Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 MLB Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

Honestly, with our rotation in shambles, I'd be surprised if we won the East this year.

Heyward is a better player than Hyper.

Not at 19. And not through their first two seasons. Heyward has hit his ceiling. Harper hasn't.

And neither should ever be mentioned in the same sentence as Trout.

*end discussion*

Oh that will never happen. Harper will forever be compared

Fredd-ie! Fredd-ie! Fredd-ie!

And yet his awesomeness is not quite as impressive as BJ's suckitude

Your updated BJ Upton stats for the season so far:

0-10.  6 SO.  0 BB.

bleh.

When do we get to officially admit that FA signing was a terrible mistake?

And yet his awesomeness is not quite as impressive as BJ's suckitude

Your updated BJ Upton stats for the season so far:

0-10.  6 SO.  0 BB.

bleh.

When do we get to officially admit that FA signing was a terrible mistake?

Any time you want. I've always thought BJ Upton was horrid.

How do you figure Heyward has hit his ceiling? Lol

2012 is about  as healthy and good as he's going to get. He' isn't a .300 hitter. He won't get a substantial increase in power. He isn't going to get faster. He strikes out too much and is too vulnerable to left handed pitching. Heyward is in his prime. Hence why the Braves are unable to lock him up this offseason.

2012 is about as healthy and good as he's going to get. He' isn't a .300 hitter. He won't get a substantial increase in power. He isn't going to get faster. He strikes out too much and is too vulnerable to left handed pitching. Heyward is in his prime. Hence why the Braves are unable to lock him up this offseason.

Ok, Nostradamus, w/e you say. Can I get the winning Powerball numbers tonight?

Funny, one could say the same things about Hyper, if they used the same logic you did.

As to Heyward's power numbers: you do realize he's played his entire career in a pitchers park, right? And look up the Braves' record since inserting him into the lead off spot.

Ok, Nostradamus, w/e you say. Can I get the winning Powerball numbers tonight?

Funny, one could say the same things about Hyper, if they used the same logic you did.

As to Heyward's power numbers: you do realize he's played his entire career in a pitchers park, right? And look up the Braves' record since inserting him into the lead off spot.

And? His performance has nothing to do with the Braves record, as we're talking about his individual performance. You mean you to tell me that a team does well when their best hitter is in the lineup? No way.

He has a whopping 33 games hitting leadoff. How about we wait a while before declaring it anything of note.

Heyward's OPS splits

Home: .786

Away: .806

Yep, that so called "pitcher's park" is a real difference maker.

This is now his 5th season in the majors. He has shown himself to be a high .700/low .800s OPS hitter.

This is Harper's third season. At this point, Heyward was finally realizing his potential and putting up a career year. So yea, there's a big difference between the two. Harper reached the majors before Heyward did. He outproduced Heyward in his first two seasons.

Let's put it this way, if the last two seasons are as good as Harper is going to get, then he's pretty much a huge bust.  In fact, if over the next 5-8 seasons, Harper produces at the level Heyward did in 2012, it will be a mild disappointment.

And? His performance has nothing to do with the Braves record, as we're talking about his individual performance. You mean you to tell me that a team does well when their best hitter is in the lineup? No way.

He has a whopping 33 games hitting leadoff. How about we wait a while before declaring it anything of note.

Heyward's OPS splits

Home: .786

Away: .806

Yep, that so called "pitcher's park" is a real difference maker.

This is now his 5th season in the majors. He has shown himself to be a high .700/low .800s OPS hitter.

This is Harper's third season. At this point, Heyward was finally realizing his potential and putting up a career year. So yea, there's a big difference between the two. Harper reached the majors before Heyward did. He outproduced Heyward in his first two seasons.

Let's put it this way, if the last two seasons are as good as Harper is going to get, then he's pretty much a huge bust. In fact, if over the next 5-8 seasons, Harper produces at the level Heyward did in 2012, it will be a mild disappointment.

So it's just a coincidence that the Braves have been really good since Heyward has hit lead off and struggled when he went down with the jaw injury?

