Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

London Fletcher- Voted one of most respected in NFL by peers

NAC386

He'd be even more respected, had he retired last year.

Jesus, you can't be serious ...here? now? You root for the bad guy in movies don't you?  :mellow:  Why bother man? 

Even if Fletcher was subpar, which he was far from, he did something only a few can do ... he was always, always, always, available. That's huge. 

Just like Mike Zimmer said to Maleluga during that first Hard Knocks, if you are hurt, you are dead, you are nothing. 

I'm hoping despite fans that are totally unappreciative, he calls the Skins his team. 

He'd be even more respected, had he retired last year.

Come on man, that's pretty low and obviously not true.  Fletcher lost NO respect by playing this year, which is proven by the fact that he was voted one of the most respected players in the NFL by other NFL players THIS year.  Nobody retires in their prime that's not named Barry Sanders.

Props to the man.

Not just for longevity and dependability. (Although those aren't exactly trivial things.) But for character and leadership, as well.

Pretty much the icon for "work ethic".

Assume most everybody on thus board would rather forget our opening game against Philly, and their super fast, super secret, revolutionary fast paced offense. But I remember one stat being mentioned from that game.

London Fletcher played every single defensive snap.

Remember another story about the guy. It was a few years back. The Skins were in one of their traditional "win the last sux games and we're in the playoffs" phases. The team had just won a division game, in the opponents stadium. Big win. Rivalry game. In their house. Underdogs.

And the article mentioned that, as the team bus was leaving the stadium parking lot, Fletch asked the coaches if the bus's TVs had any film about our next opponents.

Jesus, you can't be serious ...here? now? You root for the bad guy in movies don't you?  :mellow:  Why bother man? 

Even if Fletcher was subpar, which he was far from, he did something only a few can do ... he was always, always, always, available. That's huge. 

Just like Mike Zimmer said to Maleluga during that first Hard Knocks, if you are hurt, you are dead, you are nothing. 

I'm hoping despite fans that are totally unappreciative, he calls the Skins his team. 

Come on man, that's pretty low and obviously not true.  Fletcher lost NO respect by playing this year, which is proven by the fact that he was voted one of the most respected players in the NFL by other NFL players THIS year.  Nobody retires in their prime that's not named Barry Sanders.

Not sure what my movie interests have to do with anything. I stated my opinion, and one I am perfectly fine with. He was horrible this year, HORRIBLE. There were also parts of last season he was a liability.

But ease up on the dramatics, I didn't kick a puppy and this isn't his funeral.

Not sure what my movie interests have to do with anything. I stated my opinion, and one I am perfectly fine with. He was horrible this year, HORRIBLE. There were also parts of last season he was a liability.

But ease up on the dramatics, I didn't kick a puppy and this isn't his funeral.

The mistake you made is in thinking that the respect of Fletcher's peers is based solely on productivity. They respect more than his stats, they respect the type of player he is, the type of teammate he is (he's been on three different teams, afterall), the type of opponent he is (the best QBs in the league know just how much London Fletcher has effected their game plans), the type of leader he is (they witness it every Sunday), and the type of person he is.

The other mistake you made is in thinking that one average season (production-wise) would wipe out 15 years of insanely productive football in the minds of NFL players--players who know just how hard it is to be as productive as Fletcher for even one season, nonetheless for 15 stinkin' years.

So basically the main mistake you made is in putting very little thought into your post and opinion, seemingly way more interested in quickly tossing out an insult towards a player who's career proves he deserves more respect than that.

The mistake you made is in thinking that the respect of Fletcher's peers is based solely on productivity. They respect more than his stats, they respect the type of player he is, the type of teammate he is (he's been on three different teams, afterall), the type of opponent he is (the best QBs in the league know just how much London Fletcher has effected their game plans), the type of leader he is (they witness it every Sunday), and the type of person he is.

The other mistake you made is in thinking that one average season (production-wise) would wipe out 15 years of insanely productive football in the minds of NFL players--players who know just how hard it is to be as productive as Fletcher for even one season, nonetheless for 15 stinkin' years.

So basically the main mistake you made is in putting very little thought into your post and opinion, seemingly way more interested in quickly tossing out an insult towards a player who's career proves he deserves more respect than that.

I didn't make any mistake, I have a different view than you or anyone else that doesn't share the same as mine. You can go on and repeat how you think I "made a mistake" over and over, but made none.

Playing past the point where you become a liability is selfish to me. I don't discredit him being a "good guy" or anything else, I even would be happy to hear he got some sort of coaching gig with our team.

The last 2 years I saw him decline, miss more tackles, get beaten in coverage and just be a liability beyond his leadership had value.

I didn't make any mistake, I have a different view than you or anyone else that doesn't share the same as mine. You can go on and repeat how you think I "made a mistake" over and over, but made none.

Playing past the point where you become a liability is selfish to me. I don't discredit him being a "good guy" or anything else, I even would be happy to hear he got some sort of coaching gig with our team.

The last 2 years I saw him decline, miss more tackles, get beaten in coverage and just be a liability beyond his leadership had value.

Ever hear the phrase "there is a time and place for everything"? You putting the man down for one year of the 15 he put in is neither the "time" nor the "place."

I know we've been a bad team for years and it's frustrating to some fans, but a constant birrage of negativity is bad for the site and I think some of you need to take a step back to assess if it's in your best interests to keep posting nothing but negativity.

It's okay to be an ass or a hole but don't put the two together :)

Ever hear the phrase "there is a time and place for everything"? You putting the man down for one year of the 15 he put in is neither the "time" nor the "place."

I know we've been a bad team for years and it's frustrating to some fans, but a constant birrage of negativity is bad for the site and I think some of you need to take a step back to assess if it's in your best interests to keep posting nothing but negativity.

It's not a communist site. I made a post and it wasn't of the same opinion as others. Maybe if so much negativity on the foums is bothering you, you should take your own advice.

It's not a communist site. I made a post and it wasn't of the same opinion as others. Maybe if so much negativity on the foums is bothering you, you should take your own advice.

True.  This is America and as long as you remain within the rules, you can post any opinion you want.  But I think you failed to read the first paragraph of my post.  Sometimes you have to bite your tongue and move on.  It's apparent that I'm not the only one in this thread that feels your post was not the time or place.  As far as it bothering me?  I'm pretty even keeled about things.  I'm not the one posting negativity, so I'm not sure why I should take a step back.

I've never told anyone posting on the site that they don't have a right to a differing opinion.  I have a differring opionion on things in here and I know its impossible for everyone to agree on everything, but I choose which battles to fight.  I too, like you, thought London had a bad year and he probably hung on one year too long, but it was never my intent to post it in here as it really didn't fit the criteria of the thread.

There are many other threads in which I, you or others could complain about London in.  This wasn't one of them.

Archived