just about being more/less elusive its about who is also quicker, stronger, whether Manziel takes big hits, shiftiness and adept at making people miss.

I figured since you 'liked' DMV post you were following his argument.

I would agree that Romo is more elusive then RGIII. Romo is one of, if not thee, most elusive QB in the league.

But, Johnny Manziel isn't Romo.

And the argument isn't just about being more/less elusive its about who is also quicker, stronger, whether Manziel takes big hits, shiftiness and adept at making people miss.

I figured since you 'liked' DMV post you were following his argument.

I actually think he is more comparable to Tony Romo than anyone else in the league right now.  Definitely more of a willingness to run, but an unconventional guy who gives defenses fits and is hard to deal with no matter what you do.  Not many QBs (if any) do Saban like Manziel did on the college level.

If he meant stronger runner as in Manziel's running is a stronger part of his game than it is for Griffin, then I'd agree for now.  That may all go out the window if Kyle tries to get him in the pistol running read option the same way he did here... with just the dive and no jet sweep or anything.  But would I rather Griffin sacrifice a tenth of a second or two for Wilson's awareness in the run game?  Absolutely.

If he meant that Manziel runs stronger, as in with more power or is a stronger QB than Griffin... then I am with you.  Griffin does run and carry his body like a sprinter, though, but he's stronger than a bull.

But I liked DMV's post because it's absolutely true.

If he meant stronger runner as in Manziel's running is a stronger part of his game than it is for Griffin, then I'd agree for now....

But I liked DMV's post because it's absolutely true.

I don't even know what this means. But if you are saying that Manziel is an overall better runner then Griffin then I would question your recall. Griffin ran for 815 yards 7 TDs at 6.8 ypc.

I like Manziel. Always have. But lets not take Griffin's abilities for granted. Griffin presented an run threat that was unlike any QBs in NFL history other then Mike Vick and Randall Cunningham. Saying Johnny is a better runner then Griffin is saying a lot. If Manziel is a better runner then should expect big time rushing numbers right? Tell me what benchmarks you think Manziel will have to hit to justify his lofty running ability?