Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

yes.. i would love it :)

i have my tv hooked up to a set of rabbit ears, attached outside my house to the old 1980s era coaxial cable that USED to connect to the 1980s era cable tv.    I assume that some sort of schmancy antenna might do better?  but i have no real clue.... 

yes.. i would love it :)

i have my tv hooked up to a set of rabbit ears, attached outside my house to the old 1980s era coaxial cable that USED to connect to the 1980s era cable tv.    I assume that some sort of schmancy antenna might do better?  but i have no real clue.... 

a gray-hoverman is a antenna design that you can build yourself cheaply and easily

http://www.easterngeek.com/2010/06/diy-antenna-gray-hoverman-antenna-for.html

there are numerous plans and designs off from it on the web....if you want a outdoor one simply specify that in the search as the best materials change somewhat 

the leaf/fractual antenna is a store bought indoor antenna that is flat and mounts to a interior wall or window, I believe Mohu is the most popular brand....or ya can build one

http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv-reception-antenna-discussion/47224-build-your-own-leaf-antenna.html

both are outstanding for digital over the air signals

if ya have good reception with rabbit ears it is not worth the hassle, I used to want to catch signals a 150 miles away

made mine out of things around the house in about a hour, climbing into the attic was the hard part 

too many outdoor antennas lost to storms here (dang neighbors need to learn to trim trees)

We had a decent package for 4 years and Comcast decided that it went from 10 to 80.  They said we shouldn't have had that many channels to begin with, and that's probably true, but I'm not paying that much money a month.  So now I only have the channels you'd only be able to get with antenna back in the day.  I'd go the antenna route, but we're in a dead zone.  Ridiculous money to spend on that stuff.  Netflix and Amazon Prime is where we're headed.

We had a decent package for 4 years and Comcast decided that it went from 10 to 80.  They said we shouldn't have had that many channels to begin with, and that's probably true, but I'm not paying that much money a month.  So now I only have the channels you'd only be able to get with antenna back in the day.  I'd go the antenna route, but we're in a dead zone.  Ridiculous money to spend on that stuff.  Netflix and Amazon Prime is where we're headed.

the only thing stopping me from going in this direction is the cost of getting internet alone (as opposed to my tv/internet/phone package). its been a minute since i checked, but getting internet at my house costs something like $60 a month, but my package costs less than $100 (i have a really good deal with comcast). so its worth it for me to get the bundle. 

now, if i could get internet at $25 a month or something like that, i'd consider doing away with the cable. 

btw, old bay, did you see your boy brad edwards on comcast sports net 2 weeks ago with brian mitchell? he was on talking about becoming the new AD for george mason. 

good dude. 

• Like 1

I've done it in the past and was completely satisfied other than one thing, sports. Having friends over to watch the games and having it flicker out repeatedly was annoying and now I have a new baby, DVR is a necessity. I can't take 4hours in the middle of the day to watch football anymore. So a few friends and I have started going off the grid on Sundays and getting together around 6 to fire up the games. It works out much better.

• Like 1

the only thing stopping me from going in this direction is the cost of getting internet alone (as opposed to my tv/internet/phone package). its been a minute since i checked, but getting internet at my house costs something like $60 a month, but my package costs less than $100 (i have a really good deal with comcast). so its worth it for me to get the bundle. 

now, if i could get internet at $25 a month or something like that, i'd consider doing away with the cable. 

btw, old bay, did you see your boy brad edwards on comcast sports net 2 weeks ago with brian mitchell? he was on talking about becoming the new AD for george mason. 

good dude. 

Our price for internet is only like 35 or 40 or something like that.  Even with the bundle it would now be like 120 a month from what the rep was saying.  Not worth it.  I'd like to keep it.  My wife watches a few things and she would like to keep it more than I would, I think, but not for what they're charging.  Even asking for a bit of a break via a free DVR or something, nope won't do it.

As far a Brad Edwards.  I hadn't seen the interview, but a buddy told me about him being the new AD there.  Good to see him coming back here.

I've done it in the past and was completely satisfied other than one thing, sports.

That's the one thing that has me worried, but I'll just have to make due I guess.

That's the one thing that has me worried, but I'll just have to make due I guess.

