Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tips on being a Washington Redskins Fan for a new convert!

RED_DREADS

My question is to GIBBS HOG HEAVEN. What if you was born into a Cleveland Brown family? Would you stay with that team forever even though they appear to be somewhat cursed? My situation is unique since I was born outside the continental U.S. but I live with family who were born here. After getting into Football I chose a team and stuck with them through high school and a few years after until realizing "this crap aint fun anymore, these guys are not even trying to improve", so I decided to "Fire" them.

Yes. No question. Your team is your team. For better or worse. It is what it is and it's a one way loyalty bond like most nothing else in life. 

I aren't from the US either. And my home town soccer club last won it's domestic league, like the Redskins, in 1991. And like the Redskins were one of the NFL's most successful clubs, Liverpool were by far and away England's most successful and one of the biggest and most successful World wide. So for the last 22 straight seasons, I've watched both my sporting loves fall from grace in spectacular style. The Redskins being amongst the NFL's bottom dwellers pretty consistently through that period, culminating in the worst 4 year HC spell in our history ending in a 3-13 year. And Liverpool Football Club, although ticking over with cups not afforded to the Redskins in a one trophy game, getting nowhere near winning their own domestic crown that we crave so badly through that period. But like most everyone else on here, I'm still here because your team is your team. No matter how bad or hopeless it gets.

So yeah, if I had happened to of been born into a Browns family, I'd now be posting on a Browns board and living and dying with my team every Sunday however pathetically hopeless it became., Because they would be my team. PERIOD!

If you can just give up and switch, then you'll never truly understand what that connection between fan and team is.

Hail.  

Honestly, I'm considering letting my kids find their own teams when I have them. This team has caused me not much more than suffering in my 20 years of life

If they just kept the suck on the field, I'd be okay but the Redskins LOVE to suck off the field as well.

My advice is to honestly pick a different team. You'll be laughed at by your family and friends when they find out

I don't understand this talk of "picking another team." If you had to literally pick an NFL team to root for, maybe football isn't for you. I grew up liking football, but not as a fan of any particular NFL team. Then one day, I became aware of the the Redskins, it was love at first sight, and I've never looked back. Being a fan of a team, IMO, isn't something you can choose to do; you're either a fan of said team, or you're not. If someone's rooted for a team all their life and then switches over to another team, they will never feel the deep loyalty and affection for the team they chose like they would if they hadn't had to "pick" a team. I agree with previous sentiments that you can become a fan of a team by other ways than being born into it. But if you abandon your original team, and then look over the other teams and choose the one that best fits your interests, I don't think you'll never be a true fan, no matter how much you immerse yourself in that team.  In short, I agree with Gibbs Hog Heaven.

All that being said, however, welcome to Redskins Nation, Red_Dreads. It's a great team, and I hope you can find the loyalty to this team that you'll need before you'll be handed your Redskins' Fan Card.

GHH, I get where you are coming from.  It sounds as if he hasn't had a team yet, at all.  He picked one up at a bar one night, and the next morning he didn't like what he saw.  Now he's found himself a lovely burgundy and gold to warm his bed.

Welcome Red.  I think this team is poised for greatness, and this is the calm before the storm.

There are some great tips above.  We are a dysfunctional family, have had some tough years, but that will make it all the sweeter when we hoist the next Lombardi.

And above all else,

HTTR.

I'll welcome you, your reasons are your own...but being a Skins fan since I was 7 or 8 years old(36 now) I couldn't ever be a fan of another professional football team and we've suffered a whole lot of mediocrity and bad.  The love is just so deeply rooted/ingrained..I know no other way. Good and bad...mostly bad HTTR!

Welcome Red Dreads!! Anyone can become a "fan" of any other team whenever they would like. However you are not a "diehard" fan and never will be for this fact that you switched teams. I do give you credit though for not jumping on the bandwagon of the 49ers or Patriots (based on what you wanted in a team).

Who you calling a alcholic?  keeping a bottle of vodka and absinthe by me on game days with a 6 pack of Reds Apple Ale Strawberry edition doesn't make me a alcoholic.

The fact that they are all empty by halftime.......er..........maybe?      :)

I understand how GHH feels, but I don't know why you would pick a 3-13 team that just fired there head coach either.

Welcome to ES, where dysfunctional is normal.