And Heyward isn't our best hitter, dude. That's laughable that you think that. Remember Freddie Freeman? The guy that Nats fans were telling me wouldn't be as good as Danny Espinosa? How's that working out?

And a page or two back I posted Heyward's numbers in the two full seasons he was healthy. Might want to take another gander.

Yes, it happens a lot. Especially since it's been all of 33 games. And no, it's not coincidence that a team struggles when their best hitter is out of the lineup.Freeman has one year OPSing over .800. At first base no less. Heyward is the Braves best and most consistent hitter. I don't know how you can brag about the Braves' record with Heyward in  the lineup and then try to tell me that Heyward isn't the best hitter on the team. But okay, it's not like Braves fans are known for their intelligence . . .

And do you really want to compare healthy Heyward with healthy Harper? Because it's not even a fair contest. Harper was OPSing over 1.000 before his injury. It's not even close, man. Same in September of 2012 when he finally recovered from his back injury.

No one is saying Heyward isn't good. But he is not elite, and will never be elite in Atlanta. 6 WAR is nothing to shake your head at and he is a consistent 4.5-5.5 WAR player when he's healthy.

And Heyward isn't our best hitter, dude. That's laughable that you think that. Remember Freddie Freeman? The guy that Nats fans were telling me wouldn't be as good as Danny Espinosa? How's that working out?

Not to jump into your convo, but isn't Freeman a 1st basemen? Kinda hard to compare a 2nd basemen whose best asset is defense to a 1st basemen. 

Not to jump into your convo, but isn't Freeman a 1st basemen? Kinda hard to compare a 2nd basemen whose best asset is defense to a 1st basemen.

tt was an old conversation about which guy was more deserving of ROY. Slate knows what I was referring to. If not, I would be happy to refresh his memory :).

Yes, it happens a lot. Especially since it's been all of 33 games. And no, it's not coincidence that a team struggles when their best hitter is out of the lineup.Freeman has one year OPSing over .800. At first base no less. Heyward is the Braves best and most consistent hitter. I don't know how you can brag about the Braves' record with Heyward in the lineup and then try to tell me that Heyward isn't the best hitter on the team. But okay, it's not like Braves fans are known for their intelligence . . .

And do you really want to compare healthy Heyward with healthy Harper? Because it's not even a fair contest. Harper was OPSing over 1.000 before his injury. It's not even close, man. Same in September of 2012 when he finally recovered from his back injury.

No one is saying Heyward isn't good. But he is not elite, and will never be elite in Atlanta. 6 WAR is nothing to shake your head at and he is a consistent 4.5-5.5 WAR player when he's healthy.

Oh, here we go with the insults again, a sure sign you're losing a debate.

Seriously, if you don't know that Freeman is our best hitter, there's no point in continuing the conversation.

Oh, here we go with the insults again, a sure sign you're losing a debate.

Seriously, if you don't know that Freeman is our best hitter, there's no point in continuing the conversation.

Clearly, as you just said Heyward was your best hitter. That whole, the Braves record in the last 162 games with Jason Heyward in the lineup . . . "

Heyward is the Braves best hitter. Freeman has one whole season of living up to his potential.

Clearly, as you just said Heyward was your best hitter. That whole, the Braves record in the last 162 games with Jason Heyward in the lineup . . . "

Heyward is the Braves best hitter. Freeman has one whole season of living up to his potential.

Dude, Heyward isn't our best hitter. And he hasn't hit lead off for a full season. You are embarrassing yourself. lol

Dude, Heyward isn't our best hitter. And he hasn't hit lead off for a full season. You are embarrassing yourself. lol

lol, you're the one embarrassing yourself.

What's the Braves record without Freddie Freeman? Without Heyward?

lol, you're the one embarrassing yourself.

What's the Braves record without Freddie Freeman? Without Heyward?

Dude, it's common knowledge that Freeman is the Braves' best hitter. The fact that the Braves have had great success with Heyward at the top of the order doesn't change that.

I'll clue you in on something else: usually a team's best hitter hits in the third slot. Remember that Chipper Jones guy? Take a guess where he hit in the order.

Stick to the Nats, bro.

Archived