Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tips on being a Washington Redskins Fan for a new convert!

RED_DREADS

Hello everybody, not new to football, I decided to abandon ship from a horrible NFL Team which shall remain nameless (they completely suck) after almost a decade of faithfulness to that dumpster fire of a team.

Decided I needed to hit the reset button and a fresh start so I chose the Redskins for a few reasons. An African American at the QB position (can he handle the stereotypical stigma and flourish or fail?), you guys have won more than one super bowl, your uniform is very distinctive and stands out, you guys represent the nation's capital, and I hate Dallas and y'all play them twice every year with the potential to sweep them.

I read up on the history of the team which has a horrible past concerning racism (the last team to have African American players and was forced to by the U.S. Government), to Joe Gibbs, the Hogs, all the way up to the present with the hiring of Gruden. I've even watched all three super bowls by ordering them free on demand. My favorite won was against the Buffalo Bills.

Anyway, I live in New York, I'm a Pacific Islander, and I plan to go to a game or two this year. Just looking for any feedback and if anybody want to share their experiences. I will be the only one in my family representing the Redskins, there is two Eagles fans, three Giants fans and everybody else likes Dallas. I hope we have a winning record this year and take the division again this year so I can start talking smack!

Hello everybody, not new to football, I decided to abandon ship from a horrible NFL Team which shall remain nameless (they completely suck) after almost a decade of faithfulness to that dumpster fire of a team.

I hate to be the first to tell you, but the Skins will break your heart repeatedly, and in the last 20 years, I'm fairly certain we have a worse W/L record than every other team in the NFL.  

So, if you're looking for a team that's not "horrible" you might want to keep on looking.  Just sayin'. 

If you decide to stay, welcome aboard.

I guess I can give you some tips anyway, in case you stick around.

1. Joe Gibbs is the greatest coach we've ever had, and the only coach to win 3 SBs each with a different starter at QB.

2. Sean Taylor is like a saint around here.  Could have been one of, if not the greatest defensive player we've ever had, and many around here took it as a personal blow when he was murdered in his home, defending his wife and kid.

3. As for the current team, feel free to take any position you want on any issue, because someone will argue it with you no matter what, and all of this is okay.

4. Griffin's the first legitimate potential franchise QB we've had since Joe Theisman (who ended his career after LT broke his leg).

5. The best OL we've ever had is the Hogs, and we tend to refer to any potentially good OL coming in as "the return of the Hogs".

6. The colors are BURGUNDY and GOLD, not red and yellow, or maroon and black (which is a reference to Jim Zorn who was a disaster as a HC)

7. We've tended to favor running more than passing, in the past

8. FedEx Field's grass is always ****

9. If you get your feelings hurt easily, you should probably find another Skins forum, because inevitably someone will assume you're dumb, a troll, a spy, a liar, delusional, etc, and at the same time you'll likely have several people "like" your post, so take everything with a grain of salt.

10. My last advice…NEVER start a thread.  It's the easiest way to get something negative on your record, and someone else will very likely start the thread you were thinking about starting. I have been here for seven or eight years now, and I've never started a thread.  I've also never been banned (though I think it was close a few times, but that was for calling people idiots. lol)

HTTR = Hail To The Redskins (**** or shine)

I think if I were you I would become a San Francisco 49ers fan just going off of the reasons you picked the Redskins. If I was starting new I would pick a winner and they are a young team that is going to be good for awhile. 

I think he has more integrity than that.  Obviously he could have picked any playoff team, but went with a team who might have potential in the years ahead, instead of going "bandwagon" like everyone else. 

I respect the guy for that.

We have lots to be hopeful for with a real FO structure, a new head coach, RG3, and some potential on the roster, but the team didn't play well this season and a bunch of other seasons lately so fair warning there. But we do have a lot of potential, just have to hope we can realize it. With Gruden and RG3 paired together I think good things are ahead.

I'm trying SO hard to understand but no matter how I try rationalise it I can't grasp moving from one team to another.

That to me, however you try justify it, makes you much less a 'fan' and much more a 'customer.'

Fandom doesn't work like that. More often than not, rightly or wrongly, his/ her team is the most important thing in a fans life outside of their faith and family. Often passed down within that family from one generation to the next. Being a fan of a sports team is not something you can switch at will like doing the weekly grocery shop and deciding 'Walmart's too expensive this week so we're shopping at Giant.'

Nothing personal man, as I'd say the same to anyone doing the same; but I can't offer you advice on being a fan of my team as you're not a 'fan' to start with.

Hail.

Welcome. Many will say that you are jumping from the frying pan into the fire, but on the other hand we are  Extremeskins. 

For the most part, no fair weather fans here. Some extremers have been here since moby Dick was a minnow enduring  unspeakable insults in support of the team but giving it out as good as we take.  Again, welcome.

It's too easy to pick a team that's already got it made. Plus I'm a fan of picking a team you can actually show up at the stadium and cheer for. I'm not gonna get on a plane and book a hotel just to see a game. I don't have any trouble driving to D.C. plus I can see them when they come to NY/NJ.