My question is to GIBBS HOG HEAVEN. What if you was born into a Cleveland Brown family? Would you stay with that team forever even though they appear to be somewhat cursed? My situation is unique since I was born outside the continental U.S. but I live with family who were born here. After getting into Football I chose a team and stuck with them through high school and a few years after until realizing "this crap aint fun anymore, these guys are not even trying to improve", so I decided to "Fire" them.

Believe me, I honestly can't see why you guys think this team is all doom and gloom. So you guys had some down years. From what I've researched, you guys actually compete on the field. Your glory years were not that long ago. I'm gonna lay low with creating new threads but I plan on supporting this team in 2014. Thanks everyone for your posts.

Yes, you stay with the team you were destined to pull for.  Im almost 40 years old and live in NC, my family pulled for the Redskins and I was raised to pull for the Redskins.  My wife was from the same town, same thing, born into a Redskin family.  We moved to Charlotte, NC and then the Panthers came to town. 

Why in the hell would I pull for the Panthers?  Or any other team for that matter?  We are die-hard.  We grew up with the Super Bowl wins and we have been miserable for the better part of 20+ years.  

The Glory Years were 20+ years ago.  Honestly, I'm surprised how accepting everyone is of you "Switching teams", I take the side of another fan in a thread and get crucified sometimes lol.  

Honestly, I don't believe your sincerity as far as becoming a Redskins fan.  There is zero reason for any fan of any other team to want to pull for the Redskins in your area.  The Giants have won two Super Bowls this decade.  Go pull for them.  I personally think you are trolling.  

I've been a fan since 1970 right after Lombardi died & Allen came aboard.  I watched our first Superbowl against the "perfect" Dolphins.  I've been through more ups & downs & merry go 'rounds than you can ever possibly imagine.  Being a "fan" is very much like being married.  I met a wonderful woman 29 years ago. When you meet the "one" it just simply.....is.  We married and had 4 beautiful daughters.  Just as with my beloved 'Skins, it takes perseverance, forgiveness, and fortitude. My wife and I have stuck together & always will-just an unexplained bond of life.  It is EXACTLY the same for my wonderful & wacky & maddening Redskins. It is truly the best representation I can imagine; if you become a true fan you are married to THAT team.  It's just how it is.  I hope you stick it out and enjoy the ride. HTTR

Honestly, I don't believe your sincerity as far as becoming a Redskins fan.  There is zero reason for any fan of any other team to want to pull for the Redskins in your area.  The Giants have won two Super Bowls this decade.  Go pull for them.  I personally think you are trolling.  

...And another warm welcome to the new guy.

...And another warm welcome to the new guy.

Well, he seems like an obvious troll to me.  I don't know what else to say Dan.  :/

The guy wont even tell you who he pulled for, making it a stupid guessing game, says his family pulls for the Eagles, Giants and Cowboys.  Lives in the NJ/NY area and wants to stop pulling for his team and picks the Redskins of all teams to pull for.  That sounds like the most ridiculous back story I've ever read man.

Not to mention, he "watched all the Super Bowls"..........give me a break.

Y'all can buy it, I don't.  I'm just sayings all.

Well, he seems like an obvious troll to me.  I don't know what else to say Dan.  :/

The guy wont even tell you who he pulled for, making it a stupid guessing game, says his family pulls for the Eagles, Giants and Cowboys.  Lives in the NJ/NY area and wants to stop pulling for his team and picks the Redskins of all teams to pull for.  That sounds like the most ridiculous back story I've ever read man.

Not to mention, he "watched all the Super Bowls"..........give me a break.

Y'all can buy it, I don't.  I'm just sayings all.

I'll be perfectly honest man, that all crossed my mind the more I tried to fathom this. 

I just didn't want to flat out accuse him of that by taking him at face value. Such as it is. 

Hail. 

I'll be perfectly honest man, that all crossed my mind the more I tried to fathom this. 

I just didn't want to flat out accuse him of that by taking him at face value. Such as it is. 

Hail. 

I hear ya bro.  Sometimes I just call it like I see it lol.  I mean if it was somebody that had said something to the likes of they really didn't pull for a team, but got into the NFL and picked X team and pulled for them for a while and realized that they didn't identify with said team and after last season, the Redskins caught their eye, they followed RGIII since Baylor and thought, why the hell not adopt the Redskins....etc. etc. etc.  Then I might believe them.