Good luck but considering you're on a football message board, it could be tough..lol. Honestly, If I could just have cable service from Sept through Feb., I would be a happy man.

If I didn't have my parents' HBO Go account and general cable log-in info (I set it up for them a few years ago) I would be a little SOL. I use my apple tv to stream ESPN/ABC/HBO which, outside of netflix and MLB.tv is all I would ever need. That said, it's a bit frustrating that we are still so tied to the cable companies. Hopefully we get to a point where a platform like Apple TV can flourish ... where you can subscribe to individual channels for a monthly fee.

I'd gladly pay $5 a month for the ESPN platform ... or $15 a month for a general sports platform. I hope we can get to that point someday. Some people will always pay for a package of channels ... and economically if you watch a lot of channels ... that can be the better choice. But I think there are enough people who would subscribe to 2-4 channels. For me it would be ESPN, CNN, HBO ... and the locals and I'd be golden. 

I know it's not totally cutting the cord but most cable providers are now offering an internet plus HBO plan for anyone that refuses to leave HBO behind and doesn't have or doesn't want to use someone else's account.

Also I understand the hate for cable companies and not wanting to pay for all the unused channels but I'm always surprised at the amount of adults willing to illegally stream whatever they want just because they can.

I still use my cable company for the internet. They'll always have me there!

I do plan to go back to having cable some day, I'm just in an in-between financial situation where I really just don't need or want all those channels. I want my sports, and I pay $300 a year for the NFL and $150 a year for MLB and $125 a year for NHL. I just can't justify paying another $80 a month to turn the tv on maybe 1-2 times a month. 

I know I've said this before probably but I was just on reddit just talking after a long night wasted arguing about MASN and the Nationals. 

Anyway more and more sports are moving to their own "networks" so I think we'll see a time in the future where all sports are on cable because it makes more money for the corporations. That's why I get so mad at the big companies. They love arguing amongst themselves about money, and blacking customers out. 

**** like this makes me want to cut the cord and say a big **** you to the cable companies. Unfortunately they're going to have such a stranglehold on sports that it will soon be very difficult to watch sports without cable. That's not what us hardworking Americans want. We just want to watch the game, not these other 100 or 200 networks. We just want to watch our local team, not pay 80 or 90, even 100 dollars per month just to give these cable companies more money to argue over. 

So on one hand I'm pissed at cable. But I can't stay away. I've said how the alternative is often poor. Yesterday I couldn't even watch FOX because it was windy out, the slightest wind throws my antenna reception off. Online streams buffer too much and are of poor resolution. 

I don't like the way the cable companies dominate sports and put their interests above those of the customer, just so they can make a buck. One day, in an act of malice and ultimate greed, all NFL games will be on cable. And they know you'll subscribe. I know the rules dictate that they be over TV. But for how much longer, until greedy corporations try to drive us all into cable? 

Time Warner and $60/mo ... I think I'm paying for the good fast stuff ... I stream the Nats on MLB.tv on a daily basis and what I pay for gets me the good 1080p picture with no interruptions

not too shabby. 

ive said before, i have a really good deal with comcast (somehow) but if i could get internet alone at a good price, i'd love to cut the cord. 

• 2 weeks later...

Really came close to cutting the cord.  Moving into a new building and getting fios which I'm pretty excited about since I do a lot of photography and uploading images to dropbox quickly will be nice.

So I signed up for the cable TV, too, which gave me two boxes in my new apartment plus the internet (no land line) for an affordable 86 per month.

A few minutes after I hung up the phone for placing the order, I thought about DVR.  DVR!  Can't live without it.  Didn't say it was included in my initial plan, assumed it was. 

Wrong.

It's an extra 30 bucks per month, I think.  Then the guy upsold me when he told me that to get the NFL network and other sports channels, I needed to upgrade.  I gritted my teeth, said ok.  Now the bill is 133 per month, Which I can afford, and honestly I don't mind the additional channels but the cheapskate in me has a bone to pick with the monthly DVR subscription.  Why should I have to pay to record shows on your fancy HD box, fios?  

So I've been researching DVR boxes that you can purchase at walmart, target, best buy that'll record your shows so you don't have to pay the monthly subscription fee.  I'm thinking on pulling the trigger on one of these in the next few days before the installer comes out but I'm not sure which to get.  Does anyone have experience with these?