Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Sources: NFL to add 5 percent to cap

The Evil Genius

Goodell would give Mara extra money if they were in cap hell.  May even take 18 mil away from us to give to Mara.  smh

The one thing I don't understand about Mara is... didn't he KNOW that letting Dan and Mike spend the $36M over the last 2 years would have backloaded us more in contracts at this point? We need a lot of holes to fill, or should I say... replace... which would have made it more difficult. I hate to say this, but maybe that penalty, as STUPID as it was, may have actually helped us to go forward. It didn't hurt us in '12, and although it did in '13, it let us know early not to continue with any more Shanahan meltdowns. I'm glad it's over with, but man, he and Lurie... what idiots.

http://www.rotoworld.com

A source tells Profootballtalk the 2014 salary cap could be a "few million" higher than $132 million.

The cap could reportedly spike as high as $135 million, which would be a 9.75 percent increase on 2013. That would be extremely good news for a crowded free agent market, and means we could see fewer cap casualties than in recent years. The 2013 market was extremely soft, so soft that there were whispers of collusion. It appears we're going to be in for a much more active 2014.

@ClaytonESPN According to source, the projection for the 2014 salary cap is now at $132 million.

So there's that ... if this proves true we're up about $6.2 million above the "original assessment" ... so while that might mean other players will cost more (doubt it will have that much of an impact) I choose to view that increase as "in-house money" ... money we can use on re-signing our own guys. That bump could get us Baker/Riley ... that makes me happy.

it also meams that some teams can now afford to sign free agents they were going to let walk. unless of course they just dont want to pay them at all. it figures this would happen in a year the skins actually had money to spend.. id bed many of the free agents we thought would be available will be off the market soon.

Why do teams that had cap money left  over from last year get to add the money onto this years cap? But the redskins can't add the 18m that they didn't get to spend last year to this years cap?...example eagles had 17m left over from last year,so now they have a cap of 147m..If I were the redskins I would fight that BS..

Why do teams that had cap money left  over from last year get to add the money onto this years cap? But the redskins can't add the 18m that they didn't get to spend last year to this years cap?...example eagles had 17m left over from last year,so now they have a cap of 147m..If I were the redskins I would fight that BS..

The new CBA stipulates that teams have to spend 89% of the cap over a 4 year window. That window started last year. Because of the penalty, we did not have any carryover since we were right up on the cap. BUT, what we don't spend this year will carry over into 2015, which is something to consider when looking at the upcoming contracts we have to pay. I believe the first 4 year window includes 2013-2016.

Eagles were $17m under the cap last year and thus carry that over this year. Whatever they aren't over this year, carries to next year. etc. etc.

At the end of the 4 years, the teams must have spent 89% of the cap space in that 4 year window ... so I guess a team that isn't spending ala the Eagles last year could end up with a cap of like $200 million in 2016 and have to spend at least $180m of it, which  is crazy to think about.

Actually, this is extremely helpful for this year's FA period. We were looking at a situation where we shouldn't use anywhere close to our available cap space. Now? We can go ahead and sign up some key young players longterm and take advantage of the cap increases i future years for the bigger contracts of RG3, Trent, etc. 

This is good news for the Redskins and it could help in getting some quality additions that could start for this team. It also helps some other teams that could make a run at some of the same guys we might target. I just hope they don't over pay for some guys that can't help this team win.

Well this sucks imo and just done to help the cowboys and giants out. What it also means is higher priced free agents. When I saw that price tag of 4 million guarenteed for Baker whos only had 1 sack in his career I cringed but it makes sense, nothing against Baker and I like the prospect but to keep your players the teams going to pay more then anyone likely predicted and our high cap number has too much competition now. I see it as stacking the deck in the favor of the NFL. The idea of a 4 year arms race for the teams who save money is scarey for the future of the league but Im sure in the private deals the owners wont let contracts get too much out of hand. Buyers market big time, should be interesting

I agree that this kinda sucks. It seems like we just gain a bunch of money over the next few years, but prices for players will now increase so it'll end up just evening out in the end for us. We'll have to overpay for the good players since everyone else will have extra cash to spend. A team like the cowboys makes out like a bandit though because now they know they'll have cash in the future, so it's easier to keep a player like Ware. Cap hell to heaven for them.

Archived