But, to pull for a team for almost a decade and because they suck, etc. etc. etc.  coupled with the fact he states his family pulls for all three other NFC East Teams lol.  I just don't believe it.  Either way, I welcome him to the forum boards.  :)

If you strive to be a diehard, you will not be deterred by stories of pain, suffering and disappointment. You will have great expectations that the Redskins will win the Super Bowl and your dreams will be realized. Many of your Redskin fan friends will fall prey to depression and skepticism along the way. But, in the end, they will be right there with you, along with many new friends, many of whom you will have converted. And a diehard you will be. Hail to the Redskins.

I read ES almost every day, but, as you can see, I don't post much. I felt like jumping in here. OP, welcome. 

GHH and others talking about picking or switching teams, I think the relationship example really puts it into perspective. If you're born into a team, that's like an arranged marriage. Your family picked your relationship and your attachment grows through the sheer force of time and exposure. If you're not born into a team, then maybe you spent some time getting to know a team you thought was the one but things don't work out. If you leave that team and find one that you stick with, then there's nothing inherently inferior about your fandom.

What you don't want to do, however, is end up having one-season stands with every team in the league.

I'm also willing to give a pass for Browns fans. I have a good friend who is a Browns fan, grew up in Ohio, family from there, etc., but he cheats on the Browns with the Redskins because how could you not? Browns fans enjoy an unrivaled level of agony, so I can't blame them.

That said, my sister was talking about "switching teams" and not rooting for the Redskins anymore during this past season and I nearly blew a gasket.

Welcome aboard sir. Like others have said, be ready for disappointment. There will be tons of it.

But, once it actually sinks in that you are a Skins fan, should you decide to stay, you will be in for a ride. There have been lots of times that I have sworn that I was giving up on them and finding more productive things to do with my Sundays only to be sitting in the recliner at 1:00 wearing a jersey and screaming at the TV.

On the other hand I can remember being 13 and making a big sign and nailing it to my front porch after the Skins torched the Broncos in the SB. Growing up watching the Hogs, Smurfs, the Fun Bunch, the Diesel and Joe Gibbs (who I got to meet about a year ago) has made for a great football life for me. I hold out hope for a return to those days.

For me it's like a weed in your grass. Once it's there you can't get rid of the damn thing.

Anyway, buy in 100% (for good and bad) and enjoy the ride. Go Skins!

I was only going to quote part of this, but the whole thing deserves a repeat.

I've got a house in 3 different states of reconstruction, but the Skins take priority. Every Sunday is football, from start to finish. It's how I was raised, (after church, FOOTBALL). My dad the minister, started service at 10:30, so his congregation could be home in time for Skins games. Being a 40-year fan, I can tell you that you'll invest your heart & soul, only to lose both with a missed "go for two" that will ruin your upcoming week. Your co-workers will laugh, put funny things on your car...it comes with the territory.

I've lived in Georgia for the last 24 years. The Redskins will always be my team, and the Falcons will always suck. No one can claim I've ever said otherwise.

We welcome you to the happiest miserable family in the NFL!

Hail!

I have been a Redskins fan since 1967 and I have to confess that like GHH, Dont Taze me and a few others, I have a hard time with this "changing teams" thing. I cannot fathom rooting for any other team than the Washington Redskins. For that matter, the only reason there are 31 other teams is so the Redskins have someone to play. After that, I could care less about them. I just cannot comprehend finding another team. I hate losing to dallast so bad I sometimes I get physical ill (I drink very little so it's not a bad hangover!). So I have been physically ill quite a bit lately.

Having said that, anyone who wants root for the Skins is more than welcome. Just know that we are likely to rip your heart out on a regular basis. The fan base right now is angry and disillusioned. Many of us felt like we turned a corner last year winning the NFC East. But this  3-13 crap has just really knocked us for a loop. It was like a knife through the heart. Add to that all the drama, and you get fans replying to your question by telling you to find another team.

I will say this, if you ever get to experience a win at FedEx field for a meaningful game (I was at the dallast game where Morris ripped off 200 yds  and 3 TDs for a division title!), it is an experience you will never forget. I know for me, it's what drives me during those really dark times.

One last thing - Best story yet for how someone choose the Redskins - I met a guy in Seattle at the last game we played there who grew up in Oregon (remember Helu jumping over a guy for a TD). His family was always trashing "Washington", but it was of course the Husky version. At age 6 or 7 (I think), he somehow started rooting for the burgundy and gold Washington, thinking they were the same. When his dad told him, you realize that team plays on the east coast and is in the NFL, he said, so, they are my team and never looked back!!!!  I want to say he was in his 30s when I met him. Now that's a fan!!

Archived