Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 NL East Division Champs Washington Nationals(News, Notes, Scores, and Discussion)

just654

Dan Kolko (@masnKolko) tweeted at 1:45 PM on Thu, Feb 13, 2014:The Lobaton trade is now official. #Nats also get LHP Felipe Rivero & OF Drew Vettleson in exchange for Nathan Karns.

Adam Kilgore (@AdamKilgoreWP) tweeted at 1:50 PM on Thu, Feb 13, 2014:LHP Felipe Rivero and  OFDrew Vettleson are the two prospects in the Nats-Rays deal, team announces. No. 17 and No. 20 on BA's Rays' list.

Felipe Rivero Scouting Report (Tampa Bay Rays)

As far as pure stuff is concerned, Rivero is packing. His fastball sat 91-94mph in his first inning of work with late tail, a true plus offering that showed even better at times. Rivero lost velo, however, as his outing wore on. He was showing mostly 87-90mph as early as the third inning and struggled to amp things up above 91mph when he wanted it later. There are several potential causes for this drop, obviously. Again, if this is something Rivero experiences habitually, it’s something that could contribute to a move to the bullpen.

Quality secondary stuff is a rarity in Hi-A ball so it was a treat to see not one, but two potential weapons in Rivero’s curveball and changeup. The curve will spin in the 76-78mph range with impressive vertical depth. The pitch is consistently average and will show plus more than a few times. Like the fastball, Rivero’s breaking ball was less and less enthralling as his start progressed. It was never bad, it was simply less dangerous. The changeup is behind Rivero’s other two pitches but it isn’t bad. A tad firm at times (mostly 83-86mph), it featured quite a bit of arm-side run and arm speed to match the heater, showing a tad better than average in a few instances while settling in as a grade 45 pitch overall. Rivero clearly has a feel for it and it’s not unreasonable to think it might be a swing and miss weapon one day.

http://longenhagen.blogspot.com/2013/08/felipe-rivero-scouting-report-tampa-bay.html

Kolko - Jersey numbers, facial hair updates and more Ramos quotes

VIERA, Fla. - For those of you who are interested in keeping up with the jersey numbers of the new Nationals - and I know you people are out there - I have updates for you.
Outfielder Nate McLouth, who signed a two-year deal this offseason, will wear No. 15, which was worn by Dan Haren last season. Right-hander Doug Fister, acquired in a December trade with the Tigers, will wear No. 58. And Jerry Blevins, the left-handed reliever the Nats got in a trade with the A's, will wear No. 13.
Manager Matt Williams will be sporting No. 9 with the Nats.
I won't wear a jersey number, but I'll be No. 1 in your hearts.
If you're looking for the latest facial hair news regarding Nats players (if we want to call it news), Ryan Mattheus has kept his beard, which is approaching Jayson Werth level. Here's a picture of it, courtesy of Gio Gonzalez's Instagram feed.
Mattheus asked around to make sure he would be allowed to keep the beard into the regular season, if he so desires, and apparently he got the go-ahead from Williams and pitching coach Steve McCatty.
McCatty had a simple message on that topic, which Mattheus relayed to me this morning.
"If you get guys out, I don't care what you look like," McCatty told him.
A funny moment from this morning came when right-hander Taylor Jordan made his way over to Nathan Karns to wish Karns well before he departed for Rays camp. Jordan had just become aware of the trade that was causing his buddy to pack up his belongings, but he hadn't heard where Karns had been dealt.
"What team?" Jordan asked. "The A's?"

More from the link.

Nats sign pitcher Josh Roenicke, (Ian Desmond's brother-in-law and son of ex-Oriole Gary Roenicke) to a minor league deal.  

"The 31-year-old reliever saw significant action in Colorado and Minnesota the last two seasons, posting a combined 7-3 record and 3.70 ERA in 126 appearances, though his walk rate (5.2 per nine innings) was an area of concern."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2014/02/14/nationals-ink-reliever-josh-roenicke-ian-desmonds-brother-in-law-to-minor-league-deal/

Read that R Zimm reported today, and had a first basemans mitt in his locker. Has known Williams wants him to take some reps there.

Matt Skole is reminding Williams of Jim Thome...Yea. Says his power to oppo is very similar to Thome.

2nd base battle is wide open, no favorites. Though Rendon seriously bulked up this winter.

And that drone is ****in crazy. Lol

Dan Kolko (@masnKolko): In an empty stadium, Matt Williams and new 3B coach Bobby Henley are practicing giving & receiving signs. Talk about attention to detail.

I am just ready for this season. I know if this team plays to potential then the sky is the limit. We have 3 possible 20 game winners in our starting rotation the 4-5 spots are up for grabs with some talented arms, and we all know that when our bull pen is on it can be lights out IMO it is the most intimidating bull pen in baseball with Clippard, Storen, Soriano, all having the ability to close, and with good middle and long relief.

Our line up is not much different we have several guys that should approach 30 HR's and close to 100 RBI's

The only thing that concerns me is the thing that concerns me every year, can we keep it going for an entire year, can we play 162 games to our potential not winning every game obviously but beating teams and winning games we should win and need to win at the times we need to do it.

I'm excited and IM READY! Opening day can't be here soon enough!

Read that R Zimm reported today, and had a first basemans mitt in his locker. Has known Williams wants him to take some reps there.

