Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predict what positions (not necessarily players) we will draft.

Riggo-toni

Ok, not the "I'm the new Mel Kiper" thread. Essentially, try and prognosticate which positions we will hit with our 6 picks. Extra if you want to align the position with a particular round, though that level of divination is optional. Personally I'm a strong advocate of BPA rather than position, but clearly team needs (not to mention coach~GM's confidence in selecting certain positions over others) play a role when multiple players grade out the same. So...

2nd round will be an OG

3rd will be a DB, probably a FS

4th - LB Likely an ILB, maybe even a college SS to convert (like Urlacher was)

5-7. Another OL, a RB, and....a QB. No telling which round for which, but last year's RB crop was a bust, and typical RB lifetime productivity is 3-4 years. We need a little insurance on AlMo. Yes, we will pick a QB project in the late rounds. Grossman was Kyle's babe, and will be gone. 3rd stringers are normally projects on their rookie contracts. RG3 and KC are set as 1 and 2. I realize this team has more holes to fill than a Ukrainian massage parlor, but few late round picks make much of an impact their rookie year anyways. Doesn't make sense to pay an over 30 guy with a low ceiling over $1m when he can be replaced by a 300k rookie who might be the next Marc Bulger or Brad Johnson.

Its difficult to do this, because eventually it will depend on what player is on the board at our turn, but for fun I will look it strategically. If I was in charge, either will take all O or D this year and next the other. Obviously, will attend via FAs the one not selected for 2014. Prefer to go O with draft this year in this order: RT, G, G, C, WR & TE. Next: S, ILB, CB, DL, S, CB & DL. This way we will match with our already young talent for a SB run hopefully in 3 years.

^ I agree and moreover there are so many needs with regard to depth alone that BPA is probably the way to go across the board.  Obviously if the team addresses a couple of positions in FA then you may shy away from those positions in the early to mid rounds.  I'm of the belief that this team has some talent at key spots (mostly on the offensive side of the ball), but largely it's lacking in a bunch of areas due to the salary cap debacle.  

If I had to prioritize I'd say DB (we're super thin there and Rambo and Thomas aren't starters IMO), OL (RT and/or RG), WR (need a compliment to play alongside Pierre) , LB (ILB before OLB if they feel Keenan Robinson isn't the guy to replace London) , DL (need more depth there for rotation's sake), Punter (high priority IMO and we need to get a really good one b/c things aren't going to come together in a new offense overnight.  

I hope we draft strictly OL and front 7, with possibly a WR.  If we had an offer we couldn't refuse in terms of BPA, I'd say go for it, but I believe we need to shore up OL and front 7 first.  I know a lot of people are saying DBs, but we drafted heavily in that area last year, and I believe in the Panthers / '07 Giants philosophy: if you have a solid front 7, you don't need stars in the secondary, just smart, disciplined players. 

For o-line, we need to make the transition to Gruden's power blocking scheme.  OG is a priority, and we also could use starting caliber C and OT as well.  Since we are pretty set with offensive skill positions (QB, RB, TE, #1a WR), hopefully we build in the trenches.  While this draft is deep with big, tall WRs (maybe Allen Robinson / Kelvin Benjamin in the 2nd), I would like to see us go OG (Gabe Jackson, C. Richardson or Su'a-Filo) in the 2nd.

I'm hoping Skov is there for us in the 3rd, but he might be gone.  Smallwood or C. Jones could be there so I'd like to see ILB in the 3rd.

In the 4h, (assuming we went OG in the 2nd) I think there will be a quality WR (Richardson / Matthews / Coleman / Abbrederis) for us.  While each of those names is projected to go earlier, the WR class is deep, and one of them has to drop.

In the 5th, best available OT (Billy Turner?)

In the 6th, a quality C (Bodine? or Tyler Larsen)

7th - best available DL (Beau Allen?)

In FA I hope we go for C, NT, FS ( I'm sure I don't need to say which C I want. LOL )

The positions I hope we address are these in order of what we have as draft choices as of now.

RT

WR

ILB

NT

FS

P ( Pat O'Donnel I hope )

We should be able to pick up some real quality players in the UFA

OLB, ILB, WR, OG, TE, S, CB

I hope our first 3 picks are a WR, CB, and FS, and I don't care so much which order (though I wouldn't mind seeing the kid from Lindenwood come in at CB, Pierre Desir 6'2" and shut down everyone at the Senior Bowl by all accounts).

After that, I think it's mostly just BPA so whatever is available, maybe another WR, OL, DL, whatever.

It would very hard to predict this pre free agency

I do agree, after we take care (or not) of our free agents, and after who we will sign in free agency, we will have a better chance to guess the positions that will be adressed in the upcoming draft.

2nd - T/DE (depending on who falls to us), 3rd - ILB/WR, 4th - WR/ILB, 5th - O/D line, 6th - O/D line, 7th - punter/TE

UDFA - TE/punter/WR/corner/linemen

FA messes with this royally. Good thread/topic to revisit just before the draft (ie. after the majority of FA moves).

Others have already said that this is very difficult to do this early but I'll give it a shot for fun.

I'm guessing a WR in the 2nd and all defense in the later rounds.  Maybe a punter in there somewhere.  I think we'll address the OL and other areas in FA.  But I think the defense is in the worst shape and that is where they will focus the bulk of their attention.

Trent Williams is the only OL we have drafted in our first pick in over 10 years. It is high time that we address the OL specifically RT through the draft this time. We have enough of a pool of talent to address the rest of the interior OL with what we have already on the roster.

If we really want to have RG3 as our franchise quarterback than we need to protect him ASAP. It would be better to find the solution in the draft than to spend too much on someone that would only be a stopgap.

With that said if we can afford a certain C in FA I would not be opposed to that.

I'm going to assume that we use free agency to get a starting right tackle (Collins) and a veteran or two in the defensive backfield.  I'd say we go BPA at the following positions, but not necessarily in this order:  WR (slot and #2), ILB, DE, G/C, TE.  I'd love to get K. Benjamin in the 2nd. and Scov or Borland in the 3rd..  R. Herron intrigues me as a late round slot receiver.   

Archived