Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do we really know about our WR's?

bobbi3stix

In reading the ESPN article about Kyle, it mentions his offensive stats throughout his career. And in reading a couple things stood out. One being the scoring (or lack of) and the production of receivers outside of the "#1".

As we await the free agency and draft, couldn't it be argued that we may be just fine at the WR position? We have speed (Robinson), we have size IMO (Hankerson) and we have Garcon who think is in desperate need of some help in regards to another target to take away the focus.

Here is the article I am referencing. http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/3859/coordinating-numbers-from-shanahans-offenses

Not having to address the WR position would greatly help our situation, just stating the obvious. As mentioned by some in various topics I wouldn't want what's out there anyway.

Kyle seems to really be a "one trick pony", and with that I don't think we can hold our group accountable as their playcalling and development have suffered from him. So, after reading the article- what do we really know about our WR's?

Garcon is a great receiver, Robinson seems to be good at nothing but the go route, Reed may be special if he can stay healthy and Hankerson can't stay healthy. I think another WR opposite Garcon is a must this off-season.

And I am aware that Reed is a TE but he flashed great ability and would help the outside guys a ton if he can stay on the field.

I've read a few articles that talked about Robinsons progression. IIRC, his problem really is knowing when to use his speed. He has a habit of running his routes too fast. And if he's able to better control that speed, he could be dangerous (at least that's what I gather collectively from the various articles I've read).

Garcon is a great receiver, Robinson seems to be good at nothing but the go route, Reed may be special if he can stay healthy and Hankerson can't stay healthy. I think another WR opposite Garcon is a must this off-season.

And I am aware the Reed is a TE but he flashed great ability and would help the outside guys a ton if he can stay on the field.

Absolutely. When he was in, it was obvious it gave the D fits. Having to cover Garcon and Reed is quite a task if he can stay healthy.

not surprised to read about our offense being able to accumulate yards, but unable to score. people often reference offensive stats in terms of yards as an indicator of how well we are doing, which is very misleading. last year, we played some really bad defenses and couldnt score. kind of a microcosm of his career numbers.

as for our WR's, garcon is good. i think hankerson can be a productive #2. he going into his fourth year and showed potential last year. i have no hope for robinson. even being a speedster, there seemed to be too many times that i saw a corner or safety stride for stride with him. he seems to have a problem with actually catching the football, which is bad for an NFL wide receiver. :)

we might be ok with our top 2. outside of decker, i'm not too thrilled with any free agents. 

We might have some assets or perhaps even just certain measurables you look for like size or speed but not really anyone that defenses have to worry about outside of Garcon. 

Hankerson could be a solid #4, I don't a #2 in him anymore. Robinson, with better coaching and more opportunity could become more consistent but there is no guarantee. Nick Williams...he may turn into a decent slot WR but he hasn't really earned anything more than the opporunity compete for a roster spot. 

In summary, yes, I still believe we need WR help, at least one more solid WR opposite Garcon. There is a great market out there for us to get one this year too and even quality discount options or low risk, high reward types. 

Hank is coming off an ACL, so it will take more than likely him until 2015 to get back to what he was, which was average.

Most WRs hit their stride in year 3. The fact that Robinson barely made a dent is not a good sign.

All that said, I don't think we should mortgage the farm to bring in a top notch #2. We are too desparately in need of defensive speed and interior OL to be able to afford that luxury. I see us picking up a #3 and giving him #2.5 money.

Hank is coming off an ACL, so it will take more than likely him until 2015 to get back to what he was, which was average.

Most WRs hit their stride in year 3. The fact that Robinson barely made a dent is not a good sign.

All that said, I don't think we should mortgage the farm to bring in a top notch #2. We are too desparately in need of defensive speed and interior OL to be able to afford that luxury. I see us picking up a #3 and giving him #2.5 money.

Hank tore not just his ACL, but also his LCL.  It's going to be tough for him.

The problem is Hankerson cannot stay healthy and has yet to put a few good games together. He is really up and down.

Reed is a  great asset but again he has health issues. His are worse I believe.He suffered his 3rd concussion in just a few years. Also, Davis is gone and Paul is clearly not a TE.

