Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best documentaries you've seen lately?

Spaceman Spiff

If you're a baseball fan, one of the best docs I've ever seen to date is "Baseball" by Ken Burns. I've seriously watched every episode so many times and learn something new every single time. It's lengthy, but incredibly detailed. But then again, so is everything Ken Burns does. His docs, Jazz, The Civil War, the one he did on WWII, and a few others are absolutely phenomenal. They actually added a piece of "Baseball" a couple years ago to bring it up to date.

I think it goes without saying that so far all of the 30 for 30s are great. Minus maybe a few, but that's most likely because of lack of topical interest on my part. Couldn't get into "Slaying The Badger" at all because I don't think it would be possible for me to care any less about cycling lol. So far though, I think "Pony Excess" still holds up as my favorite. So compelling.

The one about hockey goons mentioned earlier in the thread is called "The Last Gladiators".

Also, on Netflix, check out "Schooled: The High Price of College Sports". That one is awesome.

Brett Hart: Wrestling with Shadows was really good too.

The Jinx on HBO has been fantastic.

thanks for the endorsement.  Everybody on The Twitter says its really good, but I like it when family (ES) gives something a thumbs up. 

I've got all the installments so far DVR'd, guess I'll get around to watching it sometime this week.

thanks for the endorsement.  Everybody on The Twitter says its really good, but I like it when family (ES) gives something a thumbs up. 

I've got all the installments so far DVR'd, guess I'll get around to watching it sometime this week.

You won't be disappointed. Very well done.

"The woman who wasn't there"   This one just blew my mind.   The film details events following 9/11 and how the survivors worked together in healing and getting back on with life.   There was one woman that really did a lot working with the survivors.  Only one problem, she was not in NYC during the attack.   An interesting piece and if you have not seen it, check it out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2114490/

If you're intrigued about that, you should google the name 'Sneha Anne Phillip.'  She was a doctor who lived blocks from the WTC and is listed as one of the casualties of 9/11.  The only problem?  Nobody can account for her whereabouts after ~5:15pm on the evening on 9/10.  

Obviously after the WTC attacks happened this missing persons case became a very low priority but she remains one of the 9/11 victims who had almost no link to the World Trade Center or the airplanes that hit them.

same for us, we just haven't watched 'em

but when hubby got up yesterday, it was "They got him, and he admitted it!"

same for us, we just haven't watched 'em

but when hubby got up yesterday, it was "They got him, and he admitted it!"

Every documentary directors dream.  That documentary team was a big contributor to that.  Once you watch them all you'll see what I'm talking about.  Pretty good documentary for such a weird dude.  It had to be difficult to keep up with him.  He seemed to be manically arrogant or withdrawn depending on the day.

Shocked that dude got let go with little to nothing from "just dismembering" that body in New Orleans.  That jury was bought and paid for.

Plastic Paradise. It started out about a documentary about the pacific garbage patch and digressed into an anti plastic hippie diatribe. Do not recommend.

Want to find out about the pacific garbage patch, read Wikipedia or something else that isn't biased.

Finding Vivian Maier

Finding Vivian Maier is the critically acclaimed documentary about a mysterious nanny, who secretly took over 100,000 photographs that were hidden in storage lockers and, discovered decades later, is now among the 20th century’s greatest photographers. Directed by John Maloof and Charlie Siskel, Maier’s strange and riveting life and art are revealed through never before seen photographs, films, and interviews with dozens who thought they knew her.

vivian_maier_photos-960x330.jpg

Plastic Paradise. It started out about a documentary about the pacific garbage patch and digressed into an anti plastic hippie diatribe. Do not recommend.

Want to find out about the pacific garbage patch, read Wikipedia or something else that isn't biased.

I liked it.

We should be responsible for the things we create and realize that those things have good and bad affects. And those profiting off of the above should be accountable for the bad affects.

I did try the thermal paper thing and did not get any residue on my hand like she did though.

I liked it.

We should be responsible for the things we create and realize that those things have good and bad affects. And those profiting off of the above should be accountable for the bad affects.

I did try the thermal paper thing and did not get any residue on my hand like she did though.

It just came off too sensationalist for me. I liked the first half though. I've just grown very weary of the sensationalism in journalism these days.

• 1 month later...

Going Clear was well done. Hard to watch that documentary and not come to the conclusion that Scientology is a cult.

I also realized after watching it that the movie, "The Master" is loosely based off the early days of Scientology.

Cults are so incredibly fascinating.

I thought montage of heck could have been so much better

It just felt like pure masturbation for the filmmaker for so much of it.

But hard to make an uninteresting documentary about cobain

I hoped for a lot more from the Cobain doc. To much crappy animation.

Yup. It became about the filmmaker instead of the subject matter.

Also, an absolutely amazing lack of content from Novelselic. Feels like he had a combined 45 seconds of screen time. The guy who knew Kirk best spilling his guts to the camera, and it's chopped up so the filmmaker can show how creative he is.

Pure crap imo

Also, I recently watched the entire Ken Burns civil war documentary on amazon prime. Took me quite some time to get through it all, but easily worth it. Probably the best documentary I've ever seen and by far the best account of the war that exists on screen

Just watched the Cobain documentary and while there were some parts that were very interesting, I'd say 65% of it was disappointing to say the least.  I expected more in depth interviews with Dave, Krist and Courtney.  

I had tickets to Lollapalooza 94, they were supposed to headline, then pulled out and then he died.   :(

Archived