Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Post:Giants passed fake ‘game-worn’ gear to fans so Eli could keep real items: lawsuit

HOF44

Hope the Feds go after the Giants with both guns blazing!!

Link

For years, the Giants operated a racket in which they “repeatedly engaged in the distribution of fraudulent Giants memorabilia,” Inselberg claims.

They then “coerced and intimidated” Wagner and the Skibas “into lying to the FBI about it,” the suit alleges.

“When the Government came knocking on the Giants’ door, the response was a coverup that threw Inselberg under the bus to protect themselves and the team,” according to court papers.

The suit names Manning, the Giants, Inc., CEO John Mara, team lawyer William Heller, CFO Christine Procops, Wagner, the Skiba brothers and dry cleaner Barone as defendants.

LOL if they didnt wanna give away the game worn jerseys or whatever, they have a right to keep it. Why give fake stuff, just tell them you want to keep the gear

"The only better than selling a bunch of game worn memorabilia for profit is making people THINK you're selling a bunch of game worn memorabilia for profit"  - John McClane

The jersey swap is kinda small potatoes, but if this coercion to lie to a Federal Grand Jury has any facts to support it this could end up being a real problem.  I for one am hoping it becomes a real problem.  Nothing would please me more than the Feds going after Mara. 

It will be interesting to see where this leads.  I had been told before that "game worn" jersey's weren't always worn in-game by the player.   Any jersey that was part of the players "allocation" for that day was considered "game worn" even if they never put it on.   They supposedly have numerous extra jersey's for each player.    The person that told me this had connections with another NFL team (not the giants).  While it could have been BS, I don't think he had any reason to make it up.

If the Skins did this we would be docked all the money we made through the jerseys from the salary cap lol.

Ugh another reason to hate the Giants: "Among the many scathing claims that could tarnish Eli Manning’s squeaky-clean image is an alleged 2005 incident in which he allegedly asked Joe Skiba for an old, beat-up game helmet — and then took the headgear, signed it, and put it on the market, “falsely claiming that it was a helmet used during his 2004 rookie season.”

Why should Goodell care about the integrity of selling NFL merchandise.  It's not as if the NFL were a for profit business and merchandise is a key arm of that.  New York Giants should see a major fine and just because he has a pattern of collusion and other racketeering type of history.  Mara should see some jail time.

In a wonderful alternate world, the Giants will be found guilty of fraud. A closer inspection by the authorities will find that, not only are the uniforms fake, they were also fabricated by Vietnamese slaves in a sweat shop in an old warehouse in Queens owned by the Mara family.

Mara gets indicted on human trafficking, and loses his family's fortune in courts and via reparations. Vietnam declares the day of his bankruptcy a national holiday.

The NFL is forced to shutter the Giants franchise in a PR move, and the team moves to Omaha, Nebraska as another asset in the Buffet portfolio. Eli Manning quits football forever and becomes an actor, landing the gig of "Gomer Pyle" in the revival of the Andy Griffth Show.

At some point, the Giant's superbowl trophies are melted and cast into broken shackles for the central exhibit at the new Human Trafficking Museum in Queens.

...but such glorious happenings are unlikely.

What will happen: The plaintiff will settle for an undisclosed amount of money, and the Giants will not be required to admit any fault or wrong-doing. Case closed. The equipment guy making $70k a year gets fired. The billionaires who own the team lose a couple of month's worth of income.

What a world.

For those that think because Mara and Goodell are friends and powerful, this is going ot go away, you're kindof right, kindof wrong.

1. As far as the lawsuit goes, they have no power. They will be the defendants, and that's that. A judge/jury will decide the matter. I'm hoping the judge is a raving Jets fan. One can only hope. :)

2. Where the Mara/Goodell connection does come into play is IF this is true, and IF the Giants lose the legal battle, what does the NFL do about it? Because honestly, they probably don't HAVE to do anything. But they could take actions against the Giants. My guess is they wouldn't. But, eh, Goodell might have virtually no choice.

I'm hoping that the they dig into this and find a connection with the mob. (That's a pipe dream). And then Mara and company go to jail on federal rackateering and cooersion charges. :)

But that's unlikely. What's probably more likely is that the Giants win the suit, and it all disapears.

LOL if they didnt wanna give away the game worn jerseys or whatever, they have a right to keep it. Why give fake stuff, just tell them you want to keep the gear

If the Giants really GAVE the fake game-worn jerseys away, I don't think the Feds would be going after them. It isn't that the Giants didn't want to give away the jerseys for free. They wanted to keep the jerseys, but also make a profit from SELLING game-worn jerseys like every other NFL team does---and that's a no-no!

Archived