Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russell Johnson, the professor on ‘Gilligan’s Island,’ dies

SKINS@THEGOALLINE

Russell Johnson, who played the professor on "Gilligan's Island," died Thursday morning, his agent confirmed to TheWrap. He was 89.

Johnson

died at his home in Washington state of natural causes, his agent, Michael Eisenstadt said.

Born in rural northeastern Pennsylvania, Johnson graduated from a private boarding school for orphaned children before joining the Air Force, flying dozens of combat missions in World War II -- including one that turned him into a real-life castaway in the Philippines in 1945. Johnson's B-25 bomber was shot down by heavy flak; he broke both his ankles during the mission, and received the Purple Heart.

The professor could make a radio out of a coconut but couldn't fix a hole in the boat.

Rest in Peace

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=847737&ocid=ansent11

I hope he at least got to make out with Mary Ann and Ginger at least one time while that show was filming.  Then he would have had a life worth living.  

...or got to watch them make out with each other. surprised.gif

The man could turn a coconut into a radio but he couldn't fix the hole in the boat.

RIP Professor.

This was one of the things I always found funny about that show. I must have watched every episode at least 10-15 times. Definitely one of my faves growing up.

.This was one of the things I always found funny about that show. I must have watched every episode at least 10-15 times. Definitely one of my faves growing up.

It was on Channel 5 every afternoon during the 1970s, along with Bewitched, Get Smart, I Dream of Jeannie, and a few other stinkers.   I think I dropped my IQ by 30 points just sitting there day after day.

It was on Channel 5 every afternoon during the 1970s, along with Bewitched, Get Smart, I Dream of Jeannie, and a few other stinkers.   I think I dropped my IQ by 30 points just sitting there day after day.

I remember watching it after school in the 80's on WTBS along with the Brady Bunch, Leave it to Beaver and The Munsters. WTBS revitalized all those shows.

Yeah, good times, good times. Not so much for brain cells though. :)

That would be a good trivia question. "what was the professors full name?" Roy Hinkley

Yep. Or what was the Skipper's real name? (Jonas Grumby, I believe it was).

RIP Mr. Johnson. That only leaves two of the cast members among the living.... Dawn Welles (Mary Ann) and Tina Louise (Ginger).

Hazel...  My Favorite Martian.....  Mr. Ed...     

I remember watching it after school in the 80's on WTBS along with the Brady Bunch, Leave it to Beaver and The Munsters. WTBS revitalized all those shows.

Father knows best..

Archived