Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Joshua Morgan couldn't speak with Mike Shanahan

Llevron

There were no signs or indications that Morgan & Davis magically became mediocre players over the offseason, but there is mounting evidence of Shanny's doughouse becoming a no man's land and very hard to get out of.

Morgan always seemed mediocre to me anyway. Davis got an injury, an injury that a lot of people at the time thought might make him only a shadow of the player he once was. Davis slept during meetings, so that doghouse seems legit to me. Injury+slacking off doesn't lead to improvement, so his being mediocre was not surprising. As for Morgan in the doghouse, like I said, he never seemed great to me anyway. A lot of people thought we overpaid him when we got him, and at the moment, I agree with a lot of people.

Lets leave Robert out of the equation at the moment.

We have two players, in Davis & Morgan who could clearly play ball prior to 2013.  Reports of them being in Shanny's doghouse take place, and then suddenly neither is heard from much the rest of the season.

Now, do you think two players who were on the field and producing in 2012 suddenly couldn't play anymore. Keep in mind also, Morgan was producing in 2012 with pins in his foot as a holdover from the injury in 2011, and reports during training camp were saying he was showing a return of the burst after the catch that he lost in 2012 due to the injury.

There were no signs or indications that Morgan & Davis magically became mediocre players over the offseason, but there is mounting evidence of Shanny's doughouse becoming a no man's land and very hard to get out of.

im no shanny fan, but about these two players- i wouldnt say morgan was 'producing' last year. of course, there could be metrics which show he was respectable, but i was underwhelmed. but i, too, thought that he would be better this year with the pins out of his foot. it didnt happen. my two lasting memories of morgan are dropping a perfectly catchable ball that he didnt look back for (which nearly everyone blamed on griffin) and casually running out of bounds on a kickoff rather than cut upfield for some easy yards late in the season. he's ****ing terrible. 

as for davis, my lasting impression of him is dropping a perfectly thrown pass late in that one game that i'm trying to forget. he got the nickname sleepy for oversleeping for practice as a rookie. got busted for smoking weed (apparently several times). admitted to faling asleep in meetings, and just didnt play in a way you'd remember when given the chance. the fact that vinny picked him in the second round pretty much seals it. 

shanny is a sack of ****, lying weasel. but the one thing he got right was his doghouse. i dont know of one worthwhile player who was in it. 

I am not trying to say Davis or Morgan were GEMS.  However, I think they were probably the best available on the roster at the time. (Reed overtook Davis as a threat but could never stay on the field). 

I would argue that Morgan was more productive than Aldrick Robinson, and probably Moss too if he played as much.

I am not trying to make any absolute statements on either player, just hoping that we don't give up on guys necessarily because who knows what a new coach will see and think he can work with? 

I would argue that Morgan was more productive than Aldrick Robinson, and probably Moss too if he played as much.

im not in a position to judge with any kind of accuracy, but i looked at football outsiders (which is what i do when i want some perspective, for better or for worse) and their ranking of the redskins WR's were not flattering, to say the least. 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

i find it hard to believe that they have garcon- whom i like- ranked 47th in the league. hank was 62, moss 87. thats pretty rough. and those were our top 3 WRs. 

i disagree with some of their position or team rankings based on the eyeball test or 'common sense' numbers alone, and i know we are gulity of being homers more often than not, but are we that far off with regards to our WR's? 

and, if they are right, is this partly to blame for both griffin and cousins looking- overall- ordinary?

I formed an opinion based on available evidence.  Quite literally that's the only option available to us as human beings.  Can I run an experiment with a control group or video record Shanahan as coach of the Skins?  No? OK.

Rational evaluation of available evidence, as well as intuitions tell me I'm right.  That or we can just assume Cooley, Morgan and others are all liars.

Or we can just assume all players are all bums who lie about their coaches, repeat the same general story when discussing one particular coach and make excuses for their play.

Your post perfectly embodies the intransigent internet commenter who lobs the accusation of impartiality and irrationality at their fellows while being egregiously guilty of both themselves.  This evinces a distinct lack of the reflective character or analytical chops necessary to be an authority on others' posting styles.

Sorry, I missed the part where I was wrong and I also don't understand the part where everyone is considered right as long as they have ties to the organization. Like Cooley and Morgan. How could we ever question someone else's opinion? Especially one that doesn't play on the team anymore and the other one that completely sucked this past season. No, we shouldn't take that into consideration now should we? We need to believe this so called "evidence" which also happens to be someone's personal opinion. Again, opinions based off of other peoples opinions without having any actual knowledge of the situation to begin with. Kinda like yourself. I based my opinion on Morgan from his idiotic statement he made in this article. Not from someone else telling me it was idiotic. And you think that's a healthy way to form an opinion? To assume that everything is truth and that no one could possibly lie to make themselves look better maybe? Wow.

