Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Loud Music Murder Trial

Bubble Screen

Surprised no one has started a thread for this, given the trial started this week.

My early take: Dunn is cooked. That is, unless the defense can produce a witness that saw the teens stashing a weapon after the shooting.

I hate rap music. But I would never ask 4 black teens (or white, for that matter) in an SUV to turn down their music. That's just asking for trouble. It's annoying as hell, but he only had to put up with it long enough for his gf to run into the Gate to buy a bottle of wine.

I heard about this. After the guy shot up the car the kids were in, he pulled off, walked his dog and ordered a pizza like nothing happened. This is murder 1.

Yep. AFTER driving about two hours away. The guy is a POS. He also continued firing on the SUV as its FLEEING the seen. Not too bright. SYG (stand your ground) isn't going to apply here. His only defense could be if the teens did in fact have a weapon.

I think we're all "Trayvon Martined" out. We've seen this story already and chances are, this guy walks.

Uh, if I were betting, I'd be betting against it.  With long odds, in fact. 

----------

See, everyone keeps linking these cases together, when they are not even close to the same.

It's possible they both involved a Big Gulp. :)

Not much to talk about...clearly guilty unless something changes

That's mostly it, I guess.

Interestingly, this jury is sequestered and they even had court today. Dunn's fiancé testified today and supposedly didn't help his case at all.

I honestly hadn't heard about it until you mentioned it in the other thread.

Seems like some more bologna. He said he saw the teens with a gun. No gun was found. He kept firing multiple times even as the car drove off.

Supposedly, the defense is saying there was time for the teens to dispose of a weapon. And it's possible, because they drove to a nearby parking lot after the shooting and then returned to the scene. Possible, but probably unlikely.

Supposedly, the defense is saying there was time for the teens to dispose of a weapon. And it's possible, because they drove to a nearby parking lot after the shooting and then returned to the scene.

Hadn't heard that twist.

Still, far as I'm aware, he shot into the back of a car that was leaving.

(Although, if those bullets weren't the ones that killed the guy, does that make a difference?)

Hadn't heard that twist.

Still, far as I'm aware, he shot into the back of a car that was leaving.

(Although, if those bullets weren't the ones that killed the guy, does that make a difference?)

Right. That is very damning that Dunn fired shots as the Durango is driving away. Or, it at least tells you that the teens likely never had a gun. But Dunn didn't specify they had one. He says he thought he saw Davis reach down and then either he saw a gun or something appear.

As far as I know, one of the shots killed Davis as both cars were side by side. Dunn, I believe, fired 8 shots into the passenger side and one into the back window.

See, everyone keeps linking these cases together, when they are not even close to the same.

And there is no way Dunn walks, unless the defense can prove the teens had a weapon.

It's not that the cases are linked per se, but there are some similarities to the arguments though. The teens are said to have left the parking lot afterwards which creates doubt that there may have been a weapon. Once again a FL Keystone Kops police dept. bungles the investigation. The witnesses seem to have conflicting or changed stories and aren't exactly salt of the earth types. That equals doubt about their credibility. As for shooting into the back of the vehicle as it was moving away, well if he thought they had a weapon he might have expected them to fire back at him. And since they were teens playing loud rap music they're threatening to start with.

If I'm understanding it correctly, all that has to happen is for the shooter to be in fear of his life. If his lawyer can create just enough doubt that he thought there was a weapon or that maybe there was one, BINGO! Not guilty.

If I'm understanding it correctly, all that has to happen is for the shooter to be in fear of his life. 

Reasonable fear.....one word makes a big difference

just as the presence of a gun would

It's not that the cases are linked per se, but there are some similarities to the arguments though. The teens are said to have left the parking lot afterwards which creates doubt that there may have been a weapon. Once again a FL Keystone Kops police dept. bungles the investigation. The witnesses seem to have conflicting or changed stories and aren't exactly salt of the earth types. That equals doubt about their credibility. As for shooting into the back of the vehicle as it was moving away, well if he thought they had a weapon he might have expected them to fire back at him. And since they were teens playing loud rap music they're threatening to start with.

If I'm understanding it correctly, all that has to happen is for the shooter to be in fear of his life. If his lawyer can create just enough doubt that he thought there was a weapon or that maybe there was one, BINGO! Not guilty.

The sad thing is... the jury could buy into this logic. (I'm not being insulting to you by saying that. FL is just that ****ed up. )

Reasonable fear.....one word makes a big difference

just as the presence of a gun would

If I create doubt in the minds of the jury as to whether the victim had a weapon that means he was in reasonable fear of his life, no? If there was solid testimony from good upstanding citizens that the teens never left the scene it's probably a lock. However there's testimony that they may have left, that one of them may have been hiding something and the Keystone Kops didn't properly secure the scene. If his lawyer put on a decent defense, even I would be forced to vote not guilty based on the law, a very flawed law. Again, anything, literally anything that the defense can find to create doubt in the minds of the jury that the killer was in fear for his life will probably result in an acquittal. As for the reasonable part, that's very subjective and quite frankly, I think in most cases most people will find any fear for one's life to be reasonable.

it is also reasonable doubt....I kinda share your disdain for juries, and do my best to keep my life out of their justice or tender mercies. :D

I hate that cases have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt....till I'm in the dock 

So was the gun ever found in the kids' car???

No, but they briefly left the Gate parking lot and into an adjacent shopping center one. But as I said earlier, the defense is saying they had time to disgard one. That will be a key part of the case.

Also, I saw pics of the inside of the Durango. There were numchucks or however you spell them in the car. Dunn didn't say for certain there was a gun. But he did say Davis said he was going to kill him. So I guess any object like that could help Dunn's defense. And he needs a lot of help.

Archived