Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Trek

88Comrade2000

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/producer-bryan-fuller-gives-details-on-cbs-star-trek-reboot/ Producer Bryan Fuller gives details on CBS' "Star Trek" reboot

CBS' new "Star Trek" series has found its captain, with "Hannibal" and "Wonder Falls" creator Bryan Fuller tapped as showrunner for the recently announced reboot. He will serve as executive producer and co-creator alongside Alex Kurtzman, who has had a hand in writing the most recent "Star Trek" films directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will premiere in January 2017 on CBS proper before moving to the network's new All Access digital service, where it will find its home. The high-profile franchise launch is expected to also serve as a proving ground for the video on-demand service.  

<edit>

Before embarking on creating series of his own including "Dead Like Me" for Showtime and "Pushing Daisies" for ABC, Fuller got his start in television writing stories for the "Star Trek" series "Deep Space Nine" after earning the show's attention through an open script submission program and was soon hired as a staff writer for "Star Trek: Voyager."

Fuller's most recent television success came with the cult favorite "Hannibal," which ran for three seasons on NBC and made him a fixture at Comic-Con. He is also currently working on the TV adaptation of Neil Gaiman's novel "American Gods" for Starz.

While writing for the new "Star Trek" series has barely begun, fans are already speculating that Fuller may use the opportunity to make on of his own "Trek"-related dreams come true by casting Angela Bassett at the head of the new crew, a casting choice he mused on in a 2013 interview with Den of Geek -- before the series was ever on the table.

"I want Angela Bassett to be the captain, that's who I would love to have," Fuller said at the time. "You know Captain Angela Bassett and First Officer Rosario Dawson. I would love to do that version of the show but that's in the future to be told." That future, it seems, could be at hand.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Um, what? He was half breed in the TV series. Worf was the only Klingon in Star Fleet.

The cling-ons were real assholes in The Undiscovered Country. Especially that guy from The Sound of Music. You should check it out. I guess they didn't have a problem framing and then sentencing a "half-breed" to a remote gulag. You'd think Spok would want to get more in touch with his human side in light of that.

Nicholas Meyer as in Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country?

Yes, and father of Stephanie. Makes great action movies based on sci-fi material, adapts them for the screen, etc. Loved his work in New Moon.

What CBS's is going to try with this new TV show; you are going to need the really die hard Trekkers to make it successful. There's a big portion of those Trekkers who despise the Abbrams movies.

I think you are wrong on that.   You need more than the hard core Trekie fans.   You need new fans, you need to be able to grow the franchise,  that's more important than appealing to the hard core folks.

Frankly the hard core folks are part of the problem with Star Trek.    They've so idealized the series that they all think they are experts and want to point out where the shows.. "got it wrong".       They make it hard if not impossible to develop new story threads.

I think you are wrong on that.   You need more than the hard core Trekie fans.   You need new fans, you need to be able to grow the franchise,  that's more important than appealing to the hard core folks.

Frankly the hard core folks are part of the problem with Star Trek.    They've so idealized the series that they all think they are experts and want to point out where the shows.. "got it wrong".       They make it hard if not impossible to develop new story threads.

True you need more than the hardcore fans but remember, this show isn't on a network. It's an CBS ALL-Access; so the casual viewer isn't likely to sign up to that channel to watch this.  The core trekker or sci-fi fan in general are going to be that initial audience.

So they are going to need some thing to reel in the Trekker/Sci-Fi fan but also be able to expand the general audience. I don't know what CBS expects with CBS All-Access.

But if growing the brand comes at the cost of the people who made it successful in the first place, then what's the point? You can make a new space series to capture that coveted broad-audience if you don't plan on making something that captures the essence of Star Trek.

I hope we get a casting announcement soon and who the characters will be on this show,  If they want to make the Jan. 2017 premiere date; they will probably need to start filming by July.  I would expect some sort of presence at San Diego's ComicCon this year; especially with this year being the 50th anniversary.

• 3 weeks later...

Who do you guys think would win a fight between Spock and Yoda?

Spock, clearly, because The Force isn't real. And even if it was he'd science the **** out of it with a kironide injection to pick up his own telekinetic powers and take down that grammatically-backwards punk.