Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 MLB Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

I just read that my Giants offered Panda (Pablo Sandoval) a 3 yr $40mil deal and he turned it down because he's looking for a 5yr $90mil deal.

Personally, I thought $13+mil a year was insane for an extremely overweight but talented 3B.

$18mil ayear? No thanks.

You mean generational talent Bryce Harper and generational talent Stephen Strasburg aren't worth that???

Ludicris.

:lol:

Pablo wants the five years. He probably would have settled for 5 years, 75-80 million.

Even when he's fat, he can still hit.

Pablo wants the five years. He probably would have settled for 5 years, 75-80 million.

Even when he's fat, he can still hit.

He wanted the same deal the Giants gave Captain Underpants (Hunter Pence). Except Panda had 1/2 as many HRs, less RBI's , less runs scored, 22 less SB's, and a lower BA and SLG % than Pence did last year.

Insane. 

He wanted the same deal the Giants gave Captain Underpants (Hunter Pence). Except Panda had 1/2 as many HRs, less RBI's , less runs scored, 22 less SB's, and a lower BA and SLG % than Pence did last year.

Insane. 

You're putting a lot of stock in 2013 and disregarding Pence's 2012 campaign. Also, Pence is three years older. Sandoval has a higher career OPS. And I think the Giants over paid for Pence. They panicked when they realized they didn't have anyone so they re-signed him to a big deal.

Sandoval is in his prime. He also plays a position where the bat is valued more and the defense is more difficult. Pablo can do both pretty well. He has a higher WAR over the last three seasons than Ryan Zimmerman. He's tied with Aramis Ramirez. In short, he's worth the 5 year deal IF they put in a weight requirement. 2009 and 2011 were his best seasons and he came in to ST in shape both of those years. And to be perfectly honest, his bat carries at first base, so if he gets to heavy, he can always go be Prince Fielder.

And 5/90 for a .800+ OPS first baseman with no arbitration years left is a steal.

Okay I'm really confused.

Why are people still picking the Nats for the WS? Their staff is great I get that but their offense is just as unimpressive as last season

Be honest, you watched some of the game today on ESPN and came to this conclusion...lol

Be honest, you watched some of the game today on ESPN and came to this conclusion...

I've watched about 3 innings of ST all month including the Yankees lol.

I read boxscores during ST cuz there are so many other sports going on at that time.

I've felt this way about the Nats since 2012. Their offense isn't that impressive 

I've watched about 3 innings of ST all month including the Yankees lol.

I read boxscores during ST cuz there are so many other sports going on at that time.

I've felt this way about the Nats since 2012. Their offense isn't that impressive 

In '12 they had one of the top offenses in the league. So really you're just talking about last year. Which was an anomaly to everyone. If they struggle this year like they did last year, you'll be on to something.

But you better ****ing not be. Lol It was downright painful at times last year, especially the first half.

In '12 they had one of the top offenses in the league. So really you're just talking about last year. Which was an anomaly to everyone. If they struggle this year like they did last year, you'll be on to something.

But you better ****ing not be. Lol It was downright painful at times last year, especially the first half.

He probably forget that we had an idiot hitting coach for the 1st half of the season and then wilson ramos was injured.  We stuck with Danny too long and it took awhile for span to hit.  

Scott Ferrall said last night that Bryce Harper was the most overrated player in baseball. Also said there was no way you can get that buff in 3 months just lifting.

I chuckled.

As I was watching the game today the announcers brought this up about Bryce as well. They then brought up a point that buster olney made about another player that was consistently "overrated" about 15 years ago........Derek Jeter.

The vote ESPN brough out was one where the players were polled. Some of them might be a little jealous of a 20 year old with that type of talent. Some of them might be upset that he is getting all of the attention he is at his age. Regardless, at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter unless it correlates to him not producing on the field as well.

Where is Scotty broadcasting from now? I love that guy, miss him since he left Sirius.

