Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RC: US drugstore giant CVS to remove cigarettes from store shelves

China

US drugstore giant CVS to remove cigarettes from store shelves

US retail drug store giant CVS Caremark announced Wednesday that it will stop selling cigarettes, a move immediately applauded by President Barack Obama as having a "profoundly positive impact on the health of our country."

CVS said in a statement that the decision to no longer carry tobacco products in its 7,600 stores across the United States makes it the first national pharmacy chain to take such dramatic action to discourage smoking.

"Ending the sale of cigarettes and tobacco products at CVS/pharmacy is the right thing for us to do for our customers and our company to help people on their path to better health," said Larry Merlo, President and CEO of CVS Caremark.

"Put simply, the sale of tobacco products is inconsistent with our purpose," he said.

Merlo added that CVS stores shelves will be tobacco-free by October 1 of this year.

President Barack Obama hailed the decision as a bold move that will save lives.

Click on the link for the full article

Glad to see this.  Getting harder and harder for people to pick up the habit.  But some things about smoking has puzzled me lately.  When I was 15, I was diagnosed with a birth defect in my aorta.  I had surgery to correct that, so smoking was definately out.  Plus, I never really had the desire to start nor did I ever succomb to the peer pressure.

I can understand my generation being smokers or anyone 35 and older.  What I can't understand is how someone under the age of 35 starting.  I mean, way back, the public was lied to about smoking.  Now, there is so much information on the effects of smoking, the cost is outrageous and you literally can't smoke indoors anywhere and outdoors in some places.  Why would you even want to start smoking just based on all of that?  I mean, if you are under 35, you have to either be a fool or just don't care to start smoking.  I hate to be that harsh, but I just don't understand anyone "wanting" to start smoking now.

Glad to see this.  Getting harder and harder for people to pick up the habit.  But some things about smoking has puzzled me lately.  When I was 15, I was diagnosed with a birth defect in my aorta.  I had surgery to correct that, so smoking was definately out.  Plus, I never really had the desire to start nor did I ever succomb to the peer pressure.

I can understand my generation being smokers or anyone 35 and older.  What I can't understand is how someone under the age of 35 starting.  I mean, way back, the public was lied to about smoking.  Now, there is so much information on the effects of smoking, the cost is outrageous and you literally can't smoke indoors anywhere and outdoors in some places.  Why would you even want to start smoking just based on all of that?  I mean, if you are under 35, you have to either be a fool or just don't care to start smoking.  I hate to be that harsh, but I just don't understand anyone "wanting" to start smoking now.

Gotta act cool in front of your friends right?

Because it makes you feel like you are rebelling.  The edgy kids do it.

I can think of no other reason.        

Don't smoke anymore, but I don't think I ever bought a pack from CVS. Always went to the gas station. Only went to CVS when sick and getting prescriptions. I'm sure some people did buy them there, but it makes me wonder if their cigarette sales were not good to begin with so ending it and the press gained from doing so were the motivators more so than health.

Don't smoke anymore, but I don't think I ever bought a pack from CVS. Always went to the gas station. Only went to CVS when sick and getting prescriptions. I'm sure some people did buy them there, but it makes me wonder if their cigarette sales were not good to begin with so ending it and the press gained from doing so were the motivators more so than health.

it made their self-checkout problematic 

The removal of tobacco products from their supply chain will free up a ton of store & warehouse shelf space. It will be interesting to see what products they use to replace it.

YAY!!!!

They're probably sick of the FDA doing random stings (since the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act was passed in '09 and operations rolled out en masse in 2010) and fining the hell out of them :lol:

Tobacco control efforts have been making a dent in the incidence of youth tobacco use in recent years.  Unfortunately, what we're seeing now is the rise in use of e-cigarettes among that demographic.  Use rates have skyrocketed in just the last couple years and are setting back all tobacco control efforts.  Kids are under the assumption that these are "safer" (thanks to celebrities like "health expert" and anti-vaccination moron, Jenny McCarthy, marketing for the biggest e-cig brand, Blu) and the candy flavors and cool looking cartridges are pretty enticing.  Oh yeah, and they can be converted for use of highly concentrated pot.  Regardless, a whole new generation of nicotine addicts is in the making due to the exact same marketing strategies used with real tobacco decades ago. :(

When you're young, you don't feel that smoking hurts your health too much. Like drinking, smoking weed, using prescription drugs. Smoking was socially acceptable among my friends and it didn't effect me.

So I smoked.

Same here. Started at 14 because i didn't care. By the time I was 16 and working regularly, I didn't care about the price because it wasn't like I was paying rent yet, and was making deals to get cartons at 17. I haven't smoked a cigarette in over a year and half after almost 9 years of my life.

I know I may be in minority here, but I still feel we're fighting the wrong battle here and should be trying to make them safer instead of eliminating the industry all together. They should be more like American Spirits then anything else. We know how bad alcohol can be for you, I would love to see where some upper-level beer makers are actively adding highly destructive chemicals for the sake of making their beer more addictive (with FDA approval no less).

Does this move by CVS include e-cigarettes (AKA one of the single greatest hypocrisies I have ever seen policy-wise period)?

One of my favorite people watching moments in life is watching smokers all huddled up and freezing their ass off in absolutely frigid weather just to get a few puffs in.

Ya, those were the days, smh : )

Tobacco is really a social drug like beer or alcohol, but is just way too destructive compared to the two right now. Many amazing philosophical debates over a cig break in my life, no lie.

CVS sucks anyway  :)

Its so true.  They are popping up all over the Bay Area in the past couple of years, and they really do suck.  Poorly stocked shelves, bad selection, clueless employees.  Walgreens is so much better at the drug store thing.

Its so true.  They are popping up all over the Bay Area in the past couple of years, and they really do suck.  Poorly stocked shelves, bad selection, clueless employees.  Walgreens is so much better at the drug store thing.

I like CVS more than Walgreens. I can't explain why.

Anyway, what is being missed in this story is the big push CVS is putting on setting up in-store clinics. Walgreens in Houston does seem to have far more of the Doc in a Box setups than Walgreens, and I've used it with my kids on occasion. 

This kind of one-stop shopping for healthcare is going to dominate healthcare for the coming decade, I think. My PCP has set up a "med spa" with a pharmacy and other services on site. CVS is basically going to be trying to create the lower cost version of that, it seems. I suspect now is a very good time to be a nurse practitioner.

Yeah but the American lust for prescription drugs is making CVS a mint.  Your CVS may not serve you well, but all your neighbors on the pharmy wagon love them.

Archived