Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

You really have to figure out your antenna issue. I have an antenna (rabbit ears) in my basement and it works just fine. If your house is wired for cable, you can also hook it up in the attic and use it from a wall outlet.

There is no fix and I've done this for eight years now. Trust me if I could fix it I would.

• 3 weeks later...

Playstation Vue just dropped this week. Anyone have it or planning to sign up? If so, do you like it?

Strongly considering going that route. I just moved into a new place and I noticed the other day that my landlord still has an antenna set up on the roof from when he lived there. So in theory (correct me if I'm wrong here) I should be able to get non cable channels over the air throughout my house without issue. The top PSV plans are very reasonable and come with a lot of viewing options.

It seems to me that for less than what I'm paying for X1 with two STBs and a receiver, internet, and phone service that I don't even have a phone hooked up to, I could have more channels and more options than ever.

Someone talk to me about Kodi, please?

I saw on Facebook that someone said they get free in-theater movies and PPVs for free and it's legal. I very much doubt the legality of that. So, what does the base Kodi application do?

I have two smart TVs, why would I want to get a Fire Stick and Kodi? 

Someone talk to me about Kodi, please?

I saw on Facebook that someone said they get free in-theater movies and PPVs for free and it's legal. I very much doubt the legality of that. So, what does the base Kodi application do?

I have two smart TVs, why would I want to get a Fire Stick and Kodi? 

Kodi is a media player. I have it on Fire TV, but you can download it to most media devices including Smart TVs.  After it is installed you can load add-ons to it that enable you to stream music, sports, shows and films from different internet sources. 

Kodi is a media player. I have it on Fire TV, but you can download it to most media devices including Smart TVs. After it is installed you can load add-ons to it that enable you to stream music, sports, shows and films from different internet sources.

What's it's worth to me if I only wanted to go the legal route?

I'd say it's not free movies obtained legally.  Personally, I stay away from this kind of stuff along with bit torrent sites, etc.  

Edit: article about it...

https://torrentfreak.com/kodi-announces-legal-action-to-smash-piracy-links-160215/

http://wtvpc.com/is-kodi-legal-as-users-rise-so-do-questions/

My takes from the articles are that it's not illegal to own, but you have to know what material is legal to stream and if you use it for illegal streaming then you are on your own as they don't condone it.  

If you use it to stream from legal sources it means you already have a paid subscription to them or they are already free from their website.

I don't own one, so I can't speak to what legit content is available out there for it.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cable-costs-cord-cutting-canada-netflix-1.3525949

Eiley highlights a surprising statistic in his findings  — Canadians are bigger cord cutters than Americans.

He says that the U.S. saw about a one per cent decline in TV subscribers in 2015. But Canada saw a bigger 1.5 per cent decrease.

On the surface that seems odd because Americans have access to so many more streaming services such as Amazon, HBO and Hulu.

However, it appears that many Canadians find "creative" ways to watch shows and movies that they can't legitimately stream. Methods include illegal downloading and virtual border hopping to access Netflix content restricted to other countries.

What's it's worth to me if I only wanted to go the legal route?

depends on where you are at and what you are interested in.....there are hundreds of addons ,many mainstream as well as quirky

of course most you can access by computer, but kodi eliminates that need and has apps that can streamline use and eliminate casting

Cable companies better adjust accordingly or they're going to get left behind.

They already are.

I had a Verizon appointment scheduled for internet installation at my new residence. They called to move it to May 19th because their workers are on strike.

I already cut the cable cord. I can't wait until we have things like city wide free wifi or other sources of internet.

The issue is reliable third party links. I was watching the Leicester city game two weeks ago on one of those ad sites... Everything blocked of course. Then an hour in the stream freezes and stops. **** that. I just want to watch without interruption.

Apparently Ian darke was doing the morning game too on NBC sports net last Saturday. If I watch online it's the international feed. No Ian!!!!!

• 5 months later...

Well, the 3 giants Netflix, Hulu + and Amazon Prime have been very effective for me, You'll save loads of $$$ a month and still be able to watch anything you want to, including all sports. I've been doing that for quite sometime now. But you won't really miss out on anything, ever with this site where New TV shows come out as fast as lightning speed, shows finished airing, and boom its there Couchtuner. BTW Marvel's Luke Cage just added to this blog, I've to catch up early.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, edwardcrawf said:

Well, the 3 giants Netflix, Hulu + and Amazon Prime have been very effective for me, You'll save loads of $$$ a month and still be able to watch anything you want to, including all sports. I've been doing that for quite sometime now. But you won't really miss out on anything, ever with this site where New TV shows come out as fast as lightning speed, shows finished airing, and boom its there Couchtuner. BTW Marvel's Luke Cage just added to this blog, I've to catch up early.

How do you watch local sports? I didn't realize any of those three carried that kind of content. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grego said:

How do you watch Nats games (when you're not at the games)? 

I don't. Radio package. 

Almost never watch Nats baseball on TV because of the cord cutting. It's possible but there are so many problems  and if you all think I'm buying a VPN you're nuts. 

Edited by ixcuincle

32 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Almost never watch Nats baseball on TV because of the cord cutting.

If I lived out of the area of my sports teams, I would totally cut the cord.  I basically have Xfinity just so I can see my O's, Caps, and Wiz, it seems.  That's the only thing stopping me.

I get NFL Sunday Ticket and bought NHL Center Ice last year for the Caps.  I have to live without seeing the O's all the time.  And the Wizards (not a big deal with that suckage of a team).  With the BIG 10 network, I get most MD football and basketball games.  I'm a Memphis alum and I get a fair amount of Tigers football and basketball on CBS Sports Network and ESPN.

6 hours ago, edwardcrawf said:

I cut the cord earlier this year as well. I like it a lot.

I also have a sister who has every cable channel, so I use her account to watch NBCSN, ESPN, HBO, Starz, and Showtime.

Sling has been really good to me. FS1 and 2, NFL Network, Redzone, FX, etc are all included

6 hours ago, grego said:

How do you watch local sports? I didn't realize any of those three carried that kind of content. 

this is the major flaw. I havent watched any Nats games and I fear I will not be able to watch the Wizards. (although I think NBCSN shows local sports)

Sling is rolling out local sports channels soon, as they have also rolled out local TV channels, but it has not hit DC area.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
  • Like 1