I hear him locally here in DC on 106.7. At night. Couldn't tell you what time, I believe it's live. But yeah, I've heard him hate on Harper a few times. Strasburg too. He's different. Har har Har.

I'm not sure if Harper is overrated as much as he just hasn't quite lived up to the hype. Don't get me wrong, he's been very good during his short time in the majors, but he's not on the level of Trout just yet. I believe he has a bunch of untapped potential, he just isn't there yet.

I'm not sure if Harper is overrated as much as he just hasn't quite lived up to the hype. Don't get me wrong, he's been very good during his short time in the majors, but he's not on the level of Trout just yet. I believe he has a bunch of untapped potential, he just isn't there yet.

No on is on the level of Trout. How he hasn't won an MVP is beyond me.

That being said, Harper's first two years, at his age, are among the best in the history in baseball.

As good as Cabrera has been the past six years for Detroit, no team should ever sign their own 30 year old (maybe) player to a 10 year deal that averages $29.2mil a year.

10 years, $292mil.

Insane.

Yeah that's a ridiculous deal. Don't blame Cabrera at all for taking it. But in about 4-5 years when Cabrera starts breaking down, the Tigers are going to regret that one

Yeah that's a ridiculous deal. Don't blame Cabrera at all for taking it. But in about 4-5 years when Cabrera starts breaking down, the Tigers are going to regret that one

You would think teams would have learned from the Pujols deal. No player in any sport is with that.

No on is on the level of Trout. How he hasn't won an MVP is beyond me.

That being said, Harper's first two years, at his age, are among the best in the history in baseball.

I hope you aren't saying that, based on the two All Star game appearances. Because he wasn't deserving either year.

Find me a 19 and 20 year old who put up those numbers in their first two seasons. Harper is part of a very select few.

As a 19 year old, he was 4th all time in WRc+ And the highest amongst anyone in the "live ball era" He's third by OPS.

2013 was a down/injury filled year and he still improved, OPSing .854. Not just his bat, but his legs and his defense. He runs with wreckless abandon, but, for the most part, that's helped him. His arm has saved the Nats runs, particularly in 2012 when he was in CF (and IMO, should have stayed there).

When you compare what Harper has done his first two seasons in the big leagues at 19-20 with his peers, his peers are all in the HoF.

Which is what amazes me even more about Trout because I would trade anything and everything for him every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Dude is just freaking amazing. It's why Harper gets the "overrated" banner. Was on the cover of SI at 16 and drafted number 1 overall. He was expected to be great. And here comes Trout, who is worlds better than everyone on the planet with little to no hype.

Can't believe the Nats took Drew Storen over Trout :(

To be fair, not many 19-20 year olds play right away. I'm just saying, his first two years were nothing special. His stats were mediocre.

Heyward was close to the same age when he came up. Compare his rookie season to Harper's. Blows him away. And I'm convinced his second year would have been equally impressive, had he not gotten injured. The two years Heyward wasn't injured, he put up really good numbers.

And for the record, I dont think Heyward is great, by any stretch. But he has pretty equal numbers to Harper (despite all the injuries) and you don't hear anyone saying he is the second coming.

Btw, I wholeheartedly agree with you about Trout. Amazing player.

To be fair, not many 19-20 year olds play right away. I'm just saying, his first two years were nothing special. His stats were mediocre.

Heyward was close to the same age when he came up. Compare his rookie season to Harper's. Blows him away. And I'm convinced his second year would have been equally impressive, had he not gotten injured. The two years Heyward wasn't injured, he put up really good numbers.

And for the record, I dont think Heyward is great, by any stretch. But he has pretty equal numbers to Harper (despite all the injuries) and you don't hear anyone saying he is the second coming.

Btw, I wholeheartedly agree with you about Trout. Amazing player.

You're ridiculous dude.  Can you just start an "Atlanta Braves 2014 Thread" and go post your rumblings to yourself?

Archived