Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Trek

88Comrade2000

12 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I think it's really well made.  The set, lighting, camera angles, and production values in general really catch the feel of the original series.  Even the hammy fight-scenes are perfect fits.

Vic Mignogna's Kirk is spot-on for Shatner's.  Gets all the little mannerisms and cadence down without approaching parody territory.  And Chris Doohan stepped in admirably to fill his late father's boots.  And the guest stars are pretty cool, too.  Like Lou Farrigno to play an Orion. And Jon Lajoie was masterful in that episode with the colorblind planet.

The complaints I'd have for the show are that I didn't like the addition of the Psychologist; the actress does a fine job and she does look like she belongs in the 60s vision of the future, but she's got a bit of Mary Sue in her, and she disrupts the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic stealing away much of what was McCoy's territory.  I get that she's Mignogna's girl and he wanted to give her a part, but it would have been all the more fitting to get her to play Nurse Chapel like Roddenberry did with Majel Barrett.

I find at times they can be a bit brow-beaty with the morality play.  Little things like Spock going out of his way to say how non-offensive it was to be called a female because females are not considered inferior just feel kinda forced and unnecessary.

And then the other complaint would be that not all of the actors are fantastic.  Grant Imahara was great on Mythbusters, but not a great Sulu.  And nothing against Todd Haberkorn, but he's not Leonard Nimoy.  Few are.

All that said, I still haven't seen the final two episodes (thanks, Axanar, for ruining everything for real fan filmmakers)

All valid points. I noticed the same things.Grant Imahara got progressively worse I felt. I actually liked Haberkorn's Spock, but didn't like both actors that did McCoy. Maybe that's why I enjoyed Counselor McKenna?

11 hours ago, Zguy28 said:

All valid points. I noticed the same things.Grant Imahara got progressively worse I felt. I actually liked Haberkorn's Spock, but didn't like both actors that did McCoy. Maybe that's why I enjoyed Counselor McKenna?

I don't know how much Grant got worse as much as they started showing more of him.  The first couple episodes, I remember remarking that he wasn't great and I thought that they intentionally kept him from getting too much screen time as a result, but then we started seeing more of him as time went on.

As for McCoy, I don't recall them being distractingly bad, but they weren't great McCoys, either.  I guess I shouldn't have singled out Haberkorn when talking about the acting because, like I said, he wasn't bad, he just wasn't Leonard Nimoy; it's incredibly hard to live up to a legend like him.  It was all the more apparent for him just because of how central his character is (especially given the previously discussed reduction of role McCoy had).

Did you ever see the video Vic Mignogna put out on the work he put into the music for it?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

STD is winding down it's first season.  Think there's 2 more episodes left for this season.  I'm starting to like the show now.

There's an underlying story arch to this season, that's been playing out.  Seeing the arch played out makes one understand;

some of the early episodes.

Spoiler

Tonight's episode was great for me because they killed off Captain Lorca- who turned out be from the mirror universe.

They said Season 2 will be more traditional like.  

• 4 months later...

This seems interesting, regarding future Star Trek series:

http://ew.com/tv/2018/06/19/alex-kurtzman-star-trek-series/

I would love to see a show with Captain Picard again. I hope that one comes to fruition.

Patrick Stewart Rumored to Return as Jean-Luc Picard in 'Star Trek' Reboot

Make it So, Patrick.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 ways Star Trek could bring back Picard (and actually make it work)

The only that seem interesting to me, would be Picard as a teacher in the future at Starfleet Academy.

If I were to bring back Picard, I'd have him as an admiral but circumstances put him aboard the current Enterprise ship. Joining the Enterprise crew on her new adventures.

• 5 weeks later...

My take on the trailer is that Pike is taking command of Discovery as the Enterprise had sent out a distress call.  I think we will see both ships at times, but not necessarily both of them together throughout season 2.  Cause him taking over Discovery doesn't make a lot of sense if the Enterprise is fully functional.  

Just now, TK said:

Same here though I wish they'd drop it all at once like Netflix.

Yeah, that is annoying man.  That's why I waited until the second half of season one finished up, then got CBS All Access.  Now that I know it will be Jan. 2019 for season 2, gonna cancel my subscription, no need to pay for it for 5 months.  

16 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Yeah, that is annoying man.  That's why I waited until the second half of season one finished up, then got CBS All Access.  Now that I know it will be Jan. 2019 for season 2, gonna cancel my subscription, no need to pay for it for 5 months.  

Check out Salvation before you drop it. Season 1 should be on there & Season 2 just started a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I think you just explained why they don't just drop the whole year at once.  "Why pay for the other 11 months?"  

