Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

I was in Kentucky until last night, and watched the Skins game on a stream site through Kodi..... 

the first couple of streams were halting and buffered quite a bit, but we found a 480 stream that didn;t buffer once.  it was awesome :)

I'm with you.  I actually had invited friends over to watch the game before it dawned on me that it was on the NFL Network which I no longer have.  Penguinskins (or whatever her name is bless her heart) in the annual where to watch thread provided the best link I ever watched.  My friends didn't even know it was a hinky stream till I told them.  Reddit seems to be the source for links to really high quality streams for all kinds of sporting events.

Edited by KAOSkins

So, I'm on my way to cutting the cord. Bought the antenna and a tablo. Going to get sling TV also. Also going for a VPN, but have a question about that.

If I get the VPN, will it disguise every device on my network or doors the VPN go on a computer and disguise only that computer, specifically? Thanks all

In the process of cutting the cord and Kodi is going to be my go to for whatever i cant find on netflix.

The nfl streams are hard to find in hd but i go to the bar for the games anyway since i live in NY and its a good way to get the day away from the women.  But i have had luck finding hockey streams in HD as well as any tv show i can ever dream of watching.

I have found a great build and if anyone wants the info pm me and ill give you the info.

In the process of cutting the cord and Kodi is going to be my go to for whatever i cant find on netflix.

The nfl streams are hard to find in hd but i go to the bar for the games anyway since i live in NY and its a good way to get the day away from the women.  But i have had luck finding hockey streams in HD as well as any tv show i can ever dream of watching.

I have found a great build and if anyone wants the info pm me and ill give you the info.

a great build ...?  

of all the Kodi options?

Why should I download something to watch sports?

Really, to each their own.

Knock on wood, but I haven't had trouble googling firstrowsports when I needed it for live streams. I don't watch every wizards game live because I be on-call or have to take care of other things. In the interest of trying to save money so I can take care of other things, I'm not paying $150-$200 to cable for something I can figure how to get for much less. It's just outrageous what I have to go through with Cox from a cost standpoint just so I can have CSN and MASN with digital feed (I really don't watch TV often enough to justify that cost and the extra channels I don't use, let alone paying to get digital channels then needing the box). I've done it before, its just not worth it to me anymore.

If I could make it rain, sure, but I can't. I have my computer plugged up right to my TV via HDMI, keeping it moving for now.

Edited by Renegade7

For the first time I have figured out how to run VLC streams online. Someone on reddit posted a complicated m3m8 or whatever link and I was like what the **** is this **** so I copy and paste it as suggested to VLC and it works fine. The problem is the quality is a bit bad. I hope this stream doesn't disconnect...but it's certainly not 1080p or high quality. Bit pixelated. 

I think I can only stream the World Juniors...too lazy to stream NFL or NHL or anything like that  :lol:

Basically, I have one computer which hosts a website and I want that computer to maintain its static IP address.  I want my other devices to be able to take advantage of the VPN so that I can stream MLB, e.g.

So, right now, you have a PC with a fixed, public, IP address, and several other devices, which are also connected to the Internet? 

I absolutely love sports.

I'm just not spending $1,400 per year to watch sports.

Heck I'll buy UK basketball season tickets for that much.

But you can't watch sports unless you get cable and the companies know this 

Trust me I've tried

I even tried VLC yesterday but the quality was bad and at the end the damn thing kept disconnecting and stopping for no reason

Watching anything over the internet is bound to be unstable, bandwidth consuming, etc 

It's basic internet I didn't pay to pimp out the internet and get like 100 MB/s download 

Either way you end up giving the companies the dollar anyway whether it's internet or cable so whatever. I'd rather watch on my big screen TV than my computer. 

It's like a $10 difference when I talked to Cox about it vs 50Mb, but I feel you (not all ISPs are like that). In my case, I am saving money doing this, but can't say that for everyone else. Seeing all the extra stuff in Kodi and Phoenix, my setup does what I need it to.

Edited by Renegade7

yeah :) i'd like to see links to that 

a ton of them for sale on ebay ect , I would be interested in what he considers the best build though(it is a rather fluid mod ;) )

easily more options than I've had time to play with

a ton of them for sale on ebay ect , I would be interested in what he considers the best build though(it is a rather fluid mod ;) )

easily more options than I've had time to play with

Its extremely fluid and has everything you would need.  from movies to live tv to live sporting events.

The name of it is The Royalist and the guy that created it has 2 others.  All 3 are good but i prefer the Royalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1fCMqQ_5Oc

theres the link follow the instructions and when you get to the point where you have the option to install the royalist, the beast, or spartan choose the one you want.  all of them have videos showing them on you tube choose the one you want.  Like i said i like the royalist

• 1 month later...

Can you watch NBC or CBS or ABC without delay if you get a Roku or Amazon Fire stick or whatever? 

I couldn't watch CBS yesterday, and I can't watch NBC today. I mean...I wouldn't object to getting the most BASIC of cable packages that had ESPN, CBS, ABC, NBC, and a few other networks like CNN. No one says you have to get Extreme HD or huge packages or subscribe to every damn cable network out there. You don't have to subscribe to NHL network or NBA TV. All I want is the most basic package. 

It just is 30 or 40 dollars extra on my bill per month which is perfectly affordable. I mean I'm just tired of turning on my TV worried to death about whether I'd be able to watch anything or not. 

Ok, I'm late to the party on this one. I bought the Roku4 a few days ago for the man cave TV, and the thing works great. Only complaint I have is a glitch where every once in awhile I have to unplug it to wake it up if I don't power it down. Which I think I have solved.