Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Business Insider - Here's The Basic Science Question That 1 in 4 Americans Got Wrong

The Evil Genius

This makes me sad.

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Here-s-The-Basic-Science-Question-That-1-in-4-5248649.php

The Earth circles the sun once every year, but a startling 26% of Americans get this simple fact backward. They think that the sun orbits around the Earth.

This shocking finding comes from a survey of more than 2,200 people in the United States, conducted by the National Science Foundation in 2012. The survey, done every two years, tests the public's knowledge of basic facts in the physical and biological sciences.

The survey is included in a major federal report, Science and Engineering Indicators, prepared for the president and Congress.

In 2012, Americans answered an average of 5.8 out of the survey's 9 questions correctly. That's a score of 65% — barely a passing grade.

All of the questions on the survey are listed below. Take the quiz, then see how you compare to your fellow compatriots.

MORE AFTER LINK ABOVE

that sort of test usually tests the willingness, ability and patience of people to take tests, more than anyhting else, i bet

if you went up to somebody and said "if you get 70% correct on this test, i will give you $10,000" i bet scores would skyrocket.

"The Earth circles the sun once every year"

This is not entirely accurate. The Sun and the Earth orbit their center of mass, aka barycenter.

And even this is an approximation, as the Earth actually orbits where the barycenter was about eight minutes ago as gravity propagates at approximately the speed of light.

100% for me.  Then again, I went to school in the 50s and 60s when education was a real thing.  Now, the only people who are educated are motivated to learn on their own after their lessons in school.  But this basic stuff everyone should have been taught prior to 8th grade, or even in elementary school.

twa, that was so funny!  Orbit = chewing gum.  Thanks for the laugh! :D

100% for me.  Then again, I went to school in the 50s and 60s when education was a real thing.  Now, the only people who are educated are motivated to learn on their own after their lessons in school.  But this basic stuff everyone should have been taught prior to 8th grade, or even in elementary school.

You learned about lasers and continental drift prior to 8th grade in the 50s and 60s?

This makes me sad.

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Here-s-The-Basic-Science-Question-That-1-in-4-5248649.php

The Earth circles the sun once every year, but a startling 26% of Americans get this simple fact backward. They think that the sun orbits around the Earth.

This shocking finding comes from a survey of more than 2,200 people in the United States, conducted by the National Science Foundation in 2012. The survey, done every two years, tests the public's knowledge of basic facts in the physical and biological sciences.

The survey is included in a major federal report, Science and Engineering Indicators, prepared for the president and Congress.

In 2012, Americans answered an average of 5.8 out of the survey's 9 questions correctly. That's a score of 65% — barely a passing grade.

All of the questions on the survey are listed below. Take the quiz, then see how you compare to your fellow compatriots.

MORE AFTER LINK ABOVE

What shocking is that people with college degrees only scored an average of 78% on these questions. On these questions, if your not getting 100% you need a refund from your college.

that sort of test usually tests the willingness, ability and patience of people to take tests, more than anyhting else, i bet

if you went up to somebody and said "if you get 70% correct on this test, i will give you $10,000" i bet scores would skyrocket.

I think you overestimate people. You know it or you don't, people aren't just impatient and forget the earth revolves around the sun. I have people challenge basic scientific principles on facebook with no evidence except "my friend told me". Doesn't matter if I link them to various reputable and unbiased sites yet it causes them to dig in even more sometimes. If people knew about the test in advance and could win money you can bet they'd study but a lot of people seriously don't know this stuff. If you saw my biology 1020 class you'd have a different perspective lol. It's a night class with majority working adults

lasers were old news as far as what they were

Lasers were old news in the 50s and 60s? Lasers weren't even invented until the early 60s, so consider me skeptical that they immediately made it into your elementary school science curriculum.

Certainly continental drift.  Lasers in HS.  I graduated in '69.

I'd like to see a 1960s K-12 science text book featuring lasers.

Lasers were old news in the 50s and 60s? Lasers weren't even invented until the early 60s, so consider me skeptical that they immediately made it into your elementary school science curriculum.

I'd like to see a 1960s K-12 science text book featuring lasers.

They immediately made it into one of the top grossing films of the 1960s and were fairly self explanatory (although exagerated).

Archived