Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kanye West? (similar artists)

gortiz

Didn't want to high jack the Yeezus thread out there to talk about this guy ... hence the new thread. 

I guess, we can also talk about other guys you feel that are similar ... 

Any fans want to tell me why you like this guy? What is he like ?

I must say, even though my musical preferences are deeply rooted in classic rock but I do like classic hip hop all the way up to Biggie. But past that, it's kind of a crap shoot. I do like Eminem for his creativity. 

I have recently gotten into LCD Soundsystem (I'm slow) and really, really like him, which is my first foray into "electronic" music. 

I'm a guitar player and I am pretty open to music, so would I like Kanye? People are so passionate about him.  

I know today's state of rap/hip hop is real bad, real commercial, If i see another song "featuring" somebody I'll go postal. Beats sound extremely soft - what ever happened to this? Get chills every time I hear it ... 

If anybody has any questions about the Grateful Dead I'm your man!!  :P

I like Kanye pre-808s.  That was around the time his mom died, and to me, he's completely changed. 

My problem with Kanye is that he relies on telling people that he's a genius, rather than letting his work speak for itself.  There is often so much hype surrounding his projects that I feel like they are an easy letdown. 

Not Kanye, but if you want to listen to an EXCELLENT concept album from start to finish, give Kendrick Lamar's Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City a listen.  Should have won a grammy, but that's another debate for another day LOL. 

I like Kanye pre-808s.  That was around the time his mom died, and to me, he's completely changed. 

My problem with Kanye is that he relies on telling people that he's a genius, rather than letting his work speak for itself.  There is often so much hype surrounding his projects that I feel like they are an easy letdown. 

Not Kanye, but if you want to listen to an EXCELLENT concept album from start to finish, give Kendrick Lamar's Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City a listen.  Should have won a grammy, but that's another debate for another day LOL. 

what's 808?

So funny you bring up Lamar.  Been doing some research and 1. Is Illmatic the greatest rap album ever and 2. People are comparing Lamar's album to that? So i got to check it out.

Cool stuff ... 

what's 808?

So funny you bring up Lamar.  Been doing some research and 1. Is Illmatic the greatest rap album ever and 2. People are comparing Lamar's album to that? So i got to check it out.

Cool stuff ... 

808s and Heartbreak - Kanye's autotune album from 5 years ago (I think).  It was utter GARBAGE.  But he was going through a lot in his personal life. 

Illmatic is arguably the best rap album ever...while I think GKMC is going to stand the test of time, I just don't believe that it's even in the stratosphere of Illmatic. 

*Bound 2 (off of Yeezus) is probably one of the few cuts Kanye has had recently where I thought "wow, this sounds like the old him." 

Grateful Dead fan? Me too, which is why I'll always hate Kanye for ****ing over Phil Lesh at Bonnaroo in 2008.

His music is good, and I can look over most egos.  But not his.  I agree that his stuff before 808 was a lot better than his newer stuff, even Yeezus.

http://www.examiner.com/article/festivals-101-who-played-the-worst-bonnaroo-set-ever

It's infuriating. 

Edit: More descriptive article.

I'm a Kanye fan a little I guess. I think that his most recent albums are my favorite, post 808s. I thought that Yeezus was a pretty strong album to be honest.

I think Kendrick Lamar is good but I don't buy all the hype. I prefer Childish Gambino and have been listening to his album for a few weeks straight. Love it. One other new rap album that I was into for a while was Pusha T's album. Great album there.

Since you also mentioned electronic music, I'll say that I've gotten int that recently as well. I really like that album by Foster the People and love music by a little known band called Miike Snow. Definitely give Miike Snow a listen.

So you were never that impressed by his "older" stuff? 

LOVE the old College Drop out Kanye.  He's become such an arrogant d-bag, ugh.  And he tries too hard with a lot of his new stuff, that one album he put out last year was weird as hell.  A few decent tracks, but for the most part it was meh.

That Childish Gambino "Because The Internet" cranks way hard.

If you want an interesting blend of "talking about something" like early Kanye and "strong beats" like Kanye today, you should check out "The Gifted" by Wale. The fact he wasn't even nominated for a grammy this year for that album pisses me off

"The Gifted" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "Yeezus"

It seemed like around 08, that is when mainstream rap really like fell down. That was around the time American Gangster, Tha Carter 3, and Graduation came out.

I loved Graduation. That album was nice. I honestly can't tell you how 808 & Heartbreak was because when it came out, that is around the time I went pretty much exclusive to Christian rap.

Kind of ironic that when Mainstream rap fell down, Christian Rap stepped their game up in a huge way. Don't get me wrong, there are some mainstream rappers that could flow that I like, Kendrick Lamar, Big Krit, Jay Electronica, my man Childish Gambino I even like Drake a little bit. Macklemore ain't that bad to me either. But for the most part, majority of the rappers out now are lame, and a good chunk of them can't hang with the top Christian Rappers...

It's just cool to hate Kanye now imo... 

whatever.

Honestly, Kanye was a backpack Hipstery rapper up until Graduation. 

From Graduation on, he wanted his music to be more about "epic" and "grand" so the subject matter changed and the production went up tenfold.

Honestly, there is no artist like him.

Yeezus has grown on me a bit but MBDTF is a classic. Just an epic album overall. 

If you just want hip-hop and don't like all the extra stuff, stick to everything before Graduation. But if you like a little bit of everything, you can't go wrong with any of his albums. How anyone can hate 808s (other than it not being a rap album) is beyond me. 

BTW, I just went through Late Registration again and goddamn is that thing amazing.

Archived