Just now, Larry said:

I think you just explained why they don't just drop the whole year at once.  "Why pay for the other 11 months?"  

If they had more content like say Netflix or Hulu, where they are pumping out shows/movies along with having retro shows/movies, but they don't.  I'm going to give Salvation a shot because TK has never steered me wrong.  But, the only content they stream is what they own which is CBS owned stuff.  And they actually are marketing to the binge watcher now.

I signed up for the free trial when the series launched.  It was like a 1 week trial, then cancelled because I had their app on Roku and it had issues, it actually wouldn't stream at all, kept getting error messages.  Because they had my email address for the account I created for the trial, I started getting emails from them trying to get me to subscribe and binge watch Discovery.  After the first half of season 1 and again after season 1 was finished.  

And because people can wait until the the season is over, pay for one month, binge watch it and whatever else they offer during that month, cancel, and wait until new content drops, is exactly why they should drop the entire season at once like they do on Netflix.  The only way to avoid subscribers from doing that would be to only offer 6 month or 12 month subscription packages, which would kill their business model.  

17 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

And because people can wait until the the season is over, pay for one month, binge watch it and whatever else they offer during that month, cancel, and wait until new content drops, is exactly why they should drop the entire season at once like they do on Netflix.  The only way to avoid subscribers from doing that would be to only offer 6 month or 12 month subscription packages, which would kill their business model.  

Or do like some content producers do, when they license their shows to Hulu or similar streamers - only allow the streamers to watch the 5 most recent episodes.  

Still.  I have to confess.  Die hard, original Trekkie, here.  (I watched Captain Kirk when it wasn't reruns.)  But I haven't subscribed to Paramount, because 

1)  The trailers I've watched don't look that attractive to me.

2)  And my older streaming devices don't have the app for Paramount.  And I don;t feel like going out and buying new streaming hardware just so I can then sign up for their service, just so I can decide whether I like the new show or not.  The barrier to entry is just too high.  (And I don't want to watch TV series on my desktop computer.)  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

Or do like some content producers do, when they license their shows to Hulu or similar streamers - only allow the streamers to watch the 5 most recent episodes.  

Still.  I have to confess.  Die hard, original Trekkie, here.  (I watched Captain Kirk when it wasn't reruns.)  But I haven't subscribed to Paramount CBS, because 

1)  The trailers I've watched don't look that attractive to me.

2)  And my older streaming devices don't have the app for Paramount CBS.  And I don;t feel like going out and buying new streaming hardware just so I can then sign up for their service, just so I can decide whether I like the new show or not.  The barrier to entry is just too high.  (And I don't want to watch TV series on my desktop computer.)  

Fixed

I'm not in, either.  Saw enough in the premier episode of Discovery along with all of Kurtzman's other work to know that the Star Trek that I know and love will not be returning for quite some time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2018 at 6:29 PM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I'm going to give Salvation a shot because TK has never steered me wrong. 

That's because it seems we both like about 98% of the same shows. :ols:

Strange Angel is another one on there for you to check out.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 6:59 PM, PokerPacker said:

Fixed

I'm not in, either.  Saw enough in the premier episode of Discovery along with all of Kurtzman's other work to know that the Star Trek that I know and love will not be returning for quite some time.

Star Trek Discovery feels like the sort of TV series someone would make if the only to Star Trek they had watched previously, starred Chris Pine.  It’s not horrible in its own right, I enjoyed it enough to keep watching, but it just doesn’t scratch the same itch.  

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Star Trek Discovery feels like the sort of TV series someone would make if the only to Star Trek they had watched previously, starred Chris Pine.  It’s not horrible in its own right, I enjoyed it enough to keep watching, but it just doesn’t scratch the same itch.  

Well Alex Kurtzman does has his hands in both the Pine movies and Discovery.

Now with the news that Patrick Stewart will be returning to Star Trek, I'm really concerned because I have zero faith in the current brain trust to make a Star Trek that is Star Trek, and now they're dragging the Star Trek that I know and love into their mess.

On 6/21/2018 at 12:58 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

5 ways Star Trek could bring back Picard (and actually make it work)

The only that seem interesting to me, would be Picard as a teacher in the future at Starfleet Academy.

If I were to bring back Picard, I'd have him as an admiral but circumstances put him aboard the current Enterprise ship. Joining the Enterprise crew on her new adventures.

Nah One of the good things about the movie reboots is it eliminated the existence of TNG. Maybe he could come back as an alternate reality Picard (Although that would be a little sketchy explaining how he was ever born)?

Edited by nonniey