Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki resigns

ABQCOWBOY

By Tom Cohen, Chelsea J. Carter and Ben Brumfield, CNN
updated 1:03 PM EDT, Fri May 30, 2014

Washington (CNN) -- In the end, even Eric Shinseki knew he had to go, President Barack Obama said Friday in announcing the resignation of his only Veterans Affairs secretary over a growing scandal involving sometimes deadly waits for care at VA hospitals.

Obama went before reporters shortly after meeting with Shinseki at the White House and said the retired Army general told him that "the VA needs new leadership" to address the widespread problems chronicled in new reports this week, adding that Shinseki "does not want to be a distraction" to fixing the situation.

Click here to read the entire article:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/30/politics/va-hospitals-shinseki/

Yea, sorry, but not enough. Wholesale changes are needed. Frankly, you need those changes throughout the government. But his resignation is pointless, as someone similar will simply take his place.

More like, let's remove the guy who probably had nothing to do with the problem and pretend like we actually did something.

Meanwhile, the people who probably are responsible will probably keep their jobs.  (Including the congress people who aren't funding the VA properly.)

More like, let's remove the guy who probably had nothing to do with the problem and pretend like we actually did something.

Meanwhile, the people who probably are responsible will probably keep their jobs.  (Including the congress people who aren't funding the VA properly.)

The problem is not funding.  

I think Obama should nominate John McCain for that spot. Nothing gets done on the Hill. I know McCain stabbed a lot of military folks in the back when he didn't support an expanded GI Bill, and lost a lot of respect in that community. But if he's truly angry enough about this stuff and no doubt he knows the GOP isn't going to support his causes anymore. He could do some real good there. Then he can clearly point out the funding issues that most folks agree are there.

I think Obama should nominate John McCain for that spot. Nothing gets done on the Hill. I know McCain stabbed a lot of military folks in the back when he didn't support an expanded GI Bill, and lost a lot of respect in that community. But if he's truly angry enough about this stuff and no doubt he knows the GOP isn't going to support his causes anymore. He could do some real good there. Then he can clearly point out the funding issues that most folks agree are there.

Who are the folks that agree there are funding issues?

After further research, that may be so.  Still, getting rid of a presidential appointee probably isn't going to get rid of the government employees who are actually responsible.

I don't disagree with your base point.   I mean, this will not solve the problem alone.   I don't think any reasonable person would disagree with that.

I just think that it's extremely important, on this problem especially, to understand the problems thoroughly because I think if that doesn't happen then all we probably end up doing is kicking the can.   I think that this is what the Government would love to do.  That allows the problem to disappear from the headlines and allows this organization to have more money to do the same.

If it turns out that we need more money to do a good job, and that could happen, then I'm OK with that.   I'm simply not OK with allowing the problem to grow and not really get fixed.   Nothing against you.  It's so common for the VA to be underfunded historically, but I'm not sure that's the primary issue now.

After further research, that may be so.  Still, getting rid of a presidential appointee probably isn't going to get rid of the government employees who are actually responsible.

There's plenty of money to go around. It's how that money gets spent that is the problem.

Funds have gone up enormously in recent years. What they need to do is probably contract out the records portion to an IT firm.

The issue is getting the funding that has been approved to the right places where it will do the most. Funding has gone up because the massive number of Vets that are coming back from recent wars. That makes sense. But watching any of the Sunday morning shows or even googling Vet Affairs Funding Issues, you'll see plenty of back and forth on it. It is systemic. Not a person at the top or at the bottom. Its a collection of a system that needs to be improved big time. Especially with how many Vets will need help in the upcoming years/decades after those wars. 

They need more doctors that can see people day-of. Means they need to train more even if that is a program where you get your education thanks to the military and then you give them a month a year working a local VA Hospital.

A great article on this in the Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2014/05/30/how-the-va-developed-its-culture-of-coverups/#

In short their conclusion is that it was a combination of too few doctors, bureaucracy, cheating managers, and a poor evaluation system. It seems so simple to me that if they suspected the clinics were cooking the books, why didn't they just use a system similar to "secret shoppers" to get at the truth. Once a few folks got sent to jail the books would be left alone.

A great article on this in the Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2014/05/30/how-the-va-developed-its-culture-of-coverups/#

In short their conclusion is that it was a combination of too few doctors, bureaucracy, cheating managers, and a poor evaluation system. It seems so simple to me that if they suspected the clinics were cooking the books, why didn't they just use a system similar to "secret shoppers" to get at the truth. Once a few folks got sent to jail the books would be left alone.

I suspect that the problem has been known for some time, by everyone.   The problem is that if you say this is broken and it needs to be fixed, then you are on the hook for actually fixing it and that, IMO, is why nothing much was done.

We'll see what happens. If voices from the Hill offer ideas to make it better moving forward, we might have something. If it turns into panels and millions of dollars to investigate/blame instead of fix. We'll know they've got jack ****.

For once we'd like some realistic solutions that everybody can get behind and just do. These Vets deserve that much at least.

so with Obama's take on it, we can chalk this up to outdated computers? Really? How does that have anything to do with two sets of books? So we just pour more money into this system? Could this be a more cliched and predicatable response?  I just hope there's some accountability but the presser today was a low point for this Administration. And they've hit many lows imho.

Archived