I don't have WR as the top need but it's in the top 3 or 4. It really depends on Reed to me. But that's just me.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Hanks knee injuries will be very tough to comeback from.

Hank is one of my favorite people on the Skins.  The guy stayed after training camp for hours signing for everyone who waited around, and there were a lot.  I just don't know if the guy can stay healthy.  He had a hip issue, now an ACL, neither of those are quick easy injuries to deal with.  Every time he starts to show his potential, the injury bug hits.

This draft is incredibly deep with WRs, so I think we'd be foolish not to take a chance on someone like Donte Moncrief from Ole Miss (6-3 226, reportedly a 40 around 4.4 or 4.5) or even L'Damian Washington from Missouri in the 6th or 7th (6'4" 205, his average 40 time is 4.39 according to NFL Draft Scout).

If there's no one the team likes, then I have no problem with them staying where they're at, but even if they decide not to go after anyone in the draft, I think they go after someone in FA.  It doesn't seem like all our WRs are going to be here next year:

Hankerson - he'll be here, but in what capacity no one will know until TC.

Robinson - he's got potential, and late in the season he started showing the ability to run other routes, but who knows if you can count on him to get better fast enough.  He's had a long time so far, and he's just barely picking up other routes.

Moss - Who knows.  The new HC could think he's too old, or he could see him as a veteran leader.  In my mind, as much as we all like the guy, he's had bad drops in key moments, and he's a 50/50 to be here next season.

Garcon - nobody needs to talk about that one.  He's our best.

Those are the only realistic WR candidates on our team.  That's not a great collection.  Why not add another guy, perhaps a veteran through FA?  It can't hurt.

[From Article]...as he[Kyle] runs offenses much like his father, Mike

I had to laugh at this paradox. Kyle's offense is similar to Mike but Kyle is far more pass centric and does a very good job of getting the #1 WR open in the offense. Mike was a WCO-ZBS version of smash mouth i.e. commit to the run and hit them up with play-action.

But I digress

In reading the ESPN article about Kyle, it mentions his offensive stats throughout his career. And in reading a couple things stood out. One being the scoring (or lack of) and the production of receivers outside of the "#1".

As we await the free agency and draft, couldn't it be argued that we may be just fine at the WR position? We have speed (Robinson), we have size IMO (Hankerson) and we have Garcon who think is in desperate need of some help in regards to another target to take away the focus...............Kyle seems to really be a "one trick pony", and with that I don't think we can hold our group accountable as their playcalling and development have suffered from him. So, after reading the article- what do we really know about our WR's?

I'll play devils advocate Houston didn't really have a guy across for Andre Johnson. Here Kyle only had Tana and a bunch of guys.

The blueprint for Kyle's, the Mike Shanahan's Denver WCO, got production from 2 WRs.

But specific to our WRs outside of Garcon we don't know very much other then we don't have good #2 WR.

We have a bunch #3 and #4 WRs.

I think Julian Edelman would be a cheap and rather inexpensive option who despayed durability, hands, quicks and moves. Get rid of Morgan and maybe even Hanktime.

Over 100 catches and over 1000 yards, won't be inexpensive. And we'd have to significantly outbid the Pats for him to come here.

Pretty obvious we are extremely thin after Garcon. Signing #2 or #3 WR free agents is rarely good value for dollar. It's a shame Shanahan couldn't develop a single corner or receiver for us; our cupboard is barren on both accounts.

Regardless of who we sign in free agency, we need to invest picks in the position.. continuously, over several years. It's the Packers model, routinely spending a 2nd or a 3rd, sometimes a 4th, at the position. Even when they had established veterans like Donald Driver or Greg Jennings.. they haven't missed a beat when they suddenly lose a step thanks to their drafting diligence

I think Julian Edelman would be a cheap and rather inexpensive option who despayed durability, hands, quicks and moves. Get rid of Morgan and maybe even Hanktime.

i'm not thrilled with many FA WR's, but, looking at edelman, i'd be ok with him. 

found this nugget..."The Patriots have relied on Edelman's ability to create yards after the catch all season, and the receiver finished with 470 YAC, the 11th-most of any wide receiver in the league this year."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1906771-breaking-down-julian-edelmans-breakout-season-for-the-patriots

Over 100 catches and over 1000 yards, won't be inexpensive. And we'd have to significantly outbid the Pats for him to come here.

im not sure about that. there are two ways to look at edelman. one is, hes a short WR who's only put up #'s one year with one of the best of all time throwing to him, and who just put up his best season which consists of 6 TD's, which are still more than his previous 4 seasons combined.

another is that hes got 105 catches for over 1000 yards and gets good yac. 

stilll, the pats dont have a ton of $ to spend next year. 

