Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rawstory: CEO tells Daily Show ‘mentally retarded’ could work for $2: ‘You’re worth what you’re worth’

BRAVEONAWARPATH

So here is a better link.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/headlines/20140129-everything-you-want-to-know-about-the-federal-minimum-wage-proposal.ece

So 4.7% of HOURLY workers make minimum wage.  That means for every hundred of my neighbors, friends, acquaintances, people I run into at the grrocery store, less than 3 of them make minimum wage.

You guys make it sound like it's every person at the fast food joint.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/headlines/20140129-everything-you-want-to-know-about-the-federal-minimum-wage-proposal.ece

So 4.7% of HOURLY workers make minimum wage.  That means for every hundred of my neighbors, friends, acquaintances, people I run into at the grrocery store, less than 3 of them make minimum wage.

So it's hardly going to break the economy, right?  So why worry about it?    :) 

(It actually would affect everyone between the current minimum wage and the proposed new minimum wage, but it would affect the lowest people the most, of course.  I think that is more than 4.7 percent). 

So it's hardly going to break the economy, right?  So why worry about it?    :)

(It actually would affect everyone between the current minimum wage and the proposed new minimum wage, but it would affect the lowest people the most, of course.  I think that is more than 4.7 percent). 

Sold.  You've convinced me to raise the minimum wage :)

Why do some people feel like its a business' responsibly to provide money to unskilled worker being paid more than what their job is worth? 

Just ran through my numbers for this week which is my slowest time of the year where I we really strap back on our part time help. We have 112 hours by MW employees this week. Just taking an ultra conservative number with a bump of our MW from 7.25 to 10.10 is a jump in wages of just our MW workers of $16.6k a year. Thats not taking into account the numerous workers who are between 8-10 an hour. Now you have extra taxes on that extra money paid out too. A MW right now in MD costs roughly 8.25 an hour so a guess with a 10.10 mw is closer to 11 now. 

That can cripple and bankrupt numerous companies that rely on MW workers. Going to have more people losing jobs than people being able to live $21k vs 16k

Sold.  You've convinced me to raise the minimum wage :)

Holy crap.  That never happens.   Someone discussed an issue and changed their mind.  On the Tailgate.

I don't even know what to do now.

seriously, mad props to you.  Some people on here just argue forever and just dig in their heels and don't try to learn anything or listen to anyone (heck, sometimes I'm that guy)  

I want to buy you a beer right now

So 4.7% of HOURLY workers make minimum wage. That means for every hundred of my neighbors, friends, acquaintances, people I run into at the grrocery store, less than 3 of them make minimum wage.

Only 4.7% make the MINIMUM....key word in that statistic, work for Burger King 90 days and you may get a raise, oops there goes the minimum, but the nickle or dime you get above the minimum is still close enough to be affected by an increase in the minimum wage.

Take the total hourly work force is 75 million workers 4.7% of that is 3,525,000 people making the very minimum, if you want to get a real picture then get the stats for everyone working for about $2 above the minimum, because most likely that's who will be affected.

That's $19,240 per year, that's still poverty for a single parent of two kids.

BTW, I saw you said that you were convinced, I hope I just didn't unconvince you,

That can cripple and bankrupt numerous companies that rely on MW workers. Going to have more people losing jobs than people being able to live $21k vs 16k

Never fear Wally World and Micky D's will pick up the slack....and if not then their contribution to the workforce was not needed anyway.

we can tax those that got a raise more to make up for it.

Only 4.7% make the MINIMUM....key word in that staistic, work for Burger King 90 days and you may get a raise, oops there goes the minimum, but the nikle or dime you get above the minimum is still close enough to be affected by an increase in the minimum wage.

BTW the total hourly work force is 75 million workers 4.7% of that is 3,525,000 people making the very minimum, if you want to get a real picture then get the stats for everyone working for about $2 above the minimum, because most likely that's who will be affected.

I was just trying to get an understanding of WHO actually works for minimum wage.  I was totally ignorant to the fact other than my daughter did and she quickly got a raise.  So strictly minimum wage speaking, I was thinking if my daughter can do it (get a raise), who struggles to clean her own room, any able bodied person can do it.

Why do some people feel like its a business' responsibly to provide money to unskilled worker being paid more than what their job is worth?

Because the minimum wage is the lowest you are allowed to compensate someone for an hour of their life.

