Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

10 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

@d0ublestr0ker0ll you may have to rent a modem or router depending on the provider. If you want a wireless signal for your phone (cut down data usage) and tablets etc, I'd recommend buying your own router. You Can get one that will meet all your needs for around $50-100 depending on how strong a signal you want and other features.

You don't need a CPU for a router either. I've set my last 3 up on my phone and if there are any issues I can troubleshoot it from my phone automatically. No need for CD installations or software anymore. Once connected if you lose a signal and try to get online on your phone it takes you right to the specific router settings page where you can change passwords and other stuff. No issues Doug that and more convenient than using a computer for me. 

If you only want it for Xbox you should be able to just ethernet right into the Xbox with no router at all

I gotta call these mofos.  Kinda want to go up to the ISP's place to talk to 'em directly.  Says on their site that they'll mail me the self-install shiz, but maybe I can buy it at their "store" (as it's called).  It's a few blocks away.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

2 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

So at what point does Comcast and many other internet/TV subscription service providers start killing off streamers and cord cutters with data caps? 

Would never do that because a lot of their cable subscribers use massive data as well. Think of people running online gaming etc. It would cause a mass consumer revolt.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Would never do that because a lot of their cable subscribers use massive data as well. Think of people running online gaming etc. It would cause a mass consumer revolt.

Comcast has already started instituting data caps. AT&T was only granted permission to purchase time warner because they had to agree not to use data caps for the first seven years. Data caps are becoming a thing dude. 

3 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

Comcast has already started instituting data caps. AT&T was only granted permission to purchase time warner because they had to agree not to use data caps for the first seven years. Data caps are becoming a thing dude. 

In which markets? 

8 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

Does anyone have Dish? I'm thinking about getting it but I wanted to confirm the regional sports channels. Does the "120+" package include Comcast for Wizards games?

Most likely blocked out. I believe they offer the nba package. If it is like nfl...it will block a lot of the programming. 

So data caps are the fix. Hmm. Smart. How do you get around that for a reasonable price? That's part of the reason that I feel like the bigger companies will fight for the consumer. 

Just now, Kosher Ham said:

Most likely blocked out. I believe they offer the nba package. If it is like nfl...it will block a lot of the programming. 

Thanks. I'll have to call them again...trying to get a straight answer from them on which channels are included has been difficult.

Does NBA TV carry all games though? I figure that would be League Pass and I know local teams (wizards) would be blacked out if it's anything like MLB.TV.

5 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

In which markets? 

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-find-area

8 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

So data caps are the fix. Hmm. Smart. How do you get around that for a reasonable price? That's part of the reason that I feel like the bigger companies will fight for the consumer. 

I kinda feel like the FCC is going to force these companies to do away with data caps. They're already pummeling people price-wise and now they're trying to make it even worse. At some point enough is enough and the FCC recognizes this as well. 

9 minutes ago, twa said:

Competition will kill any cap effort

Depends.  A duopoly can still lead to an easy enough wink-wink nod-nod agreement to cap data.  Now if a company who's primary business is on the Internet *cough*google*cough* can expand their internet service across the country, then we might start to see Internet service that isn't lagging behind the rest of the world.

7 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Damn what the ****. 

I have no idea if a TB is enough for a month. I don't even know how much I use per month. In a household of two, it should be sufficient but that sucks for big families.

I live in Old Town Alexandria and there's no fiber optic networks here. There's a bunch of articles in the local papers of Old Town basically begging google to bring their network here. Right now it's basically Comcast or go **** your self.

17 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Damn what the ****. 

I have no idea if a TB is enough for a month. I don't even know how much I use per month. In a household of two, it should be sufficient but that sucks for big families.

Yeah dude, it's terrible. Its their answer to Kodi, Netflix, Hulu cord cutters. 

45 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

I live in Old Town Alexandria and there's no fiber optic networks here. There's a bunch of articles in the local papers of Old Town basically begging google to bring their network here. Right now it's basically Comcast or go **** your self.

Yeah dude, it's terrible. Its their answer to Kodi, Netflix, Hulu cord cutters. 

It is the same in Arlington too. When I lived there as recently as two years ago, Comcast was the only option. I also lived in NW DC last year where Comcast and RCN were the only options. Where I live now is a duoply between Verizon and Comcast.

I honestly had no idea Comcast was taking off with data caps. I don't know if Verizon has any such plans but I think I'm going to write to Comcast, cancel my service and switch Verizon. This is horse****. 

Edited by No Excuses

48 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Depends.  A duopoly can still lead to an easy enough wink-wink nod-nod agreement to cap data.  Now if a company who's primary business is on the Internet *cough*google*cough* can expand their internet service across the country, then we might start to see Internet service that isn't lagging behind the rest of the world.

I saw google is abandoning their fiber plan in favor of wireless in many markets....seems the line fees and such were prohibitive.

58 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Damn what the ****. 

A TB should be sufficient, not even my house used that with 5 people

the throttling is another issue though, if the left don't get ya ,the right will.

2 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

There is no competition even in wealthy markets. Can't imagine its better in rural and small towns.

there is if the govt allows it, we have more options than many here.

1 minute ago, twa said:

I saw google is abandoning their fiber plan in favor of wireless in many markets....seems the line fees and such were prohibitive.

A TB should be sufficient, not even my house used that with 5 people

the throttling is another issue though, if the left don't get ya ,the right will.

1 TB won't be sufficient once things move to 4K. Also with more and more things going to streaming services data is going to get used up more and more. The crazy thing is it started at 300GB lol

6 minutes ago, twa said:

I hadn't seen that.  Last I knew for fiber was that it was coming to San Antonio (not that I'll be here to see that day)