Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How much could a reshuffling of the line help?

carex

First post here, I see many OLine topics, but not one that quite fits what I'm wondering

The Redskins interior linemen seem to have a lot of versatility.  Just about all of them can play center and guard.  A lot of people are thinking Lichtensteiger would be a better center than guard and he would have to put on less weight to get up to average at center than he would at guard.  Will Montgomery is already in the acceptable weight for guards

How would a line like this look to most people?

LT- Williams, Compton

LG- Hurt, Leribius 

C- Lichtensteiger, Montgomery

RG- Montgomery, Stevens

RT- free agent or draft pick, Compton

You could flip the guards, I suppose.  Montgomery on the left, Hurt on the right, or LeRibeus starting over Hurt.  For those who don't remember Stevens is Tevita Stevens a c/g we had on the practice squad

First off welcome to this place of ours man. Be prepared for your social life to suffer. It's quite the addiction.

Just a tip going forward. Do a search on a common subject like this. There's quite a few similar threads, both current and relatively recent, discussing the same that this could of gone in.

As to your premise, yeah, I firmly believe we have untapped starting potential that now will be allowed to flourish under better coaching and scheme. Namely two perfectly sized, big, athletic guards in MoHurt and LeRibeus. Or maybe even Josh at centre if may dream pick Cyril Richardson makes it out of the first. That would be a MAJOR bonus to transcend to more of a power/ man scheme if we only need to find 2 new guys instead of 4 to start. Even if Josh and Compton jus end up as solid back-ups that's a plus right there.

I know next to nothing on Stevens (what's he weigh in at out if interest?); but I sincerely hope the woeful Cheater, Montgomery and pitifully undersized Lichtensteiger have seen their last outings in our colours.

Now if we can just make Mike Munchak the next coaching hire to kick this line into top shape .....

Hail.

Just a tip going forward. Do a search on a common subject like this. There's quite a few similar threads, both current and relatively recent, discussing the same that this could of gone in.

As to your premise, yeah, I firmly believe we have untapped starting potential that now will be allowed to flourish under better coaching and scheme. Namely two perfectly sized, big, athletic guards in MoHurt and LeRibeus. Or maybe even Josh at centre if may dream pick Cyril Richardson makes it out of the first. That would be a MAJOR bonus to transcend to more of a power/ man scheme if we only need to find 2 new guys instead of 4 to start. Even if Josh and Compton jus end up as solid back-ups that's a plus right there.

I know next to nothing on Stevens (what's he weigh in at out if interest?); but I sincerely hope the woeful Cheater, Montgomery and pitifully undersized Lichtensteiger have seen their last outings in our colours.

I did see multiple threads but those seemed to be more about what we need than what we have and I didn't really want to derail anyone else's thread.  

According to Redskins.com Stevens weighs in at 300.  I looked up his old draft profile and according to it he started out at RG, but shifted to center two years in and it said he might be more suited for guard in the pros

If you don't think Lichtensteiger is worth anything what about Gettis?  He's also a little small for a guard, but not as small as Kory and he can also play center from what I hear

I like the idea but like everyone else have my own ideas.

1. I do not like KL or Monty at Center. KL is too slow and could not get calls right when he subbed for Monty a few games. It was a complete disaster. IMO we need to plain release KL outright. He would not start anywhere else but here. We need new blood. I like someone from FA, but I have not looked hard enogru to provide any names. I will by the draft.

2. I like Hurt or LeRibeus at LG. I think Josh has a better chance. He is more specifically suited for guard. To me the value in Hurt is his flexibility in that he can play both R/LT and both L/RG.

3. I don;t think Chester is as bad ias he looked this year. I believe if you watch, he was covering Polumbus butt too much. Now he needs to make sure he does his job but with better talent at RT and C I think Chester will be fine.

4. Please find a door for Mr. Polumbus. Thanks for stopping by! I like a FA here. Not sure you could draft a RT that could start right away unless at GHH said we get lucky and someone falls. However, there are always many RTs to be had in FA.

So my line looks like this:

LT = Willaims, Hurt

LG = LeRibius (maybe Hurt here), Draft

C = FA, Monty, Late Draft

RG = Chester, Stevens is OK here

RT = FA/Compton, which ever is not the starter/Hurt

Moving Monty from C where he is adequate to OG where his lack of strength would likely be as problematic as Chester.

I'm tired of the "3 center" interior

I do think Maurice Hurt can play when healthy.

I thought Tom Compton, even as a rookie, was at least equal to Polumbus.

I thought LeRib held his own the 2 games he played in Griffs rookie year.

I think Polumbus proved that he's passable at RT.

I want a more stout center. I am burned out on Licht. Nothing against him, I just want someone bigger and stronger. Rolling with the lightest guard in the league mandates perfect technique and execution, but it also dictates many simple plays are avoided, specifically short yardage. Everyone and the defense knows we are not running behind LG. No QB sneaks, etc.

Chester has had issues, but even Trent our all star LT gave up 9.5 sacks. Our line was a mess and very inconsistent. Polumbus the whipping post for much of the past 2 years, had a great first half of the year. Completely unpredictable week in and "weak" out. You can't make this stuff up.