Matt Skole is reminding Williams of Jim Thome...Yea. Says his power to oppo is very similar to Thome.

2nd base battle is wide open, no favorites. Though Rendon seriously bulked up this winter.

And that drone is ****in crazy. Lol

Dan Kolko (@masnKolko): In an empty stadium, Matt Williams and new 3B coach Bobby Henley are practicing giving & receiving signs. Talk about attention to detail.

Rendon is, easily, the favorite. Espinosa has still not had surgery. I would be (pleasantly) shocked if he is able to OPS over .650

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2014/02/20/lucas-giolito-ranked-21st-in-baseball-americas-top-100-prospect-list/

Lucas Giolito ranked 21st in Baseball America’s Top 100 prospect list

Having thrown 38 2/3 professional innings, 19-year-old right-hander Lucas Giolito remains more a product of projection than performance. But that vast potential – a triple-digit fastball, a physics-challenging curveball and a body like an NBA small forward – is enough to make Giolito, by consensus, one of the top prospects in baseball.

Following a season shortened by his recovery from Tommy John surgery, Giolito was named baseball’s No. 21 prospect in Baseball American’s annual Top 100 ranking. Though right-handed starter A.J. Cole and center fielder Brian Goodwin have landed on other prospect rankings, Baseball America included no other Nationals.

Scouts and executives across the sport believe Giolito, the 16th pick in the 2012 draft, has so much raw ability that he will become a top-five prospect in all of baseball simply by staying healthy this season. Nationals officials believe his pure stuff, particularly his fastball and curve, would be above-average in the major leagues right now.

Ross Detwiler is looking strong and throwing a cutter

Only the grind of the season will allow Ross Detwiler to prove he can stay healthy. But already, after only one week of workouts, the lefty has proved he is healthy after back surgery last summer, and perhaps stronger than ever.

Detwiler entered spring as the most accomplished starter among those fighting for the fifth rotation spot. His performance early in camp – including the unveiling of a new cutter – has only reinforced his presumed status as a favorite.

“Detwiler is getting stronger every day,” said Livan Hernandez, who once pitched in the same rotation as Detwiler and is now serving as a spring instructor. “Detwiler is ready for this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if he wins a lot of games. I think he’s got the chance to win 15 or more games this year.”

Hernandez sees Detwiler’s fastball “exploding” more than it used to. He also raved about Detwiler’s cutter has looked.
Detwiler has never thrown a cutter before this spring. Coaches had told him the pitch may work especially well with his delivery. He also wanted a different pitch for his repertoire – he threw his fastball 80 percent of the time in 2012 and on percent of his pitches last season.

But when Detwiler had tried to throw a cutter in previous offseasons, it never felt right. For reasons that remain beyond his grasp, throwing a cutter took this winter. In bullpen sessions, Detwiler has remained comfortable — “free and easy,” he said — throwing it.
“I’ve really thrown one pitch,” Detwiler said. “I had a few people tell me it would be good for my arm angle and everything. So I just kind of messed around with it a few times. Finally, this offseason I messed around with it a little bit. It actually felt good.”
Hernandez compared the way Detwiler could use his cutter to Al Leiter, a former teammate. But he thinks Detwiler has better overall control and command than Leiter did.

Good article in the WaPo today on Giolito by Wagner. Love the process they are taking with him. He needs experience and they aren't going to rush him through the minors. Maybe we'll see him late next year in Washington. I think we have fine starting depth right now and probably will let him buildup slowly until the start of the '16 season. By then he'll be only 21-22 years old.

Nationals’ Lucas Giolito, with surgery in the rearview mirror, flashes ‘electric’ potential

Good article in the WaPo today on Giolito by Wagner. Love the process they are taking with him. He needs experience and they aren't going to rush him through the minors. Maybe we'll see him late next year in Washington. I think we have fine starting depth right now and probably will let him buildup slowly until the start of the '16 season. By then he'll be only 21-22 years old.

Nationals’ Lucas Giolito, with surgery in the rearview mirror, flashes ‘electric’ potential

Every report on him makes me wish he was in the rotation now. Waiting for prospects is hard.

Every report on him makes me wish he was in the rotation now. Waiting for prospects is hard.

The article points out that he's thrown a grand total of 38 2/3 live innings as a professional baseball player since being signed out of high school.  Let him dominate in A ball for a while.  Thank goodness the Nats are being patient with him.

That said, I share your giddy excitement that this guy is waiting in the wings.  I hope to see him pitch in Viera next month.

The article points out that he's thrown a grand total of 38 2/3 live innings as a professional baseball player since being signed out of high school.  Let him dominate in A ball for a while.  Thank goodness the Nats are being patient with him.

That said, I share your giddy excitement that this guy is waiting in the wings.  I hope to see him pitch in Viera next month.

Exactly. Rizzo and his team draft so well it seems that they can afford to trade prospects for players who can contribute right away and still have depth in the system.

First ST game Fri. Ready to see the guys back out there.

Washington Nationals (@Nationals): First lineup of 2014! Here's the #Nats lineup for Friday's Grapefruit League opener vs #Mets: Dan Kolko (@masnKolko) #Nats lineup for Friday vs. Mets: McLouth 9, Espinosa 4, Zimmerman 5, LaRoche 3, Desmond 6, Ramos 2, Moore DH, Hairston 7, Perez 8, Jordan 1

Archived