As for the players blaming a guy that got fired almost 3 weeks ago, maybe he should start looking at himself and not someone else? And please, share with us this valuable information that tells us how Josh Morgans problems are Shanahans fault. I would love to see that information because for the past 15 years It's been the coaches fault and no one else has ever taken accountability. I mean, seriously, if you have this information, we can figure out why the players/team sucks so much and what exactly the coaches have been doing wrong these past 15 years.

Damn you Shanahan for creating the same problems that this organization has already suffered from for years. Yeah, sounds right.

Backs up what Cooley mentioned about Robert feeling that Shanny didn't like him and he wouldn't tell him why or what the issue was. Sounds like Shanny was a bit of a Coward which is strange considering his profession is/was a leader of men.

For Shanny it isn't about being a leader, it's about seizing control....of everything.  If you can prevent someone from talking to you to the point that they don't even want to try because you figure its useless, you have manipulated that person into becoming a silent obedient even if that person is angry (because they will no longer even try to approach you).  Sick really.

For Shanny it isn't about being a leader, it's about seizing control....of everything.  If you can prevent someone from talking to you to the point that they don't even want to try because you figure its useless, you have manipulated that person into becoming a silent obedient even if that person is angry (because they will no longer even try to approach you).  Sick really.

it also prevents you from having confrontations that remind you that you're not in charge.  Hell, if he wanted to avoid confrontations it might explain why he was so dead set on not changing anyone who wasn't a rotation player for so long.  

Now all the players are blaming the coach and not themselves. lol

Welcome to the Washington Redskins!

So head coaches refusing to talk to players and locking their doors is acceptable behavior? I always thought coaches were supposed to motivate and embody that horrible cliche in being "leaders of men". Hiding in your office and playing the silent treatment game like an angry teenager doesn't really fit with that IMO.

Shanahan sucked *** as a coach here.  I've got one fact, .375 after 4 seasons, that's about all I need.  If he wants to make excuses, the salary cap penalty, the players don't like me, the owner meddled, etc. then damn straight the players are allowed to make excuses too.

Josh didn't play up to expectations, hopefully he can get back out there and do a better job.

In the same breath, Mike didn't coach up to expectations, he should be gone, and he is.  So, now maybe we'll have a coach who isn't an idiot when it comes to handling grown men.  It certainly sounded like his players, coaches, and even his own son didn't want to work for him anymore.

Morgan's words would have had much more impact if his performance on the field was what we were expecting, and we all know Shanahan's character. No surprise here, just another story, move on Josh, get your play together instead of talking about what's behind you and gone.

I'm just wondering when Shanahan will open up the pandora's box ?

So head coaches refusing to talk to players and locking their doors is acceptable behavior? I always thought coaches were supposed to motivate and embody that horrible cliche in being "leaders of men". Hiding in your office and playing the silent treatment game like an angry teenager doesn't really fit with that IMO.

Do you believe everything that disgruntled players say?  Mike Shanahan locked his door to avoid talking to Josh Morgan. Riiiiiight

People can say what they want about Morgan, and while I would tend to agree his tenure in DC so far has left a lot to be desired, if you go watch his play on the 49ers before his injury, he was a solid WR.  49ers fans were sad to see him go and felt the team didn't do enough to try and retain him.

I am not sure if his foot injury permanently changed his capability, but I have a feeling if he is gone we will see him emerge back to where he was before.

Morgan was a solid WR the first year here, I thought.    Last year, not so much.  And his contributions blocking in the run game in 2012 shouldn't be overlooked.  

Also you figure, with the money these guys are making, at a certain point they are going to give up, shut down, and collect a paycheck.

It happens to every team when the season is lost. The well gets poisoned, the locker room gets lost and negative, and even good players begin playing poorly. It happened to the Colts two years ago. The year before that they were a bankable 10 wins per for a decade+ and coming off a SB appearance with multiple HoFers on the roster.

Do you believe everything that disgruntled players say? Mike Shanahan locked his door to avoid talking to Josh Morgan. Riiiiiight

If one or two players said this, I might be less convinced that Shanahan was acting like that, but it's been not only more than 2 players, but coaches as well. Mike had a serious communication problem.

If this is true, then I can see how a rift was likely created between the coach and his players. I don't think I've ever worked in an environment where an open-door policy was not afforded to its employees. I would assume that the chain of command for a WR would begin with the HC, and, for Morgan, Shanahan completely cut off any communication by locking his door to Morgan and any complaints he had that heeded conversation with his coach.

Archived