Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

redskins.espn980.com Chris-russell IKE HILLIARD most likely coming back to coach the WR's

SWFLSkins

http://redskins.espn980.com/bloggers/chris-russell/item/980-reshaping-the-redskins

In other news in Redskins land, Gruden told the Washington Post that former Redskins wide receivers coach Ike Hilliard is expected to return after a one year hiatus in Buffalo. A very strange situation indeed, but perhaps Hilliard wanted to do more than he was allowed to do under Kyle and Mike Shanahan and it just didn't work out with the Bills.

The Redskins did not make the news official, but the connection is obvious and Hilliard is more than familiar with many of the players he will be coaching again.

You know, I like the idea of bringing in guys who are familiar with the team and everything, but nobody around here has won anything in a long time.

I'm not sure getting the whole band back together is such a great idea.

But what it is saying is that Bruce and Jay believe that 90% of the problem was Mike Shanahan and his guys.  (Kyle, Slowik, the ST coach who I've already forgotten the name of), etc. While I think that has merit, I'm not sure that's entirely true. 

I said this in the Press Release thread about Haslett.  It's a risk bringing in all these guys who've been here before and not won anything.

Big risk.  And I'm not sure I like it that much.

Any connection between Jay Gruden and Ike?

The Redskins hired ex-NFL WR Ike Hilliard as their receivers coach.

After his playing career ended following the 2008 season, Hilliard, 37, has been making the rounds in the coaching business. New Redskins coach Jay Gruden was the offensive coordinator for the UFL's Florida Tuskers in 2009 when Hilliard got his first coaching job as the Tuskers' WRs coach. Hilliard then coached the Redskins receivers in 2012 and the Bills wideouts in 2013.

Interesting.  I guess I didn't know they went back that far.

And, also interesting: of all the former 'Skins coaches that have been brought back, Ike was ONLY here for the 1 year they made the playoffs, in 2012.  

And he managed to keep the WR group together while Garcon was out due to injury, and they made the playoffs.  

I'm ok with this.  He had a good season here, and has ties to Gruden.  

Though, I still think its a risk bringing back a lot of guys who's been here. Since the results aren't exactly great. 

I can't say this is a good or bad move, at least he knows the personnel. I don't believe everything Shanahan did was to the detriment of the team. I'd much rather they'd hire someone who was WR coach from like, NE, where they had low round picks and undrafted FAs looking decent. 

Washington Ruskers?  Washington Tuskins?

Either way, this is shaping up to be an exciting time for any football fan who wants to see what UFL coaching staff can do in the NFL.

(kidding!!!!)

velocet

Those names actually don't sound too bad, better than some of the suggested names.

This is probably my least favorite hiring so far. Some have come up with this belief that everything Shanahan did was a poor decision because of how things ended. Simply because he showed Hilliard the door does not mean Hilliard was a good coach. I cannot think of a single receiver this millenium that we have really developed into a quality player, let alone a playmaker. So I'm not exactly excited about bringing back a guy who wasn't good enough to keep a job at a position where we needed someone and now he was shown the door in Buffalo after one year. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence for me. I would have rather seen us get someone new. 

This is probably my least favorite hiring so far. Some have come up with this belief that everything Shanahan did was a poor decision because of how things ended. Simply because he showed Hilliard the door does not mean Hilliard was a good coach. I cannot think of a single receiver this millenium that we have really developed into a quality player, let alone a playmaker. So I'm not exactly excited about bringing back a guy who wasn't good enough to keep a job at a position where we needed someone and now he was shown the door in Buffalo after one year. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence for me. I would have rather seen us get someone new. 

Kyle Shanahan was heavily involved with WRs here and overruled the position coach at times. IIRC Hilliard said as much when he left. There have been several coaches who left the team in lateral moves due to being overruled by the Shannys, with Danny Smith obviously being the most vocal about what was going on. Then, after Hilliard leaves, Mike McDaniel gets promoted to WR coach, Kyle's friend from Texas and an intern in Denver, oh, and he was a running backs coach prior, and not even at the NFL level. That screams cronyism.

Hilliard played the position for years at the NFL level, specifically coached the position hist first year in UFL, then was an assistant coach for WRs in Miami, then became a WR coach with us and has stayed a WR coach. Huge difference between  him and McDaniels in terms of qualified background.

WR production was up in 2012, and then in Buffalo Hilliard got good production out of the young WRs there too, especially considering the QB situation there. Hilliard had Aldrick and Hankerson to develop here, both of which had better seasons then and saw their receiving averages and targets:receptions ratios drop this season. Philosophical differences were cited in Hilliard leaving Buffalo, and from what I read on their board in comments it's likely due to the relationship of the HC and OC and them overruling him. Most there seemed to like what Hilliard did with the young WRs, especially Woods and Goodwin. None of them said they thought poor performance was why Hilliard and them parted ways.

So, we now have the coaching staff of the Florida Tuskers.  The UFL has come to the NFL.  That concerns me :-/

Please explain your statement and concerns...     There are 18 coaches, of which exactly 4 are from the 2009/2010 Florida Tuskers, the only years Gruden was there. Oh, and they won a championship. And really, why is hiring guys you have worked with before so bad? You don't think that happens every year from the different teams? They hire the guys they know that they have had some success with or at least they know share the same vision.

Other than just not liking haslett, not sure what your point is.

Archived