Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

List your memorable games from the Shanahan era

beachboy757

Now that it has been a month since the firing of coach Shanahan and some of the flames have cooled down.  I wanted to reflect on some of the interesting matches we had during Mike's tenure here.  

Which games will you always remember (good or bad) from the Shanahan era, if any?

My favorite games were:

2010 - Wins over Packers and Bears and the shoot-outs against the Colts and Texans. Rex's first game against the Cowboys was fun too.

The low points were the Losses to Giants and Monday Night Massacre.

2011 - 9/11 opener, Hankerson's big game in Miami, going to C-Link and bullying the Seahawks, the Patriots shoot-out, and the complete sweep of the Giants.

Bad memories were John Beck, and Rex interception galore day vs the Eagles

2012 - Fun from beginning to end.

2013 - Bears game was fun, but wish I could delete the rest.

Both Dallas Games last year. Hands Down!!!!

I was gonna say, both of those games were awesome.  The first one was RGIII outplaying Romo sits to pee by a mile IN Dallas, and the other was RGIII playing mind games with Demarcus Ware while Morris ran all over everyone, cracking 200 yards with 3 TDs.

Most memorable was his last one in New Jersey at the end of 2013. Not for the game, but knowing he wouldn't be disgracing our sideline any longer.

Hail.

You are nothing if not consistent ...  :-)  

For me it was the NO game and both dallast games in 2012. The 2010 dallast game when we won because they finally called holding as they tackled orakpo the entire game is up there also.

You are nothing if not consistent ...  :-)  

Yeah, his posts are consistently worthless. :lol:

To me, it is easily the two Dallas games in 2012.

The Turkey Day game (one of the best Thanksgiving Days ever :) ).

The finale where the Redskins won the NFC East, vanquishing the Cowboys while doing it and keeping them out of the playoffs.

Obviously when this question is asked, people tend to want to focus on the wins, particularly the seven-game streak. But considering the dude went 24-40 (regular season) during his tenure here, some real abysmal losses stick out like a sore thumb.

2010: think about how the Shanny tenure started. A thrilling last-play win against the Cowboys, and then up 27-10 against the Texans as D-Mac is on fire.  Then things start getting ugly.  The loss to the Lions, featuring the benching of McNabb, the contract extension right before the Monday nighter against the Eagles, which is without question the most memorable game of Shanny's tenure here. 35-0.......one play into the second quarter! Also, given the recent suggestion that extra points might be eliminated, it can't be forgotten that the Skins lost to the Bucs in a miserable game at FedEx where we missed the XP at the end due to a bad snap/hold.

2011: Dallas beats us with six field goals in Game 3, the last one set up by, as we know now, Shanny calling a blitz on 3rd and long and Dex beats DeAngelo and gets a facemask penalty added on.  The John Beck 23-0 eyesore against the Bills was very forgettable.

2012:  Even before the seven-game romp, RG3's nearly 70-yard scamper against Minnesota was easily the most electrifying play of the past four seasons. I think the Ravens thriller and then the division-clincher against Dallas stand out as the notable ones during the streak.

2013: Philly punching us in the mouth in the opener.  The debacle against the Vikings after it seemed we might put something together. The next week, looking lifeless at Philly for the most part of the game.  Then the absolute stinker against the Chiefs at a snowy FedEx, capping off a day which left no doubt that Shanny was gone after the Graziano piece came out.

You are nothing if not consistent ... :-)

For me it was the NO game and both dallast games in 2012. The 2009 dallast game when we won because they finally called holding as they tackled orakpo the entire game is up there also.

Are u talking about the Sunday night game against Dallas in week 1 of coach mikes first season? If so, that was the 2010 season. I was at that game, and I was sooo hoarse the next day at school :) well worth it.

Obviously when this question is asked, people tend to want to focus on the wins, particularly the seven-game streak. But considering the dude went 24-40 (regular season) during his tenure here, some real abysmal losses stick out like a sore thumb.

Yep, there was some ugly losses too.  Getting shut-out by the BILLS! 23-0 and I forgot about the Tampa Bay loss which was the end of the McNabb show.  The Texans game was exciting but little did we know our defense would look that way for the next 3 years!  The first Giants game while McNabb was QB was embarrassing too.  

It's weird because even though there was so many losses, it felt good at times to watch games that felt like real NFL professional football games.  Remember during the Zorn era that fans seriously asked if the Redskins were capable of beating a college team?

Memorable games is what BeachBoy asked. I don't want to remember the bad ones and tend to forget them anyways. If we want to talk about the bad ones, then the Eagles MNF game in 2010 is by far the worst memory. I was so pumped up for that game and was with my Eagle buddies. Yeah I still hear it from them.

The Good-- Thanksgiving 2012

The Bad-- Sorry John Beck, that game was sad

The Ugly-- Kansas City Chiefs... Miserable day in the rain.  Special Teams might as well not even been on the field during kickoffs and punts.  No effort, no heart, no strategy, no anger from Shanahan.  It was then I understood it should be over.

It's weird because even though there was so many losses, it felt good at times to watch games that felt like real NFL professional football games.  Remember during the Zorn era that fans seriously asked if the Redskins were capable of beating a college team?

See, I think this is a misconception. I think the Spurrier and Zorn tenures are remembered more for the ugly ways they ended......with Spurrier, the blowout home losses to Dallas and Philly to end 2003, and the same with Zorn (Giants and Cowboys) in 2009 after Vinny had gotten fired.

What people tend to forget is that during the stretch in 2003 when we went from 3-1 to hell, a good number of those games were actually pretty close. Same with Zorn in 2009.......remember we were one chip shot Suisham field goal away from beating the until-then undefeated Saints that year.

I'm not trying to argue that those teams were necessarily as good as Shanny's, but I don't think they were necessarily markedly too much worse either.

The bottom line is that all of these guys have led squads that have lost all too often.  It drives me crazy when I see (like I did the other day) a post that says "well, last year, most of our losses were by only x number of points or less." 

However, the goal in this league is not to keep the games close........its to win. Something, sadly, the Redskins have done far too seldom, no matter who the coach has been since Gibbs 1.

Archived