Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is your NBA Mt. Rushmore?

Sticksboi05

Over the last couple weeks we've heard a lot of discussion and argument following LeBron and now Kobe's "Mt. Rushmore's" of NBA greats.

LeBron:

Michael Jordan

Magic Johnson

Larry Bird

Oscar Robertson

Kobe:

Michael Jordan

Magic Johnson

Larry Bird

Bill Russell

Who is on your NBA Mt. Rushmore?

Jordan, Kareem, LeBron, and Wilt

With all due respect to The Big O, Russell, Bird, and Magic Johnson, these four dominated the game of basketball in ways nobody else has.

Further more, if you are starting a franchise with any of the basketball players in history, these are the four names you're going to hear the most.

Jordan

Kareem

Wilt

Russell

No one ever mentions Hakeem Olajuwon..but the stats consistently put him in the top 10 (even 5) of all time.

Another older name to consider in the NBA logo, Jerry West.

edit..dang Ron..just posting on Hakeem!

It's because Hakeem didn't really figure it out until fairly late, and his prime where he was a truly transcendent player didn't last that long.  Hakeem's teams weren't that good in the 80s and the first couple years of the 90s.  When the light switch came on for him around 1993, he was as good and dominant as anyone has ever been.  And he was a really nice guy too, very easy to root for.  But that period of dominance just didn't last long enough to compare to the Kareems and Russells and Wilts of NBA history.

I might start a team with Shaq if I had to chose. And I have no idea why Kobe is so disrespected.

I'd start with Jordan.  And then after him I'd start with Russell.  But I don't think you can go wrong starting with Magic or Kareem or Oscar or Wilt or Bird either.

The problem with starting with Shaq is that you know he's missing a lot of games and coming into each season out of shape.  You know you're going to need a Kobe or a Wade or a Penny Hardaway to carry you in the meantime.  Also Shaq is a prickly and eccentric man, which led to him being a bit of a journeyman.

I don't think Kobe gets disrespected.  I see a lot of people put him in their top tens.  He's not a top ten player IMO.

Actually, I think I change my mind and go Russell over Jordan in a fantasy draft to start a team from scratch.

1.) Russell

2.) Jordan

3.) Kareem

4.) Duncan

5.) Magic

6.) Bird

7.) Wilt

8.) Oscar

That's the order I'm going with now.

If we're going just from active players and I'm getting a rookie version of each guy, this is my order:

1.) Tim Duncan

2.) Anthony Davis

3.) Kevin Durant

4.) LeBron James

5.) Dirk Nowitzki

Kareem, MJ, Russell, Wilt

Hakeem was nice, Akeem was a very rough player who loved to throw hands lol.

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to play him.  He was rough.  The game was rough.  But I've heard a lot of stories and former players say that, off the court and in the locker room, he was one of the nicest guys and best teammates in the league.

My picks are based on impact/skill/talent/achievement

1. Michael Jordan - Greatest of all-time.  Not much more need be said.  30 PPG and an all-time defensive great at the same time.  Deserved probably at least 8 MVPs but voters got bored (LeBron might suffer this same fate).  6 for 6 in the Finals is the most impressive feat IMO.  5x MVP.  6x champion  Also made the NBA a power brand globally.

2. Magic Johnson - Revolutionary player.  A 6'9 PG with handles who could run the fast break.  Yes he had an extreme amount of talent around him including Kareem but he went to the NBA Finals 9 times and won 5 in arguably the hardest era in NBA history.  Also along with Larry Bird saved the NBA in the 80s.  3x MVP.  5x champion

3. Larry Bird - How many players have averaged at least 20/10/5 a game in their career?  One.  Add 32 wins to your team as a rookie?  Check.  The only knock on Bird is longevity but at his peak he was about as complete a player as the NBA has ever seen.  Top 5 shooter and top 10 passer all-time and maybe the most clutch shooter ever also. Only LeBron has also won 3 straight MVPs and you could easily argue Bird deserved MVP honors in 87 as well carrying that debilitated Celtics team to the Finals.  Two 50-40-90 seasons both at over 28 PPG...and he did all this with half the athleticism of most all-time greats.  Just an insanely skilled player that is actually more fun to watch pass than shoot. 3x MVP  3x champion.

4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - A 20/10 center for a decade and a half.  Most unstoppable shot in NBA history.  All-time leading scorer.  6x NBA champion.  5x MVP.

Honorable mentions: Russell, Wilt, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan

When LeBron retires he'll be inside the top 5 but since he's not 30 yet, I left him off but he is already top 10 to me.

There are a lot of big men to sift through, that's for sure.

Magic Johnson ... won 5 in arguably the hardest era in NBA history.  

I honestly don't think it was the hardest era in NBA history.  It was the hardest era for anyone who wasn't on the overstacked Lakers or Celtics rosters, but it was the easiest era for those two all-star stacked teams.

The hardest era is right now, I think.  The talent keeps getting better and there are more very good teams playing than there ever have been at one time.  

If we're going just from active players and I'm getting a rookie version of each guy, this is my order:

1.) Tim Duncan

2.) Anthony Davis

3.) Kevin Durant

4.) LeBron James

5.) Dirk Nowitzki

Now you are just trolling.    :)

I honestly don't think it was the hardest era in NBA history.  It was the hardest era for anyone who wasn't on the overstacked Lakers or Celtics rosters, but it was the easiest era for those two all-star stacked teams.

The hardest era is right now, I think.  The talent keeps getting better and there are more very good teams playing than there ever have been at one time.  

I think we may be entering the toughest era as of now but even in the 2000s (2000-09) only the Lakers, Heat, Spurs, Celtics and Pistons won titles.  Lakers and Spurs combined for 7 of those.  That's about on par with the 8 the Lakers and Celtics won in the 80s.

Plus you had the 76ers who were loaded at that time as well as the Bad Boy Pistons.  So in terms of winning titles, you knew you were going against loaded teams.  It certainly wasn't fun for the Celtics getting through the eastern conference in the 80s. 

That's a very good point. Bird AND Magic played on some of the most stacked teams in history. IMO, Bird was no better than Barkley. He just has the rings.

I think we may be entering the toughest era as of now but even in the 2000s (2000-09) only the Lakers, Heat, Spurs, Celtics and Pistons won titles.  Lakers and Spurs combined for 7 of those.  That's about on par with the 8 the Lakers and Celtics won in the 80s.

Plus you had the 76ers who were loaded at that time as well as the Bad Boy Pistons.  So in terms of winning titles, you knew you were going against loaded teams.  It certainly wasn't fun for the Celtics getting through the eastern conference in the 80s. 

The Sixers were loaded for a couple of years, then 4 years later the Pistons showed up.   Milwaukee was pretty good too.  Overall, that isn't that difficult.   Meanwhile, in the West there was the Lakers and nobody else most years.

It really was a very top heavy league in the 80s.  All of the talent was on a couple of teams.    

That's a very good point. Bird AND Magic played on some of the most stacked teams in history. IMO, Bird was no better than Barkley. He just has the rings.

I love me some Barkley.  He may be my favorite player of all time.  Incredible effort, underrated by many people.  

But he really wasn't as good as Bird.   Bird was a better passer, better shooter, and until his back went south, he was a decent (not great) defender.   Barkley was a very good passer, but not as good as Bird, and he was overmatched on defense because of his lack of height.    Dude was only 6-4, ripping away rebounds from 7 footers with pure will, but that doesn't help you when that 7 footer posts you up. 

Archived