Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYC Chancellor Blasted for Keeping City Schools Opened during Snow Storm

skinsforlife101

Parents, teachers and school kids lashed out Thursday morning at schools Chancellor Carmen Farina for keeping public schools open as a huge Nor’easter slammed the city. “Why the public school system is open today in these conditions is astounding. Putting the lives of teachers, administrators, and most importantly, children, in danger by telling them to travel in this weather (many roads are still unplowed) is incomprehensible. Chancellor Farina and the DOE staff: you have some serious explaining to do,” said James Hong on the Department of Education’s Facebook page, which had hundreds of negative comments. “My legal question: Is the “chancellor” going to be personally responsible for any injuries or unfortunate deaths that may occur to students and teachers from her imbecilic decision?” asked Beth Joy.

Link to Full article: http://nypost.com/2014/02/13/parents-enraged-as-schools-stay-open-during-dangerous-blizzard/

What a stupid decision why would you risk the lives of hundreds of students, teachers and parents.  If you read the entire article This is a prime example of stupid  radical liberals in charge

Wow. I figured it would take Tailgate 4-5 posts to make this an issue of political parties. But I see the OP decided not to wait.

Yeah, especially since conservatives are supposed to be tough and liberals are supposed to be pansy wimps.

New York takes an odd pride in not ever closing.  I know when I was a teacher the decision was rarely made based on the kids.  That is, what they really were looking at was the buses.  If the buses could go all was good.  The conditions students who were walkers were almost never taken into account.  Commuter mentality.  I suspect New York suffers from that since kids probably either walk or take underground routes, but very few are actually bused and thus under the school's liability.

And yeah, they were couching this in terms of the free/reduced meal programs argument, but I think that was their selling point versus their reason.

From the portion of Mayor Bill DeBlasio's presser I saw, he explained that part of the reasoning was so the children whose only access to FOOD is at school could/would be fed.

But something like "if you're fortunate enough to be able to stay home with and feed your child(ren), feel free to do so" was also in there somewhere.

So there's that.

I can't imagine being in the position of having to put my children at risk of a bus accident just to make sure they don't go hungry.

3 people died in the DC area just from shoveling their walk yesterday.

Did they have school?

(I know that statement sounds cold, but I don't mean it that way.  I hope the friends and families of those people are doing as well as expected considering the situation and wish them the best luck.)

Did anybody die?

Did anybody actually come close to dying?

Min Lin a 36 year old who was 8 months pregnant  was hit by a bobcat  after walking her son to school.  She  was rushed to Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn after being hit by the  plow-equipped Bobcat on a street in Sunset Park. The baby was born by emergency C-section but was not doing well, a neighbor of the mom and her husband said.

Min Lin a 36 year old who was 8 months pregnant  was hit by a bobcat  after walking her son to school.  She  was rushed to Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn after being hit by the  plow-equipped Bobcat on a street in Sunset Park. The baby was born by emergency C-section but was not doing well, a neighbor of the mom and her husband said.

Liar.

Lucky i'm not a mod, because I'd ban you in a heartbeat. I hate a filthy liar.

Here is the article about Ms Lin

http://nypost.com/2014/02/13/pregnant-woman-killed-by-snowplow-in-brooklyn/

From the article

"The couple, who were married about eight years ago, have another son, Kevin, 6, who is staying with an aunt in Brooklyn, Hwang added.

Lin and her husband were loading groceries into the trunk of their car behind the Fei Long Market in Sunset Park at around 10:45 a.m. when tragedy struck."

Here is the same story from a sensationalist bull**** rag that is rarely shy about playing into ignorant right wing paranoid fantasies, and even they have the same details http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2558815/Baby-delivered-emergency-C-section-pregnant-woman-knocked-killed-snow-plow.html

Every story tells the same tale, except the one you made up to make your stupid, ignorant pinheaded anger fueled and completely bull**** point in the OP.

You are nothing but a dirty filthy liar. This board does not need your bull****.

and considering you lied about something so easily checked, i'd ban you just for being below the minimum intelligence we expect around here.

In fact, I've never ever in my ten+ years here ever reported a post, but I think i will pop my cherry on this one, because I hate a filthy ****ing liar.

~Bang

Well there you have it PeterMP, happy now?

No, I'm not happy.  Somebody has died.

I will point out according to this story though she was shopping and hit in the parking lot where she had gone shopping:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/02/13/pregnant-woman-fatally-struck-by-snow-plow-in-brooklyn/

I generally don't like criticizing people because of something that COULD have happened from their decision.

