Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Sources: NFL to add 5 percent to cap

The Evil Genius

Even more $'s to spend in FA...or waste on resigning more of our own 2nd rate CB's.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10487942/nfl-projected-raise-salary-cap-130-million

Sources: NFL to add 5 percent to cap
Updated: February 20, 2014, 10:40 AM ET
By Adam Schefter | ESPN

The NFL will raise its salary cap to about $130 million, up about 5 percent from $123 million last season, league sources said Thursday.

The $130 million figure is higher than teams were expecting and is welcome news for many, especially the cash-strapped Dallas Cowboys and New Orleans Saints.

This is a repeat post from the FA Database thread but thought it relevant here too:

"So I pulled my Excel Sheet back up ... Here's what I've got, with Hall's $3.25m (estimated) 2014 cap hit and the increased Salary Cap to $130 million:

34 players that SHOULD make the 53-man roster: $76,686,766 in salary

7 players that make up dead space of: $7,470,233

Total Committed salary for 34 players + Dead Space = $84,156,999

Total Cap Space with new Cap: $45,843,001

For those curious ... here is who I have on that "53 man" from most expensive to least

- Trent Williams, Pierre Garcon, Barry Cofield, Robert Griffin III, Will Montgomery, Kory Lichtensteiger, DeAngelo Hall, Ryan Kerrigan, Logan Paulson, Jarvis Jenkins, Roy Helu, Darrel Young, Nick Sundberg, David Amerson, Leonard Hankerson, Josh LeReibus, Niles Paul, Keenan Robinson, Maurice Hurt, Jordan Reed, Alfred Morris, Richard Crawford, Aldrick Robinson, Chris Neild, Tom Compton, Kai Forbath, Chris Thompson, Brandon Jenkins, Phillip Thomas, Bacarri Rambo, Doug Worthington, Will Compton, Chase Minnifield

Players I have removed from the current "roster" of 58 from highest cap savings to lowest:

- Stephen Bowen (June 1), Adam Carriker (June 1), Chris Chester, Tyler Polumbus, Sav Rocca, Kedrick Golston, Evan Royster, Josh Hull, Ryan Mouton, Kevin Kowalski, David Gettis, Richard Quinn, Adrian Robinson, Robert Malone, Josh Bellamy, Trenton Robinson, Kyle Nelson, Nick Williams, Jawan Jamison, Jeremy Kimbrough, Peyton Thompson, Tevita Stevens, Davin Meggett, Gabe Miller, Kirk Cousins (TRADE)

Even WITH the Hall signing ... that's a lot of dough. After in-season flex of $3m ... $5m for draft picks and $800k for PS players you still have $37 million to spend."

I think Carriker or Bowen (at least one) gets the June 1st designation ... maybe not both. So that number could go down a couple million ... but you could also see the team keep guys like David Gettis or Jeremy Kimbrough (only $570k contracts) ... and release guys like Montgomery for $1.925m or Lichtensteiger for $1.1 million ... so that's NOT a hard number just an estimate ... but something to play around with nonetheless.

This is a repeat post from the FA Database thread but thought it relevant here too:

"So I pulled my Excel Sheet back up ... Here's what I've got, with Hall's $3.25m (estimated) 2014 cap hit and the increased Salary Cap to $130 million:

34 players that SHOULD make the 53-man roster: $76,686,766 in salary

7 players that make up dead space of: $7,470,233

Total Committed salary for 34 players + Dead Space = $84,156,999

Total Cap Space with new Cap: $45,843,001

For those curious ... here is who I have on that "53 man" from most expensive to least

- Trent Williams, Pierre Garcon, Barry Cofield, Robert Griffin III, Will Montgomery, Kory Lichtensteiger, DeAngelo Hall, Ryan Kerrigan, Logan Paulson, Jarvis Jenkins, Roy Helu, Darrel Young, Nick Sundberg, David Amerson, Leonard Hankerson, Josh LeReibus, Niles Paul, Keenan Robinson, Maurice Hurt, Jordan Reed, Alfred Morris, Richard Crawford, Aldrick Robinson, Chris Neild, Tom Compton, Kai Forbath, Chris Thompson, Brandon Jenkins, Phillip Thomas, Bacarri Rambo, Doug Worthington, Will Compton, Chase Minnifield

Players I have removed from the current "roster" of 58 from highest cap savings to lowest:

- Stephen Bowen (June 1), Adam Carriker (June 1), Chris Chester, Tyler Polumbus, Sav Rocca, Kedrick Golston, Evan Royster, Josh Hull, Ryan Mouton, Kevin Kowalski, David Gettis, Richard Quinn, Adrian Robinson, Robert Malone, Josh Bellamy, Trenton Robinson, Kyle Nelson, Nick Williams, Jawan Jamison, Jeremy Kimbrough, Peyton Thompson, Tevita Stevens, Davin Meggett, Gabe Miller, Kirk Cousins (TRADE)

Even WITH the Hall signing ... that's a lot of dough. After in-season flex of $3m ... $5m for draft picks and $800k for PS players you still have $37 million to spend."

