Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best documentaries you've seen lately?

Spaceman Spiff

There was a documentary on discover channel called Valley Up about the history of rock climbing in Yosemite Valley, It was amazing those guys are freaking nuts and have way more courage than I could ever have. No chance I'd ever free climb the rock faces the current climbers do, don't care what my skill level in climbing is. Although some of them now climb with a base jumping parachute for backup or just to use when they get to the top to get back down quickly. If you have the spare time, it's worth watching. Absolutely insane. Unfortunately, I do not see it on Discovery Channel on demand anymore and I just watched it last weekend.

I also saw montage of heck and thought it was ok. Any sort of documentary on Cobain is going to be interesting so hard to mess that up. That said I thought it could be better. Courtney Love def seems to still be on some sort of uppers which was sad to see. Strange that Dave Grohl had no current thoughts on it and wasnt involved with the project. He is a brilliant musician, I would have much rather heard what he had to say rather than Loves motor mouthing scrambled thoughts. Hell, she might have even killed him some of details about the suicide are def sketchy.

Edit: I looked up why Grohl wasn't in the documentary and it was because he was busy recording the foo fighters latest record. Two weeks before the documentary aired they actually did interview him but left it on the cutting room floor because it was basically too late to include anything from it. They should have let his interview run during the credits or something then if that was the case. I don't know just seems weird that one of the few people who was there for everything was completely left out and for me is one of the reasons I thought this documentary could have been much better.

Also, I recently watched the entire Ken Burns civil war documentary on amazon prime. Took me quite some time to get through it all, but easily worth it. Probably the best documentary I've ever seen and by far the best account of the war that exists on screen

I have always loved his Civil War documentary.Great narration by David McCullough ( love his voice) , moving music, and Shelby Foote's knowledge makes you feel as if he was there during those years. 

Btw, its being remastered for its 25th anniversary.  Will air on Sept. 7th-11th. 

http://www.pbs.org/about/news/archive/2015/ken-burnss-civil-war-re-mastered-achieve-highes/

September 7-11, 2015 at 9:00 p.m. ET (check local listings). 

The broadcast, which coincides with the 25th anniversary of the original broadcast of THE CIVIL WAR, will present for the first time a newly restored high definition version. The restoration was done by Daniel J. White and supervised by Paul Barnes (lead editor of THE CIVIL WAR) of Ken Burns’s production company, Florentine Films, in association with the George Eastman House.  Funding for the restoration was provided by Bank of America, PBS and The Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

Over the course of two months, 50,000 feet of the original 16mm film negative, which is preserved at the George Eastman House, was scanned frame by frame at 4K (4096 x 2160 pixels, the resolution used for Ultra High Definition).  The standard definition 1990 broadcast was taken from a duplicate of the original negative, resulting in a loss of quality. This is the first time the film will be seen with the exact same fidelity and framing as the negative that Burns and his co-cinematographers Allen Moore and Buddy Squires shot over 25 years ago.

Anyone seen the documentary on the final days of the U.S. presence in Saigon?  I saw it the other days on one of those cable channels (History, Smithsonian, National Geographic). Very interesting regarding what I'll call the "escape" of U.S. personnel from the City, and also certain Vietnamese nationals who were allowed to join and come to the U.S. as refugees. The entire time I was watching, I was like damn, wouldn't want to be one of those marines who had to remain at the embassy until all civilian personnel was evacuated. Those men had to be thinking that they'd be killed by the mob, or just left, before the final helicopter came. And the Vietnamese left behind had to be crushed when they realized that not everyone could go, and that NVA had entered the city.

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw Deep Web, a documentary on Ross Ubricht (Silk Road). First off, I never would have guessed that a serious documentary like this could be brought to us by Bill and Ted. (Alex Winter wrote/directed it, Keanu Reaves narrated it)

Anyways, it was a pretty eye-opening look into the case against Ross Ulbricht. I never followed the case closely, but had seen in passing that he received a life sentence which suprised me until I saw that he'd called out hits to protect the site. Except for one pesky little detail: The prosecution dropped those charges calling them "uncharged crimes". Looking into the character of Ulbricht, murder-for-hire goes against everything he stands for as part of the mission statement for Silk Road was to take the violence out of the drug trade, and murder-for-hire was prohibited on the Silk Road. The prosecution, however, used these allegations in order to deny him bail and turn the public and jury against him without putting them up to scrutiny.

I would recommend this to people interested in the case or privacy in the digital age.

Archived