With only $7.6 million in cap space available, the Patriots are going to have to get creative to fill some looming holes on the team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1909819-breaking-down-patriots-2014-salary-cap-where-is-money-best-spent

Pierre is solid,and Reed looks like a special guy when healthy. Outside of those two I see a whole lot of "Mediocre".

We don't need Lynn Swann and John Stallworth on each side when we have a back who should be carrying the ball 300+ times a season. The running game was suspect at times last year because teams started to realize that without RG3 being 100 percent they could sell out for the run. EVEN with that crutch, Morris was still on pace for career numbers. Jordan Reed needs to be the focal point of the passing game. He is a special player. He also needs to stay healthy. (get a Welker helmet perhaps?)

I think Hank Time could be a solid #2 WR if he can stay healthy. I'm sorry but Robinson just doesn't have good enough hands to stay in this league for the long haul. Wide receiver is definitely not our biggest need right now, but we could look to draft a receiver in the middle rounds of the draft. I'm not too keen on any FA WR's either, other than Decker, but I doubt he leaves the Broncos for the Redskins. Moss could be good in the #5 role just to have some vet leadership within the WR's and Morgan could be brought back as a #4.

I think it's a fair question.  Poor qbing, bad line play, suspicious play calling all certainly could impact how much our receivers could shine.  We heard such glowing reports about Robinson in preseason and how he was getting it and catching everything and working every route and then it completely vanished during the regular season.  Now, I know it was preseason, but it makes you wonder.  Hankerson seemed so close, but this is two really serious injuries in three years.    The undrafted guys you never know about.  One of them did seem to flash good hands at least at the end of the year.

Everyone is our receiving corps except Garcon is just a guy. Robinson is a one-trick pony, Hank is soft, lacks speed/quickness, and has inconsistent hands, Morgan is bleh, and Moss is old. And Garcon is great, but I don't even think Garcon is a legit #1. We need a legit #1 and other receivers (including TE).

Aside from Garçon who proved to be special, I think Robinson is the only one worth keeping. Not that he's great but his speed is an asset I'm hoping if he keeps working he can be a well rounded receiver. Even when healthy, Hank has proven to be pedestrian. A big receiver who plays small.

I would take Edelman at a reasonable price to take over for Moss.

To me Hankerson could be like a Doug Baldwin or Riley Cooper. Not going to blow anybody away but talented enough to have a role. When your offense is diverse as the Redskins' is, you don't need Alshonn Jeffrey at #2 receiver. I don't think Hankerson is quite good enough to be #2 but we don't necessarily need somebody who is lights out. The rest of the guys need to go imo. I love Santana Moss but it's time to replace him with a younger guy with upside. And there are guys sitting at home on Sundays who can do what Aldrick Robinson does, and might surprise with a more diverse skillset. Josh Morgan simply needs to go.

Great article! Kyle's offense creates situations to get the #1 receiver the ball. We saw Gaffney have a career year here a few years back. But to often when opposing defenses schemed correctly we had no WR that could just flat out beat their man! Kyle will love Josh Gordon.

As far as us, I don't know if Garçon is a legitimate #1 elite receiver. I think he is very good but not great. An elite receiver can run EVERY route , and catch EVERY type of ball. Pierre doesn't run fades, very seldom runs the 9 route and can't win jump balls. Garçon would prosper with another very good receiver with size opposite him. This receiver must be able to take attention away from Pierre. Kinda like Gary Clark and Art Monk. Hankerson is just not good enough to be a starter in this league. He starts in Washington because we have had no competition or talent at the position.

Archived