Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Redskins reunion for Doug Williams seems likely

88Comrade2000

Williams worked for Redskins General Manager Bruce Allen in the Buccaneers front office previously, and has the perfect Redskins background (as Super Bowl XXII MVP).

Was he a scout for the Bucs? 

Per JLC (Dec 31)

Would Williams make sense as an assistant GM or some such thing? Seems hardly out of the question to me. The Skins will be fully focused on getting a coaching staff together, but Williams would make some sense on many levels, he is very highly thought of by commissioner Roger Goodell and inside the league office, he could help mentor Robert Griffin III somewhat if need be (the two have communicated a few times in the past and have some connection and mutual admiration), and would clearly get a vote of support from former Redskins coach Joe Gibbs, who retains a strong connection with owner Dan Snyder.

Take it with a grain of salt, but I hope it happens.

On his interview with Doc Walker, he mentioned how much RG3 looked up to him and how RG3 said he'd call for advice and stuff. I thought that was great to hear because we knew that RG3 wasn't taking advice from McNabb. The question was if he was getting any advice, particularly from people who have walked a similar path as the one he's on right now. Good to hear he's talking with DW.

Now, in regards to DW (the QB, not the TE), from what I hear he's not too big a Skins fan. Maybe things have smoothed over since 1999 but I distinctly remember him having some negative words for how the Skins handled him post XXII. But I guess that's water under the bridge now.

On his interview with Doc Walker, he mentioned how much RG3 looked up to him and how RG3 said he'd call for advice and stuff. I thought that was great to hear because we knew that RG3 wasn't taking advice from McNabb. The question was if he was getting any advice, particularly from people who have walked a similar path as the one he's on right now. Good to hear he's talking with DW.

Now, in regards to DW (the QB, not the TE), from what I hear he's not too big a Skins fan. Maybe things have smoothed over since 1999 but I distinctly remember him having some negative words for how the Skins handled him post XXII. But I guess that's water under the bridge now.

Money may be the cure-all.  If he does have a big impact on Griffin and our FO in general, then I'd say it's well spent.

Let's put nostalgia aside and look at his post-playing days credentials...

- High school head coach and AD, Pointe Coupee Central High School, La Barre, LA, 1991

- Head coach, Northeast High School, Zachary, LA (his hometown), 1993 (13-1 record, State semi-finals)

- Running backs coach, Navy, 1994

- Scout for Jacksonville Jaguars, 1995-96

- Offensive Coordinator Scottish Claymores, World League of American Football 1995

- Head coach, Morehouse College, 1997

- Head coach, Grambling State, 1998-2003 (replacing legendary Eddie Robinson) - 3 Southwestern Athletic conference titles in a row.

- Tampa Bay Buccaneers, personnel executive, 2004-2008

- Bucs' Director of professional scouting, 2009

- GM, Virginia Destroyers, United Football League, 2010

- Returned as head coach at Grambling, 2011 until he was fired on September 11, 2013.

Decent breadth of coaching and executive experience but, aside from his stint at Grambling, it seems like he really bounced around after very short stints a various positions.  Don't know if that should raise red flags or not.

Edit: He had a 5 year run with the Bucs, which is a fairly long tenure in NFL terms... So take the last sentence above with a grain of salt.

I honestly haven't followed Doug W. too much since he left the Pros. I know he coached Grambling for awhile but what's he done since then?  What would he bring to the front office professionally speaking or is it an Alumni type thing ? Doug is a hero to me so I'm not "hating" just curious.

He coached a year at Morehouse in 1997.

Then was at Grambling from 1998 - 2003.

Was a Bucks Scout from 2004 - 2010

UFL team GM in 2011

Grambling Head Coach from 2011 - 2013

Decent breath of coaching and executive experience but, aside from his stint at Grambling, it seems like he really bounced around after very short stints a various positions.  Don't know if that should raise red flags or not.

Edit: He had a 5 year run with the Bucs, which is a fairly long tenure in NFL terms... So take the last sentence above with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't put the experience at Grambling aside either. I mean, he was a good coach, especially in the first go round. The second o round, where he was dismissed was really due to a lot of things at the university. His coaching record wasn't going well in the second stint there, but it was because of the overall problems at the univesity. SO much so that the students protested when he was fired. I mean PROTESTED . The fact that he has experience as a player, coach and scout and can connect with his players is a positive that I would definitely want him in our front office.

That's actually not true. I have met him a few times and he has nothing but good to things to say about the organization and his time here (Autographed my Redskins SB XXII DVD with his number and SB MVP!, then he asked to sign my 70 Greatest Redskins hat). He was upset at Gibbs for releasing him for a while but as time has gone by he has grown to see that was actually the right thing to do.

He is a larger than life individual who has a lot of respect in all football circles. He is very smart and understands NFL game both on and off the field. Having Doug Williams in the Redskins organization is about as good a news as I can see receiving. He will be a huge help not only to RGIII but all the young guys.

I hope this is true!!!

That's actually not true. I have met him a few times and he has nothing but good to things to say about the organization and his time here (Autographed my Redskins SB XXII DVD with his number and SB MVP!, then he asked to sign my 70 Greatest Redskins hat). He was upset at Gibbs for releasing him for a while but as time has gone by he has grown to see that was actually the right thing to do.

He is a larger than life individual who has a lot of respect in all football circles. He is very smart and understands NFL game both on and off the field. Having Doug Williams in the Redskins organization is about as good a news as I can see receiving. He will be a huge help not only to RGIII but all the young guys.

I hope this is true!!!

All I can say is we have different experiences. I won't say he hasn't changed his opinion of the Skins but knowing students who went to Morehouse and Grambling and have had this conversation with him about growing up Skins fans, and been told that he wasn't a fan.

All I can say is we have different experiences. I won't say he hasn't changed his opinion of the Skins but knowing students who went to Morehouse and Grambling and have had this conversation with him about growing up Skins fans, and been told that he wasn't a fan.

I obviously can't say they are wrong as I was not there. I can only go by my interactions with him and some recent interviews. Honesty, both could easily be true. When they talked to him he was still a bit raw. By the time I talked to him he had mellowed. Time does that.

Either way, him coming back would be an indication to me he has forgiven and moved on. My bigger point is that his presence would be a very positive thing for the team.

Despite the epic spending sprees on free agency, one (of many) irritating aspects of the Snyder years has been an undersized scouting dept vis a vis other teams. I'm all for expanding that area of the FO.

Unfortunately, sentimentality aside, putting the band back together from the Bruce Allen Era Bucs is right up there with a Spice Girls reunion.

Archived