I'm trying SO hard to understand but no matter how I try rationalise it I can't grasp moving from one team to another….

I think it might have something to do with this quote from him, "I will be the only one in my family representing the Redskins, there is two Eagles fans, three Giants fans and everybody else likes Dallas."

Anyone that lives in a family with fans of those teams would likely grow up with an extreme hate of those teams, which leads to the inevitable step.  

That's actually how I became a Redsox fan.  I didn't really care about baseball much, but I was in military training with a Yankees fan (who was an idiot) and I started cheering for the Redsox just to piss her off.  Well, lucky for me, that all started in 2004, so when the Yankees were up 3-0 in their playoff series, I said, "You're about to see the greatest comeback in baseball history".  

Of course, I was saying it solely to be an ******* and not because I thought anything would happen, then they won the next 4 games and the World Series.  It was amazing, and since then I've had a personal connection with the Redsox.

Sometimes, you can become a diehard fan in other ways than just being born into it.  I know it's not often done, but I'll give him the chance.

I hate to be the first to tell you, but the Skins will break your heart repeatedly, and in the last 20 years, I'm fairly certain we have a worse W/L record than every other team in the NFL.  

I'm fairly certain that the Raiders, Browns, Bengals, Lions, Cardinals and Rams (for starters) have worst records than the Skins over the last 20 years.

Sometimes, you can become a diehard fan in other ways than just being born into it. I know it's not often done, but I'll give him the chance.

No question. And that isn't at question to me here.

'Switching' teams is. Even more so when you've been a supposed 10 year 'fan.'

That doesn't make you a 'fan' of much anything to me and simply a 'customer .'

The fact you've not picked a winning team is immaterial.

Hail.

You need these traits to be a Redskins fan:

• Patience - OMFG do you need patience
  • Thick Skin - having NFCE family members will be fun and around these parts (ES), don't take anything personal
  • Humility - Times will be tough and you will get it from all sides
  • Sense of humor - aka Jim Zorn years
  • Patience - did I mention that one yet?

Welcome aboard and As always: HTTR!

First, ignore the negativity to your post at the moment. We're coming off a horrible season, our highly paid to acquire franchise QB had a down year, and a huge amount of drama was caused/ bysurrounded the old coach which still has a dampening effect. Fans are understandably down at the moment.

Two, I think Jflow covered a lot of good points.

Three, welcome aboard

How to fit in on ES as a new Redskins fan:

Step 1: Develop an irrational affection or hatred for a player/coach.  It doesn't have to even be anyone worthwhile.

- Examples: Anthony Mix is tall! Colt Brennan would have been a HOFer!

Step 2: Inject this into every discussion thread no matter how irrelevant.

- Example: In a thread about our uniforms, mention how Haslett sucks as a DC and justify it by quoting his defensive stats while the team wears gold pants

Step 3: Avoid logical arguments.  They have no place on a NFL team forum.

- Example: Shanahan was losing on purpose to get back at RGIII because that was the only way to ensure future jobs and entry into the HOF.

Step 4: Get banned for not reading the forum rules.  It's like a rite of passage.  No one reads the rules except the mods and posters who quote the rules to others in a way that shows that they themselves failed to read the rules.

- Examples: "Shouldn't the mods ban poster X for this?"  "Shouldn't the mods close this thread?"

Step 5: ???

Step 6: Bask in the eventual glory of a Redskins Championship!

How to fit in on ES as a new Redskins fan:

Step 1: Develop an irrational affection or hatred for a player/coach.  It doesn't have to even be anyone worthwhile.

- Examples: Anthony Mix is tall! Colt Brennan would have been a HOFer!

Step 2: Inject this into every discussion thread no matter how irrelevant.

- Example: In a thread about our uniforms, mention how Haslett sucks as a DC and justify it by quoting his defensive stats while the team wears gold pants

Step 3: Avoid logical arguments.  They have no place on a NFL team forum.

- Example: Shanahan was losing on purpose to get back at RGIII because that was the only way to ensure future jobs and entry into the HOF.

Step 4: Get banned for not reading the forum rules.  It's like a rite of passage.  No one reads the rules except the mods and posters who quote the rules to others in a way that shows that they themselves failed to read the rules.

- Examples: "Shouldn't the mods ban poster X for this?"  "Shouldn't the mods close this thread?"

Step 5: ???

Step 6: Bask in the eventual glory of a Redskins Championship!

Step 5 is the most important *nod*...

2. Sean Taylor is like a saint around here.  Could have been one of, if not the greatest defensive player we've ever had, and many around here took it as a personal blow when he was murdered in his home, defending his wife and kid.

+1

while you're at it, go on youtube and search "sean taylor highlights" you'll have plenty to choose from. one in particular, "the legend of sean" is about 30 min long and must have every play he's every made.

actually, its pretty depressing watching him because we lost a hell of a football player. but, if you want to become a fan, you need to know sean taylor. before we drafted rg3, you would see more 21 jerseys than any other player, even years after his death.

Archived