Indeed all the versatility we were sold on, was never used. Our OL could not have been more static.  The guards can play center, the backup guards can swing out to tackle blah blah. At this point, I feel like its shuffling deck chairs. I want upgrades tried and new Trueblood brought in, maybe even stick Rib at Center.

Indeed all the versatility we were sold on, was never used. Our OL could not have been more static.  The guards can play center, the backup guards can swing out to tackle blah blah. At this point, I feel like its shuffling deck chairs. I want upgrades tried and new Trueblood brought in, maybe even stick Rib at Center.

Shanny was very stubborn in his setup with the line.  I didn't think it made any sense to be so unwilling to change anything.  

I would like to see Chester and Kory L gone asap. Montgomery did well last year and was horrible this year, I think I would let him, Walton and either a rookie or free agent battle for the starting center job. I would keep Polumbus as the back-up swing tackle at the veteran minimium and nothing more. If he wan'ts more or is offered more let him go. I wanted the Redskins to sign Anthony Collins last year as a free agent but he resigned with the Bengals for one year and I hope the Redskins go after him this year. The Bengals won't over pay so I think if the Redskins strike fast with something reasonable they can get him. When Compton was coming out of college the draft reports I read on him were that if he added some strength he would be a better guard than tackle and I would let him and Hurt battle for one of the guard spots and use the second or third round pick yo get the other guard.

LT- Williams  Polumbus

LG- Richardson (Baylor) LeRibius

C- Montgomery  Walton

RG- Compton  Hurt

RT- Collins   Hurt

I discussed some of this in the Draft Thread, but I think that this is a poor draft class for Centers, which means those that are there are likely to get overdrafted through lack of options/desperation. Likewise that's likely to up the competition for FA signings, so it becomes a risk/reward for how much it's sensible to invest against standing pat with an open competition between Monty, Lich, Walton (if we keep him) and LeRib. It'd be worth us at least having a run at Mack just to explore how much it'd cost us, but I would have thought that game will get too expensive fast.

His signing bonus was $2.75M over a five year contract, so it is prorated at about $500K per year.  His salary for 2014 is $2.5M, so it would be a savings of $2M, assuming my info is correct (here).

You have this mostly right accept the $2.5M signing bonus was guaranteed. If we release him this year, any unpaid bonus would count against our cap, in this case $2M. The net would be a $1.1M savings (it appears they added $200k across the last 4 yrs. to save a little cap space last year)-- 

On roster = $2.5M + $550k + $250k (Workout bonus) = $3.3M Cap hit

CAP hit if Released Dead money) = $550k x 4 = $2.2M 

$3.3M - $2.2M = $1.1M cap savings. Next year the cap savings would be $550k higher since we would have taken that hit this year. 

Here'd is pretty good link - http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Redskins&Year=2014

You have this mostly right accept the $2.5M signing bonus was guaranteed. If we release him this year, any unpaid bonus would count against our cap, in this case $2M. The net would be a $1.1M savings (it appears they added $200k across the last 4 yrs. to save a little cap space last year)-- 

On roster = $2.5M + $550k + $250k (Workout bonus) = $3.3M Cap hit

CAP hit if Released Dead money) = $550k x 4 = $2.2M 

$3.3M - $2.2M = $1.1M cap savings. Next year the cap savings would be $550k higher since we would have taken that hit this year. 

Here'd is pretty good link - http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Redskins&Year=2014

Oops!  My brain must have be frozen yesterday.

They could spread the dead money over two years, but they might not want to.

Some of the numbers in the link are off - they have Orakpo and Morgan counting against the 2014 cap, for example.

I would like to see Chester and Kory L gone asap. Montgomery did well last year and was horrible this year, I think I would let him, Walton and either a rookie or free agent battle for the starting center job. I would keep Polumbus as the back-up swing tackle at the veteran minimium and nothing more. If he wan'ts more or is offered more let him go. I wanted the Redskins to sign Anthony Collins last year as a free agent but he resigned with the Bengals for one year and I hope the Redskins go after him this year. The Bengals won't over pay so I think if the Redskins strike fast with something reasonable they can get him. When Compton was coming out of college the draft reports I read on him were that if he added some strength he would be a better guard than tackle and I would let him and Hurt battle for one of the guard spots and use the second or third round pick yo get the other guard.

LT- Williams Polumbus

LG- Richardson (Baylor) LeRibius

C- Montgomery Walton

RG- Compton Hurt

RT- Collins Hurt

I like the look of this OL, but I would have Leribus at C.

Oops!  My brain must have be frozen yesterday.

They could spread the dead money over two years, but they might not want to.

Some of the numbers in the link are off - they have Orakpo and Morgan counting against the 2014 cap, for example.

I know Rak and Morgan are FAs but they definitely have money listed against the cap for them, not only on the summary page but their personal page. Over all, Ihave found it difficult to find many pages that stay up to do date exactly during the off season, but I try to understand why they are showing him with money against the cap.

The only explanation I have is that maybe we restructured with an option year to move a little of his bonus out. But I am really just grasping. I will keep looking.

Archived