Just curious is that alot of money for 20 players that you need?  I guess I am just thinking that if I had 40 people on my roster and had that kind of money then yeah I can just spend freely but (and I really don't know) is that enough money for that many players that are needed?

Just curious is that alot of money for 20 players that you need?  I guess I am just thinking that if I had 40 people on my roster and had that kind of money then yeah I can just spend freely but (and I really don't know) is that enough money for that many players that are needed?

Yes and no. It certainly opens up a LOT of holes and not just at backup spots. But in that scenario I do trade Cousins so you would expect at least a pick from that. So if you have 7 picks, I would assume 6-7 from drafted players and UDFA make the squad. So then you're talking about needing 13 additions. 

Now if you take away our own guys ... let's assume you re-sign Orakpo, Riley, Merriweather, Baker and Gumbs ... you only need to add 8 players. Of course you won't have $37 million to do that with ... but you shouldn't be "short" on money.

Yes, we have a lot of holes to fill ... so that $37 million post-draft signings/PS and in-season designation isn't as impressive as it would be if we had lot less projected turnover.

Actually, if you take that $37 million and divide it by 13 you get $2.8 million per player. Now, if you're re-signing Orakpo for $10m in 2014 and sign someone like Byrd for $8m in 2014 you won't be spending near $3m per player ... lot of vet. mins in there too that won't be much more than $1m. If you assume 2 big contracts (in this example Orakpo and Byrd), then you're talking about 11 players at an average of $1.7 million in 2014. That's still decent. 

Yes and no. It certainly opens up a LOT of holes and not just at backup spots. But in that scenario I do trade Cousins so you would expect at least a pick from that. So if you have 7 picks, I would assume 6-7 from drafted players and UDFA make the squad. So then you're talking about needing 13 additions. 

Now if you take away our own guys ... let's assume you re-sign Orakpo, Riley, Merriweather, Baker and Gumbs ... you only need to add 8 players. Of course you won't have $37 million to do that with ... but you shouldn't be "short" on money.

Yes, we have a lot of holes to fill ... so that $37 million post-draft signings/PS and in-season designation isn't as impressive as it would be if we had lot less projected turnover.

Actually, if you take that $37 million and divide it by 13 you get $2.8 million per player. Now, if you're re-signing Orakpo for $10m in 2014 and sign someone like Byrd for $8m in 2014 you won't be spending near $3m per player ... lot of vet. mins in there too that won't be much more than $1m. If you assume 2 big contracts (in this example Orakpo and Byrd), then you're talking about 11 players at an average of $1.7 million in 2014. That's still decent. 

Thanks for the information, so how many top FA do you think we can get with that?  Unrealistically I would want to sign Alex Mack, Davin Joseph (if released), Orakpo, Verner, Dansby, B Spikes, Jerome Simpson and Ryan Harris.  Is it possible to get that many good FA

Good news for those teams in cap hell.

We're such a wreck right now that I don't see a way out of hell without cutting Ware, Spencer, Austin, and about ten others outright and just settling our cap woes all at once.  Jerry, of course, will re-sign and re-structure and kick the can down the road while, falsely, believing that there is sufficient talent on the roster to both fill the seats and win the Super Bowl.

Thanks for the information, so how many top FA do you think we can get with that?  Unrealistically I would want to sign Alex Mack, Davin Joseph (if released), Orakpo, Verner, Dansby, B Spikes, Jerome Simpson and Ryan Harris.  Is it possible to get that many good FA

I mean it's really hard to tell. I would think we could sign 3 guys that fall in the $7-10 million a year range ... including Orakpo if we so choose. But doing that would really hamper the rest of the signings. I think more realistically ... we get one big guy (Orakpo) ... a couple higher end guys between $4-6m per year ... a few guys that might be "show me" deals to younger guys like Donald Butler, Perry Riley, etc. ... and then some vet mins.

In your scenario ... Orakpo likely costs around $9m ... Verner around $8m ... Mack around $8m ... Spikes around $4m ... Dansby around $4m ... Joseph around $3-4m, Simpson around $4m and Harris around $1-2m. Right there you're at $39 million for 8 guys ... and those are purely speculative guesses on 2014 cap hits. Could it be done? Sure ... but it would limit the amount of depth you could acquire.

