Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Time Championship Coach - Joe Gibbs needs our votes

bentskin

Gibbs winning three Super Bowls with three different non Hall Of Fame quarterbacks speaks for itself and that feat alone puts him in a rarified air that is likely never to be matched by another coach. Gibbs second go around here gets picked apart by a lot of people, but his coaching job in 2007 was nothing short of amazing and might have been the best coaching job of his career. To lose your best player on your football team to a tragic, senseless murder, embarass yourself less than a week later by calling back to back timeouts that made a game winning 50+ yard field goal a 35 or so yard game winning field goal for the opposition, before going on a five game win streak with Todd Collins-- of all peoeple-- to get in the playoffs was absolutely miraculous. Although that season ended with a first round loss at Seattle, it again showed that no coach in the history of the N.F.L. was a leader of men like Coach Gibbs. And while no one ever really mensions that season as one his best, it only solidified his position at the top of all time greats.

Not being a homer here, just stating facts. And just for the record, the second best coach behind Gibbs is Belichick in my opinion.

I voted for all of the positions.  I cannot believe that Phil Simms is one of the choices for QB's.  Phil ****ing Simms???  The guy only has one ring, due mostly to the defense and a horribly shanked FG attempt.  He was not that great of a QB; hell, Theisman was much better, and he is HORRIBLE as a commentator.  Sorry, I had to vent a little after seeing his sorry butt on that poll.

Not being a homer here, just stating facts. And just for the record, the second best coach behind Gibbs is Belichick in my opinion.

agree with everything else, but my question about belichick is, how good is he without brady. hell, he hasnt won in years with brady.

agree with everything else, but my question about belichick is, how good is he without brady. hell, he hasnt won in years with brady.

A very valid point. However, the way Belichick constantly gets the Pats to the playoffs-- albeit in what is anually a pretty week division-- despite losing players to injury, free agency, incarceration- whatever, is impressive. The one year, 2008?, when Brady went down with an ACL tear in the season opener, the Pats went 11-5 with Matt Cassel-- who is nothing more than a career backup-- at QB, but didn't make the playoffs in what was obviously a tough AFC that year. I agree that Belichick benefits from having Brady, but I think Brady's career has definetely benefited by him playing for Belichick. Belichick teams are a lot like Gibbs coached teams in that it seems no matter who they plug in, their teams don't miss a beat.

Walsh has 4x the votes and Parcells has more than double as well.

Personally I'm one of those guys who thinks Walsh is overrated. Just look at his playoff record compared to Gibbs, then consider his team won the division by default during the entire 80's decade while we faced 2-3 good-great divisional teams every year. Gibbs still won as many Super Bowls as Walsh and had a better playoff record with no Jerry Rice or Joe Montana. Imagine if we got to face the Rams, Saints, and Falcons 2x a year back then instead of the Giants, Pukes, and Eagles.

I just don't understand how the only coach in NFL history to win three superbowls with different QBs each time isn't higher on the list.

Belichek has Brady, Shanny had Elway, Jimmy Johnson had Elway, etc.  Most coaches with multiple superbowls won with the same QB, and most of those QBs are hall of fame guys. 

Gibbs won THREE superbowls with different QBs each time, and none of those guys were HoF caliber. 

Gibbs winning three Super Bowls with three different non Hall Of Fame quarterbacks speaks for itself and that feat alone puts him in a rarified air that is likely never to be matched by another coach.

Let's not forget that Gibbs coached a team that only had replacement players and went undefeated. He even beat the Cowboys who had many regular players. If that's not being one hell of a coach, I don't know what is.

Let's not forget that Gibbs coached a team that only had replacement players and went undefeated. He even beat the Cowboys who had many regular players. If that's not being one hell of a coach, I don't know what is.

Again, another great point of Gibbs' leadership of men. All N.F.L. coaches know x's and o's. They wouldn't be coaching at that level if they didn't. It is how you get your men to follow you and buy into what you're doing that makes you a superior coach. Nobody did it as well as Gibbs. In my original comment, I forgot to mention him getting Timmy Smith to run for what was it 200 yds.? in the Super Bowl win over Denver. I know he was running behind a beast of an O-line, but Timmy Smith...common.

Archived