People say that every time, but surprising businesses adjust otherwise we'd never see small businesses older than the last minimum wage increase. The question we have to ask as a society is whether or not even the lowest skilled person in the workforce has a minimum worth for an hour of their life? The next question is whether that worth should keep pace with the standard cost of living. I'd argue yes to the first, but I'd also argue that any company that gives cost of living wage increases has already answered the second, not to mention anyone who has ever accepted a cost of living wage increase.

I was just trying to get an understanding of WHO actually works for minimum wage. I was totally ignorant to the fact other than my daughter did and she quickly got a raise. So strictly minimum wage speaking, I was thinking if my daughter can do it (get a raise), who struggles to clean her own room, any able bodied person can do it.

Sure, and most do, but the nickel and dime raises that they are allowed to give hardly make a difference.

$15,080 at $7.25 on a maxed out 40 hour week...$290 per week.

$16,120 at $7.75 on a maxed out 40 hour week...$310 per week....$20+ per week

Now, would I take $20 more per week? Sure, but that isn't going to change my financial situation measurably.

Which would happen. I stated earlier in the thread what would happen. Part time help for more of my employees.

but at least some others get a raise.....acceptable losses in the war against inequality

Never fear Wally World and Micky D's will pick up the slack....and if not then their contribution to the workforce was not needed anyway.

we can tax those that got a raise more to make up for it.

Well, you're no chipwich, that's for sure.   :P

Which would happen. I stated earlier in the thread what would happen. Part time help for more of my employees.

Yes, anecdotally that will happen in a few cases.  But overall across the economy, it will not have that effect.

That is because, in general, businesses are not in the business of giving money away by employing people they don't need or employing them for more hours than they needs.  If hypothetical businesses could have cut employees or their hours and increased their profit margin while still operating their businesses, they would have done so already.   

Considering most will still be living below the poverty line at that level they won't be paying much in taxes.

I thought we taxed most of what they spend?

of course their earned income credit will be reduced as well as more FICA taxes collected

Predicto....I don't really care,but I see it hurting those needing jobs and some employers.

you can raise it even more if it makes ya happy.

So it's hardly going to break the economy, right? So why worry about it? :)

(It actually would affect everyone between the current minimum wage and the proposed new minimum wage, but it would affect the lowest people the most, of course. I think that is more than 4.7 percent).

Actually, I assert it will affect a lot more than that, too.

Bob makes $11 an hour.

Minimum wage goes from $7 to $10.

Think his pay doesn't change?

I think it does. Because the market has already determined that Bob is worth 50% more than the minimum. And when the minimum changes, that will still be true.

His pay might not change all at once, the day the new minimum kicks in. Might take a while, to change. (And, maybe he'll have to put in some effort. Maybe change employers.). And maybe he won't end up, down the road, once again at 50% above minimum. Maybe he winds up at min plus 40%.

But there WILL be market pressures, pushing his pay in an upward direction. Because there already were.

----------

Similarly, when minimum goes from $7 to $10, do you suppose it will have NO effect on somebody who currently makes $14, double the minimum?

Annapolis/Edgewater,

The adults working in the fast food restaurants here are managers. Everyone working the cash registers are what I would refer to as "children" vs "adults" just so guys like ASF are clear.

The local McDonalds recently went all hispanic.

Unless you're talking about Chick-Fil-A, Ritas or Starbucks, which go out of their way to employ kids, I call shenanigans. Everyone else is hiring adults for the same jobs and have been for a long time. The same goes for Arnold, Severna Park, Pasadena, Glen Burnie, etc.....

I was just trying to get an understanding of WHO actually works for minimum wage.  I was totally ignorant to the fact other than my daughter did and she quickly got a raise.  So strictly minimum wage speaking, I was thinking if my daughter can do it (get a raise), who struggles to clean her own room, any able bodied person can do it.

Panera's a good company to work for, I've got one friend who is a GM, and one friend who left a pizza place I regularly order from to go there for more money. Their focus is more on the quality of their product than their profits...I know of 2 stores that give their leftovers to food banks at the end of the day. Good for your daughter...a quick raise is a sure sign she should go to college for HRM! :)

Part time you don't get benefits or paid time off. Both of which cost the company.

I was still in the MW part of "hours", and how valuable each hour of pay is...and those folks are very very rarely offered any benefits, either full or part time, that they don't have to partially pay for, which is impossible to do on a MW "income"(I have a hard time with that word, since none of it really comes "IN"). That's the reason they need Medicaid and other social services.

Archived