Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 NL East Division Champs Washington Nationals(News, Notes, Scores, and Discussion)

just654

Do you suppose that could be used to get him to negotiate with us, by making trading almost impossible?  True, he'd hold a ton of leverage, but there's always the injury risk.  Why not offer him an additional 4/$60 to make it a 6 year/84 million deal total?  That's 14 million per, which is relatively reasonable without being top top end money, sews him up through age 33, gives him stability and more money than he should ever reasonably need.

I just looked up some salary tables.  There are no pitchers in the 14 million range.  13+ Million guys include Josh Johnson, Ted Lilly, Ervin Santana, John Papelbon, and sadly, Dan Haren.  I'd take J-Zimm over any of these guys.

15 million+ guys? John Lackey and John Danks....which makes me think we may have to open the bank a little more.

Alright, stream of consciousness post.  Let's say that we offer a 4 year/78 million dollar extension which, combined with the two he just signed, averages out to 17 million per year, and makes him a nine figure guy.  Now you're in the realm of Josh Beckett and Jake Peavy.  With Harper and Strasburg coming up soon, is that too much for J-Zimm.

Kershaw just got 30 mill a year.  J. Zimm isn't Kershaw, but he's not going to take 6 years at 84 million.  I think the pitchers market is changing, so to speak, and these guys are watching salaries rise every year.

Zimm is going to take at least 100 mill overall, most likely.

I don't think the team gained any leverage in anything by giving him 24 million over the next two years.  I think it makes it harder to trade him because you won't get good value unless you eat some salary.

Kershaw just got 30 mill a year.  J. Zimm isn't Kershaw, but he's not going to take 6 years at 84 million.  I think the pitchers market is changing, so to speak, and these guys are watching salaries rise every year.

Zimm is going to take at least 100 mill overall, most likely.

I don't think the team gained any leverage in anything by giving him 24 million over the next two years.  I think it makes it harder to trade him because you won't get good value unless you eat some salary.

I agree with you on Zimm. He will get his $100m+ contract.

The $24m/2yr deal doesn't bother me. Considering a run to the WS in '14 & '15, I'm hoping the Nats aren't looking to dump him at the trade deadline in '15. And assuming the '15 season turns to crap, hold Zimm & get an extra 1st round pick if he signs elsewhere. Hopefully the young ML arms are ready to step in for '16. 

I agree with you on Zimm. He will get his $100m+ contract.

The $24m/2yr deal doesn't bother me. Considering a run to the WS in '14 & '15, I'm hoping the Nats aren't looking to dump him at the trade deadline in '15. And assuming the '15 season turns to crap, hold Zimm & get an extra 1st round pick if he signs elsewhere. Hopefully the young ML arms are ready to step in for '16.

I'm not upset by it. At some point good teams have to make tough decisions on players. It might turn out to be the best thing to let zimm walk in two years. We have a lot of God players who are going to be looking to get paid, deservedly so and we can't pay all of them.

I'm not upset by it. At some point good teams have to make tough decisions on players. It might turn out to be the best thing to let zimm walk in two years. We have a lot of God players who are going to be looking to get paid, deservedly so and we can't pay all of them.

I never knew Nat fans were as bad as Redskins fans at over valuing their own.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/grant-balfour-washington-nationals-reliever-drew-storen-rafael-soriano-tyler-clippard-011914

A new team is in the mix for free-agent reliever Grant Balfour, and it’s none other than a potential World Series contender.

The Washington Nationals saved approximately $3.5 million Friday by signing shortstop Ian Desmond and right-hander Jordan Zimmermann to back-loaded, two-year extensions.

The team’s motivation, according to major league sources, was to create financial flexibility. The Nationals have two remaining arbitration cases. They have made no secret that they want to add another bat off the bench. But they also are interested in Balfour, sources said.

While the Nationals already have three relievers with closing experience - Rafael Soriano, Tyler Clippard and Drew Storen - the addition of Balfour could make sense for a variety of reasons.

The Nats almost certainly do not want Soriano to pitch enough games to vest his $14 million option for 2015. They likely prefer Clippard as a setup man and, according to sources, would like to trade Storen, who will earn $3.45 million this season.

One profile I read about JZimm was that he is a very quiet guy who generally keeps to himself. He really likes being home in Wisconsin. I'm not sure how much he's taken to DC. I'd say look for him to go to Milwaukee (not sure they have the money), the Cubs, the Tigers, or the Cardinals, if he doesn't stay here.

I am already a big fan of Blevins, dude is hilarious.

Asked on the radio this afternoon what he would think if he were a hitter and had to face himself:

"I'm going to see a lot of awkward length and skinny limbs coming at you," Blevins joked. "You're going to see a guy that throws strikes. He's able to command his pitches, and hopefully, definitely if I'm facing myself, I'm going to get myself out because I probably will never be able to hit a baseball."

I don't think anybody is overvaluing this team preseason...or last year either. They still finished at like 86 wins after that awful 1st half. This team if coached well and healthy will fight for the division again. Hopefully (noticed what I said that) they are a lot more mature now and are ready to take the next step.

I'm more disappointed we couldn't get O'Flaherty but I think his decision was driven by his personal life's needs (mother or grandmother has cancer in Seattle or something like that).

Still, 7 million for a season and a half of what could be a top 5 reliever in baseball is chump change.

Here's a wacky thought, long range... Have Bryce Harper convert to either 3B or 1B.  They already converted him from a catcher to extend his career.  He has the tools and the innate baseball skills to make the transition to either of those two positions.  I could see him as a first baseman in his later years. 

Genius, or idiotic?

Think they are hoping Skole is ready mid-year if Laroche isn't hitting.  

If LaRoche isn't hitting, I think its more likely they look for somebody during the trade deadline. Skole will be in the mix, but they may want a veteran who won't be shaken by a potential playoff run.

Here's a wacky thought, long range... Have Bryce Harper convert to either 3B or 1B.  They already converted him from a catcher to extend his career.  He has the tools and the innate baseball skills to make the transition to either of those two positions.  I could see him as a first baseman in his later years. 

Genius, or idiotic?

Barring injury, thats at least a decade away. He has arguably strongest throwing outfield arm in baseball, it would be a shame to waste it at first base.

If LaRoche isn't hitting, I think its more likely they look for somebody during the trade deadline. Skole will be in the mix, but they may want a veteran who won't be shaken by a potential playoff run.

Did LaRoche ever get his meds squared away?  His weight loss just ruined him last season at the plate...

Shooting an animal with a gun isn't that big of a deal. Animals don't even shoot back. It's only marginally impressive with a bow.

Didn't kill it for meat. Wasn't threatening his life. Just killed the animal because he thought it was cool/fun.

Not to derail the thread... but I'll give you a bow and five arrows and let you loose in the woods for a month.

I promise you'll lose at least 40 pounds if you last the month.

Haters gon hate.

Has McGlouth ever played any infield?

No and if we're relying on him for offense (other than platoon) we're in trouble

Think they are hoping Skole is ready mid-year if Laroche isn't hitting.  

Yea, I don't like that plan either.

Genius, or idiotic?

I'd rather convert Werth to first base. Or Zimmerman.

Not to derail the thread... but I'll give you a bow and five arrows and let you loose in the woods for a month.

I promise you'll lose at least 40 pounds if you last the month.

Haters gon hate.

WTF does that have to do with Laroche killing an animal for fun? Mountain lion meat is **** and he clearly doesn't need the pelt for warmth. So, basically, he killed an animal because he thought it was fun.

And I'd die of the elements long before I died of hunger.

Archived