Extremeskins

ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

AsburySkinsFan

Unless he goes in the second The media will say he dropped because he's gay

Good for him

Yeah, granted, the only things I know about the kid are:

1) SEC Defensive Player of the Year

2) Gay.

But I would think that #1 gets you drafted in the second, at least. More likely the first.

Good for him. I wonder if this will effect his draft position.

The kid was already a mid-round pick, I see him going in the third in a few places.  I think it was smart...if he drops significantly or goes undrafted, a lot of eyes will be on the NFL over it and it might start some sort of dialogue.  I'm sure there are forward thinking owners, and not to cheapen his orientation, but I'm pretty sure some people will see dollar signs and potential.

As for Sam, my opinion is he's set for life.  Sure, "Uncle Joe's 1940's hardware shop" might not like him, but any forward thinking major company, who can read the changes going on in society, should throw money at this guy to be a spokesperson.  And if he actually has a semi-successful career, he's gold.

I think the move was calculated and done at the right time, and I think it was smart.  I think the NFL is ready to handle it.

My guess is that a lot of you guys haven't been paying attention to the NFL lately… Teams are avoiding media circus' at all costs and this kid just crushed his already plummeting draft stock.

Every single NFL team has known since the beginning of the college season that Sam is homosexual.  While I applaud his courage, this definitely wasn't the best timing on his part.  (Especially after a poor performance in the Senior Bowl.)

Is it wrong that the first thought I had (well first thought after dang it ESPN, stop pimping stories) was how can the Redskins benefit from this?

Ha, I was thinking more along the lines of (1) hopefully this doesn't raise his stock, because we can't take him in the 3rd where we'll be drafting Shayne Skov; or (2) If this DOES lower his stock that may just help us out.  He and Skov in the same draft to go with what we have here?  Please...

We'll see what it does.  I don't think it'll have much effect on his draft status.  But good on him to come out.  It obviously didn't effect Mizzou this last year and they all knew.

Strong kid.

As a feel good / PR / political correctness move, I could see it doing a whole lot of good.

"First openly gay NFL player drafted by the most racist team in sports"

Having said that? The Skins have a lot of needs with their draft picks that are more important than adding depth behind a Pro Bowler who we'd have to be idiots to let leave in the first place.

Yeah, if the kid falls far enough, then you grab him, and who cares if he plays a need position? But I certainly HOPE that doesn't happen. For the kid's sake.

Most of you guys know me as a personnel nerd.

So I am looking at this strictly from a personnel stand point.  Sam is a playmaker and an outstanding edge rusher in the best conference in College Football.

He'd be very raw as an OLB.  But on 3rd down, he would be a cheap replacement for Orakpo who has a higher ceiling.  The plays he has made in college speak for themselves.  He has Kerrigan's motor and Rob Jackson's ball skills.  Only thing is, he has Fletcher's size (a little taller) and outside that's a problem.

Bring him in though.  He's a ball player.  I could find a spot for him on my defense.

My guess is that a lot of you guys haven't been paying attention to the NFL lately… Teams are avoiding media circus' at all costs and this kid just crushed his already plummeting draft stock.

He may not have had a great senior bowl, but how is his draft stock plummeting when he was just named the Conference Defensive Player of the year in the toughest conference (to be a defender, anyway) in college football.

I think that he should have waited until after he was drafted for financial reasons but good for this kid. It's time for everyone to get over this issue. Homosexuals play sports, sometimes very well, and the world keeps spinning.

Agreed.  It's going to effect his draft stock with some teams one way or another.  Whether or not they care about his sexuality, some teams aren't going to like that he's a media distraction.  Made more sense to come out publicly after he got drafted.

Good for him.  Glad we've reached the point where he feels okay saying it.  Hopefully it won't be too long before this sort of thing is met with a shrug and not much more.

He'll drop a little bit because of the "tebow effect". 

Whoever drafts him is going to have to carefully manage media access, because there are going to be about a billion interview requests.  You don't want the attention he will get to become a distraction, which it very well could be.  If that's going to cause some headaches for your organization, and you have someone else rated about equal to him, doesn't that tip the scale against him?

If he drops in the draft, it won't necessarily be because he's gay or a potential media distraction either.  The biggest thing holding this dude back is that he doesn't really have an NFL body.  And you can't fix that.  He's a defensive end but he's short and he's not going to translate what he did in college to the NFL.  He's going to have to try and make the move to OLB.

He may not have had a great senior bowl, but how is his draft stock plummeting when he was just named the Conference Defensive Player of the year in the toughest conference (to be a defender, anyway) in college football.

Yeah, but just because you are a premier college player does not mean that you will be top pro player. A player can win a lot of accolades in college without great measurables, but can get exposed pretty quickly when they get to the NFL. His measurables and his skills do not make him a can't miss prospect by any means, that is why he is projected to be a mid-rounder. I would not say that his draft stock is plummeting, but he has not done anything on the field to help himself in workouts either.  

Most of the guys that have won the SEC DPOY have done quite well in the NFL, but I don't think that alone means that Sam will necessarily make an impact in the NFL.

Every single NFL team has known since the beginning of the college season that Sam is homosexual.  While I applaud his courage, this definitely wasn't the best timing on his part.  (Especially after a poor performance in the Senior Bowl.)

Did the Patriots just make the AFC Championship game after having a player be involved in a murder case?

Did the 49ers just make the NFC Championship game after Aldon Smith and all his issues?

Did the Broncos just get to the Super Bowl after Von Miller and his issues?

Brave kid. He's just become an open target for every low life biggot out there. Not to mention the abuse he'll sadly get within the game.

Complete indictment of how backward a society we still are when this is happening and news worthy in 2014.

Really pulling for him to succeed in the pros to break down the barriers for future guys.

Hail.

Yeah, but just because you are a premier college player does not mean that you will be top pro player. A player can win a lot of accolades in college without great measurables, but can get exposed pretty quickly when they get to the NFL. His measurables and his skills do not make him a can't miss prospect by any means, that is why he is projected to be a mid-rounder. I would not say that his draft stock is plummeting, but he has not done anything on the field to help himself in workouts either.  

Most of the guys that have won the SEC DPOY have done quite well in the NFL, but I don't think that alone means that Sam will necessarily make an impact in the NFL.

Yeah.  Sam has some warts on the field.  He's undersized and kind of stiff, which begs the question about what position he can play.  And even though he was productive, a lot of that productivity was against questionable competition where he had a strength advantage that isn't going to translate to the NFL.

Throw in the certain media distraction he'll come with because, realistically, it's going to be a factor.  There are only going to be a few teams that will be willing draft him I bet.  And they will probably know that.  And that lack of competition in demand alone is going to drop his draft stock a lot.  I think he'll get on an NFL roster next season but he might go undrafted.

I would not say that his draft stock is plummeting, but he has not done anything on the field to help himself in workouts either.  

I think my point was that I've started to see rumblings that he might go undrafted, and I rather doubt that.

Made more sense to come out publicly after he got drafted.

I don't think so. Either the NFL community already knew he was gay or they didn't. If they didn't, then you certainly don't want to surprise the team that drafted you with this issue AFTER the fact. If they did already know, then it shouldn't make any difference whether you come out now or in six months.

Archived