I mean it's really hard to tell. I would think we could sign 3 guys that fall in the $7-10 million a year range ... including Orakpo if we so choose. But doing that would really hamper the rest of the signings. I think more realistically ... we get one big guy (Orakpo) ... a couple higher end guys between $4-6m per year ... a few guys that might be "show me" deals to younger guys like Donald Butler, Perry Riley, etc. ... and then some vet mins.

In your scenario ... Orakpo likely costs around $9m ... Verner around $8m ... Mack around $8m ... Spikes around $4m ... Dansby around $4m ... Joseph around $3-4m, Simpson around $4m and Harris around $1-2m. Right there you're at $39 million for 8 guys ... and those are purely speculative guesses on 2014 cap hits. Could it be done? Sure ... but it would limit the amount of depth you could acquire.

Would it not depend on how they structured those signings you mentioned? The team has alot of holes but some wise free agent signings and a good draft and things could be on the upswing.

Good news is we have mo money, bad news is other teams also have mo money. That means that there will be higher salaries given out, when you have more buyers the prices go up.

Kinda pissed about this news personally, can't help think that this was done to help the Cowboys out. Yea everyone gets more money to spend but when you have 38 million and you increase that to 43 million is that the same as a team with an negative balance getting closer to positive? Not really

Good news is we have mo money, bad news is other teams also have mo money. That means that there will be higher salaries given out, when you have more buyers the prices go up.

Kinda pissed about this news personally, can't help think that this was done to help the Cowboys out. Yea everyone gets more money to spend but when you have 38 million and you increase that to 43 million is that the same as a team with an negative balance getting closer to positive? Not really

If it's the difference between a stud and settling for less at a key position, I'm fine with it.

Besides, who cares what other teams do? Take care of your own and it'll all fall into place. This is only bad news if the signing we make with it is a poor one.

Two things -

Havent we learned that FA signings are not the way to build the core? We should use this cash surplus to identify and address key, limited areas of need that we think cannot be addressed via the draft. If we want to resign Orakpo, the best usage of this space is to give him a $20M base salary next year. Take the cap hit while we have the space.

B/c in upcoming years, we are going to need the room. In two years RG3 will be backing up the Brinks truck, and while bonuses and proration will be more important for his deal, we will soon join the clubs' whose cap is QB dominated.

We dont need it. Iirc, the giants and cowboys do. I dont think there is a conspiracy against the skins, but there is definitely favortism and bias towards the giants.

Isn't the cap determined as a % of total league revenues per the CBA?  I'm not sure how it could be tilted towards one particular team's needs.  Revenue is a pretty hard number to doctor.

Rich Tandler posted an article suggesting that the cap increase will raise Orakpo's tag number.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/increase-cap-would-make-tag-orakpo-more-expensive?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Does anybody know why?  I thought it was based on the top salaries at each position.  Why would the overall cap number change it?

Thanks!

If it's the difference between a stud and settling for less at a key position, I'm fine with it.

Besides, who cares what other teams do? Take care of your own and it'll all fall into place. This is only bad news if the signing we make with it is a poor one.

Everyone should care, the free agent pool is open to everyone and the more teams that have money the more likely the Redskins lose out on a target because there is another team offering more money

Everyone should care, the free agent pool is open to everyone and the more teams that have money the more likely the Redskins lose out on a target because there is another team offering more money

While I agree this is somewhat true ... there are also plenty of teams in this league that simply choose not to spend money. I know there is a cap floor, but still, many teams stay between $10 and $20 million UNDER the cap. The Redskins, Boys and the contending teams are always up against the cap since they win and their owners understand how to win. 

Two things -

Havent we learned that FA signings are not the way to build the core? We should use this cash surplus to identify and address key, limited areas of need that we think cannot be addressed via the draft. If we want to resign Orakpo, the best usage of this space is to give him a $20M base salary next year. Take the cap hit while we have the space.

B/c in upcoming years, we are going to need the room. In two years RG3 will be backing up the Brinks truck, and while bonuses and proration will be more important for his deal, we will soon join the clubs' whose cap is QB dominated.

so what's wrong with a scenario when you can sign a player like Byrd, proven to be one of the best at his position, very young and just wants to be on a good team? Its almost the same as having someone you drafted only kind of better because he's proven already. Just because you sign a high end FA doesn't mean its always gawn be a fat all.

And to add, are you saying that London,, Hall and plenty of others over the years aren't core players?

Archived