If somebody died or was seriously injured because they had school, then the people that made that decision and their decisions making processes should take a lot of heat.

That's a bad decision.

But me or somebody else could die every time I get into a car.  That doesn't necessarily make it a bad decision, and I'm generally not going to criticize everybody that gets into a car every day and drives to work because somebody COULD HAVE died.

There are various reasons to open schools.  Some parents almost certainly had to go to work.  Opening schools gives them somewhere "safe" to go where they will have people to watch (and has been pointed out already feed) them.

The down side is that you are putting more people into motion.

Where's the balance?  I don't have the information to make that decision, but before we attack a person for the decision, it is nice to some evidence that the actual wrong decision was made.

If there is evidence, then the person should take the heat!

Even with absolutely everything here shut down, we couldn't avoid a couple:

one man fell on the ice & hit his head & passed away, and one sledder hit a fire hydrant at a high rate of speed, I haven't seen an update on his condition, but he wasn't doing too well at first.

(and I'm sure I'm not the only person thinking "if it weren't for the injury I'd be offering top dollar to get the video of that second one for the Own3d thread")

Really admiring the demonstration of partisanship over integrity being displayed, here.

Someone makes the claim that someone died because schools weren't closed.

Multiple posters point out that the claim isn't true.

Multiple posters try to defend the claim, anyway.

Who cares if it's true? I have an agenda!

Back in my day we used to walk 15 miles in 4 feet of snow with nothing but burlap bags as coats and pork fat for shoes….and we liked it!

I live in Chicago now and for the first time in a long time, the schools closed for a snow day….TWICE.  They didn't actually close for snow though, they closed for cold.  I've never lived in cold like this before.  I don't remember the last time it was above freezing.  It hit 25 yesterday and I stood around in the sun soaking it up.  I can't even imagine life in Minneapolis St Paul right now.  

PS, if anyone from chicago gives you **** about driving in the snow, tell them to go **** themselves.  This flat wasteland is the easiest city to drive in for snow I've ever encountered.  All the streets are straight as an arrow and there are absolutely no hills, not even the slightest gradient.  You have to be a really terrible driver to get stuck in the snow here.

I live in Chicago now and for the first time in a long time, the schools closed for a snow day….TWICE. They didn't actually close for snow though, they closed for cold. I've never lived in cold like this before. I don't remember the last time it was above freezing. It hit 25 yesterday and I stood around in the sun soaking it up. I can't even imagine life in Minneapolis St Paul right now.

I think it was the Bob Newhart Show. Bob is living in Chicago. He comes home from work, complaining about how frozen he is. Wife asks what happened to the hat she knitted for him. "I think it went through a plate glass window".

Remember living in a Chicago suburb. My experience was that it didn't really snow that much. Like, once or twice a year. But, when it snowed, they'd plow it to the side of the road, and three months later, it would still be there, this grimy, frozen, ice dune. Didn't melt till April.

It's the tailgate. Iraq and Benghazi brought in without even a full page of posts.

Nothing like a post responding to a rant about the triumph of partisanship over integrity, from one of the people demonstrating said partisanship, trying to make it look like somebody else is doing it, (while carefully ignoring the partisanship which the poster was actively endorsing).

It's just sad to me that we've gotten to a point where decisions about closing schools for snow is yet ANOTHER ****ing opportunity to attack one of the two nearly identical, completely broken and worthless excuses for political parties in this country.  Firstly that you'd actually bring politics into that topic, of all things and secondly that you have any kind of passion for either of these parties.  Scary.

Remember living in a Chicago suburb. My experience was that it didn't really snow that much. Like, once or twice a year. But, when it snowed, they'd plow it to the side of the road, and three months later, it would still be there, this grimy, frozen, ice dune. Didn't melt till April.

This winter has been crazy.  It's in the top 10 for snowfall, somewhere around 50 inches have fallen this winter, and top 5 for measurable snow events.  We haven't had any huge snowfalls in one day, but it has been relentless since around the new year.  I don't imagine our snow dunes will melt for quite some time, and they are becoming quite grimy.

Nothing like a post responding to a rant about the triumph of partisanship over integrity, from one of the people demonstrating said partisanship, trying to make it look like somebody else is doing it, (while carefully ignoring the partisanship which the poster was actively endorsing).

Au contraire.  Nothing I posted was partisanship.  But if you want to claim something I didn't say please post it.

This isn't about party politics. This is about God punishing the transgressions of New Yorkers with storms and turbulence for electing a mayor who eats pizza with a knife and fork.

If he repeats that same iniquitous habit when eating chicken wings, expect a well deserved plague of locusts next.

Archived