Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The NFL is Coming out in Support of the possibility of using Medicinal Marijuana

posse87

Regardless of your stance on legalized marijuana, how stupid is this as an excuse for the NFL to start allowing it?  Initially, it was for patients on chemotherapy, to help them keep food down and deal with the pain.  

Who in the NFL is on chemotherapy or has trouble keeping food down?  That's the dumbest excuse I've ever heard.  Stop being a complete ***** Pete, just say what you want to say.  Don't act like this is really a medical issue for NFL players.

Also, the title of your thread should be changed, it's not the title of that article, and it's not what's actually happening.  This is just PETE CARROLL coming out in support of medicinal marijuana use in the NFL, NOT the NFL coming out with that opinion.  That's it.

Rather have players smoking weed then taking perscription painkillers and some of the other stuff the NFL doesn't talk about these players doing to tune out the amount of damage they're doing to their bodies every week (or at least have the option).

Although the OP article doesn't have The Commish's comments on the topic, I don't know if "effects for concussion" symptoms being the reason you allow this. I've heard of some players vomitting because of head tramua, but feel there's a bigger trend going on here with states like even texas considering decriminalizing simple possession.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10342985/roger-goodell-says-nfl-consider-use-medicinal-marijuana-concussion-treatment

DC is trying to pass a law change that would switch simple possession mandatory minimum sentencing from 6 months / $1000 fine to just a $25 fine. This isn't adderall, steroids, or even cocaine.

Regardless of your stance on legalized marijuana, how stupid is this as an excuse for the NFL to start allowing it?  Initially, it was for patients on chemotherapy, to help them keep food down and deal with the pain.  

Who in the NFL is on chemotherapy or has trouble keeping food down?  That's the dumbest excuse I've ever heard.  Stop being a complete ***** Pete, just say what you want to say.  Don't act like this is really a medical issue for NFL players.

Also, the title of your thread should be changed, it's not the title of that article, and it's not what's actually happening.  This is just PETE CARROLL coming out in support of medicinal marijuana use in the NFL, NOT the NFL coming out with that opinion.  That's it.

Not really sure why you feel this way....there are many more uses for medicinal marijuana than chemotherapy.  Goodell was also quoted in the article as open to adopting the policy.  He wasn't suggesting for the league to be stoned for practice or on Sundays. 

Real sports on HBO had a great segment on this

Pain killers and opiates are FAR worse then MJ. And we know how many players have been hooked on MJ

In 2014 I have no idea how people still fall for old debunked myths about MJ. The pain relief without opiates will have a huge impact on the health of players

The reality is that it is safer and healthier than alcohol.  If players want to drink themselves out of the league that is there business. If marijuana is legalized, there is no duty for the league to protect the players from themselves. They are grown adults and either it would Dull their competitive advantage or not, and they are big enough boys to recognize that.

Not really sure why you feel this way....there are many more uses for medicinal marijuana than chemotherapy.  Goodell was also quoted in the article as open to adopting the policy.  He wasn't suggesting for the league to be stoned for practice or on Sundays. 

I know that it's not the only thing it's good for, but it was the reason it was initially passed into law.  It was used for patients in chemotherapy for cancer, aids, leukemia, etc.  It wasn't initially meant for other conditions.  I don't really even have a problem with it being used over those other things.

My only point was, Pete Carroll is using that as an excuse for trying to get the NFL to pass it, when in reality, he just supports legalized marijuana.  I thought we were passed the point as a community where we needed to pretend the only reason people were going to use it was for "medical reasons".  Anyone in California can get a "prescription".  All you have to do is tell your doctor you're having bad headaches, pain medication isn't helping, and you'd like to try marijuana.  At that point, it's a legal drug, so why not write the prescription, it's not hurting anything.

I guess I didn't make that clear, but that was what I meant.

Real sports on HBO had a great segment on this

Pain killers and opiates are FAR worse then MJ. And we know how many players have been hooked on MJ….The pain relief without opiates will have a huge impact on the health of players

I'm a hugely against using pain relievers for bumps and bruises, and I agree 100% that opiates are one of the worst things you can put into your body.  However, I think what's missed by the larger public is the negative effects of a type of pain medication called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs.  Those are drugs like Ibuprofen, advil, naproxin, etc.

It's pretty entrusting stuff.  Here's a link to an Oxford report, if anyone is interested:

http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/painpag/nsae/nsae.html

The negative of marijuana use is that, even a one time use has been linked to increases in prostate cancer, but studies linking it to lung cancer have been mixed.  Some have reported increased risk with chronic use, others have reported no increase when used infrequently.

Yeah, if recent history is any indication, the OP is gonna get a temp ban unless he changes the title of the thread.

He's probably too busy self-medicating to change it. I kid, I kid.

I just find it interesting how the two sides of this issue always try to throw out words like "debunked myths" etc. The side that is gung ho on legalizing it seems hell-bent on believing any report, regardless of where the information is coming from or how it is obtained, while immediately calling any report that points out the negatives of MJ a fraud or, in this case, a "myth."

One of my best friend's wife is a doctor who does clinical and laboratory research on different medications. Several months ago, the topic of MJ came up when we were all hanging out, and, as someone I know and trust, she said that most of the pro-legal arguments are just false or over-generalizations. She laughed for a good while at the notion that alcohol is worse than MJ.

Well, guess what, I am a prominent physician in Atlanta and you guys sound ridiculous.  There are many who don't use Marijuana that agree it should be legal, but there is no convincing people of anything in life.  It is gonna happen and this isn't an over generalization!

Yeah, if recent history is any indication, the OP is gonna get a temp ban unless he changes the title of the thread.

How is the title breaking a rule?  The Comish has also come out in support of the idea.

I watched a Bryant Gumbel special on medical marijuana use by athletes. From personal experience, I've seen the horrors that opiates can do. These guys live in constant pain and are prescribed opiates that are sometimes stronger than heroin. It's not something you can just decide to stop taking one day. If you take them for long enough you build a physical dependence to where you will feel violently sick if you don't get opiates in your system. I'm not saying that they don't do any good because they definitely do. What I am saying is that I think it would be a lot safer and just as effective for players that have the need to use medical marijuana. I've never seen someone commit an armed robbery because they ran out of weed, but it certainly happens with prescription drugs.

Well, guess what, I am a prominent physician in Atlanta and you guys sound ridiculous.  There are many who don't use Marijuana that agree it should be legal, but there is no convincing people of anything in life.  It is gonna happen and this isn't an over generalization!

How is the title breaking a rule?  The Comish has also come out in support of the idea.

If you are a prominent physician in Atlanta and can't see how your title breaks the rules in more than just one way, I hope to goodness I never need to be seen by a physician in Atlanta.

Archived