Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Answer to Special Teams woes: Devin Hester/Draft

JCamp4QB

Morning Skins Fans,

So much attention is diverted away from one of the staples of all successful offenses; starting field position. How huge a difference would the most dynamic kick returner since Mitch make for this offense??? How much more productive and healthy would the defense be working against offenses that start inside thier own 20 instead of around the 40???

First move, GO GET HESTER!!!

Thoughts...

Morning Skins Fans,

So much attention is diverted away from one of the staples of all successful offenses; starting field position. How huge a difference would the most dynamic kick returner since Mitch make for this offense??? How much more productive and healthy would the defense be working against offenses that start inside thier own 20 instead of around the 40???

First move, GO GET HESTER!!!

Thoughts...

Even the best returner of all time needs good special teams blocking.  That, we have none of.

I've written multiple times there are dual threats that would fit this team well in FA. And frankly, given the needs, a far better option than a flyer in 5-6th round.

The more I write this, the more I'm loving the idea of McCluster here. He can be used as a decoy/true option on various sets with primary role in return game. Ginn Jr. would be a great signing but I hear he's fixed in Car. Tate at the right price would be HUGE upgrade at WR and returner...but Tate would cost us.

Hester's career is over...

I've written multiple times there are dual threats that would fit this team well in FA. And frankly, given the needs, a far better option than a flyer in 5-6th round.

The more I write this, the more I'm loving the idea of McCluster here. He can be used as a decoy/true option on various sets with primary role in return game. Ginn Jr. would be a great signing but I hear he's fixed in Car. Tate at the right price would be HUGE upgrade at WR and returner...but Tate would cost us.

Hester's career is over...

What's interesting is that McCluster didn't really return punts until this year.  Where he was very good at it.  However as a KR, he was poor, and hasn't done that since 2011.

Draft Dri Archer or sign McCluster. Otherwise our KR is already on roster

McCluster isn't a KR, he's a PR.  He's been ineffective as a KR.

Hester is so old....that Inmate was the poster who advocated drafting him (I sure miss that guy).

And for those of you who don't remember a poster named Inmate Running the Asylum, that's my point. It was a long time ago....

Whatever happened to him?

ASF and that other dude (forgot his name) were also alot of fun as well.  Can't believe I've been on this site for 7 years and counting.

Whatever happened to him?

There was a post he made where he mentioned having been diagnosed as terminally ill. Not sure if it went down that road or not. We've had one tastelessly faked death (wacky ralph) and a trio of heartbreaking real ones (One Dollar, Stratoman, and of course Bubba). I think his post was genuine.

There was a post he made where he mentioned having been diagnosed as terminally ill. Not sure if it went down that road or not. We've had one tastelessly faked death (wacky ralph) and a trio of heartbreaking real ones (One Dollar, Stratoman, and of course Bubba). I think his post was genuine.

iI know he got banned from here, don't know if he's still alive.

Doesn't matter if we have Hester or Brian Mitchell back there. Special Teams relies heavily on blocking. If the guys in front of you can't block and contain their guys, you're not going to get many good returns. Our team needs more overall depth to help out our ST. A good ST unit doesn't always necessarily return kicks to the house, but just puts their offense in a better position to score points.

Archived